PDA

View Full Version : Five Years for LHR Bomb "Hoax"

Airbubba
11th Oct 2002, 20:40
The phony bomb threat is a classic ploy in some countries where punctuality is a novel concept. American Airlines got in trouble after the Cali crash for mentioning this in a Latin America guide (see http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/pilotguide2.shtml )

A Columbian was convicted in STL a few years ago of phoning in a bomb threat to LAX so his girlfriend could make a connection on an Asian carrier.

October 11, 2002

Man Sentenced in London Airport Hoax
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Filed at 3:41 p.m. ET

LONDON (AP) -- A 23-year-old man was sentenced Friday to serve five years in prison after claiming there were explosives aboard a plane at London's Heathrow airport.

Yasrub Hussain Shah arrived at the airport for a flight to Pakistan on July 28, but was told he was too late to board. He became angry and told check-in staff that if he could not board, the plane would not leave, prosecutors told Isleworth Crown Court.

Moments later, Shah called police from his mobile phone and said: "Pakistan International Airlines, there is a bomb on it leaving at 8 p.m.''

The call sparked a security alert, and passengers and luggage were unloaded from the plane while officers searched the aircraft. No bomb was found.

Detectives traced the call to Shah's mobile phone, and when he arrived at Heathrow four days later for an another flight he was arrested.

Shah, from Luton, near London, pleaded guilty to making the hoax call.

steamchicken
12th Oct 2002, 15:20
A character in Martin Amis's Money did this at JFK...good to see life imitating art!

Notso Fantastic
14th Oct 2002, 15:18
141 Just hides your number from the recipient of the call- it is still easily traceable. This character hardly deserves to be locked up- more given a prize for total stupidity- almost a living Darwin award winner!

The real bomber does not announce a false warning after going through the trouble to get one in place. The joker who leaves a bomb message on a toilet mirror is just that, a joker. It really is time these hoaxes were disregarded without backup supporting information. It is a hoaxers charter- one that I have suffered from more than once.

sidewalk
12th Nov 2002, 13:11
"The joker who leaves a bomb message on a toilet mirror is just that, a joker".............Not so fantastic.

Disagree.
No, that's too weak a response.
Bullsh*t.

ME airline B737 on ground, full pax.
Large amount of smoke from rear toilet.
Toilet door opened.
Bomb message.....written on mirror.
Door opening followed by sudden increase in smoke.
Aircraft safely evacuated.
Fire service arrives.....smoke source found and dealt with.
Three hours later it was confirmed there was no bomb on board.
However Security smelt a rat..............two fire extinguishers with the pins pulled were discovered by said toilet door.....yet they had not been discharged.
Why would.................?
Security not under the same constraints as their Western counterparts.
They wanted answers, so they slapped the cabin crew around because they now knew this was a setup and it had to be cabin crew, because of the undischarged fire extinguishers.
A personal search revealed that a steward had incendiary material and a warning note in his briefcase .
The note matched the mirror message verbatim,right down to the misspellings!
So they slap him around with extra enthusiasm now and he admitted setting the scene but he panicked at the amount of smoke and he bailed out with the rest of them ,before he got a chance to demonstrate his hero status, leaving behind the two fire extinguishers he had planted in position.
OK, you say, proves your point, not a REAL threat, nobody about to die etc etc
Whoa!!
They dug a little deeper.
This steward had been held in high regard because he had recently, singlehandedly extinguised an INFLIGHT toilet fire on a 747......same MO minus the bomb message. This guy identified the threat and had it out before any of the other crew had even recognised a problem.
Yes.....he set that one too.

An inflight toilet fire deliberately set by a lunatic ...that was one lucky aircraft.

So please do a rethink before you tell anyone that you understand how such a mind works, or to what lengths they will go, or what constitutes a real or imagined threat, because it defies analysis.

The above affair concluded in a manner which I thoroughly endorse but I gather from your post you probably will not.

About a month later, after Friday prayers, they topped the guy.

Basil
14th Nov 2002, 08:53
I'd tend to agree with Notso Fantastic.
In the case of the ME incident the 'supporting information' was there in the form of smoke from the toilet.
Nevertheless it's always satisfying to catch the culprit although, in the west, we may consider the punishment a little harsh for a nutter - ooyabas! :eek:
I was present at an 'enhanced interrogation' in another land - it worked. We knew the little sod was guilty - it just took a local police sergeant a short time to persuade him to admit it!

Chuck K
14th Nov 2002, 23:40
Five years in jail after he'd admitted it!
Lucky he didn't fight and lose.
I thought we were tough. :eek: