PDA

View Full Version : Life Without The Major Airlines

louvois
11th Oct 2002, 18:00
LIFE WITHOUT THE MAJOR AIRLINES...........is it so uncomprehendable ???: confused:

Of course I am also a wannabe on a grand scale, however I am not convinced that the majors airlines are always the way forward, for the reasons that are primarily discussed on these forums. Namely money!!

After leaving my position of being furnished with a decent cheque at the end of the month and all the other benefits that came with it, I decided to start flying. Not for financial gain that I was used ( it could never compare), but for the love of flying. Of course, in an ideal scenario one would love to be paid fortunes to fly, however I feel that sooner or later one could feel restricted in their potential position of flying for a major airline in the same fashion that one felt for a change, prior to leaving their previous job. If you can imagine the red tape and hierarchy B*llsh*t that you could have experienced in your previous job, I'm sure it doesn't even compare with the connotations that the major airlines impose.

Is it always the natural course of progression for wannabe pilots to strive for the airline jobs just because they want a RHS in a 747, or the potential remuneration that a captains position could provide (one day). I'm sure there are equally as many unhappy airline pilots as there are unhappy wannabes. Long unpredictable hours, never at home, never see the kids, limited social life etc.etc.etc…… Of course I can only talk from a wannabe position (maybe there should be a forum for 'Unhappy pilots') but airlines are no different from other big corporates.
My question therefore is this. Notwithstanding the fact that we need to survive financially, what options are there outside of the major airlines? Teaching could have been an option for me until I was introduced to my instructor this time last year. 56 years old and 17,000 hours teaching in a piper warrior. Please………….no.

Yours optimistically

G-SPOTs Lost
11th Oct 2002, 18:20
"Ditto"

Caveat that by saying that the end justifies the means.

I can certainly sympathise, my pain was also increased by having to bust up with a very tasty girlfreind over my flying.

I have been lucky enough to get some time in a corporate jet and I would possibly ask you to reserve any judgement until you have seen the roof of a 747 pass below you at a RVSM enabled 1000ft below.

Im not type rated and still class myself as a wannabee most certainly.

I also know that if you are in the middle of your training the end just seems to get further away. You do catch up with it eventually.

Consider the corporate job... the aircraft can be challenging - the flying certainly is. A freind of mine saw 6000 feet per minute out of his Citation Excel the other day, performance like this would just not be possible in an airliner unless it was empty and light on fuel ie very rare

have you considered that a professional career is just not for you???? for everybody who new they wanted to be Mr Captain Speaking after the trial lesson there are some who are just not cut out for an aviation career.

Best wishes with what you decide!