PDA

View Full Version : Freeserve blues

Agaricus bisporus
11th Oct 2002, 16:56
I made the grave mistake of loading Freeserve onto my machine, something called "Freeserve Anytime".

I looked at teh months free trial. did not like it and now cant get rid of it. I'm running Windows XP btw.

Add/Remove programs does not list it. It won't delete bacause it is read only in the properties screen and wont allow me to change it. Needless to say Freeserve don't hav the decency to include a "remove" feature.

Any ideas? (Yes, I know, I shouldn't have loaded the dam thing in the first place, but anyway?):(

amanoffewwords
11th Oct 2002, 18:16
You should be able to remove the dial-up configuration from the Network panel in the Control Panel.

You will probably have to remove the Freeserve account from your email client (Tools--> Accounts --> Choose anything relating to Freeserve and click remove)

You may also have to undo any customisation that Freeserve may have in IE (if you use it) - that requires a registry edit or removing IE and downloading a fresh copy from the web - I don't think there is any way to clean up IE.

Having said all that XP should have an restore feature which allows you to go back to a known configuration - in your case pre-Freeserve though, since I do not run on XP, I am not sure if it goes down that level of undo.

Good luck

amofw

timmcat
11th Oct 2002, 22:22
Just delete the 'Freeserve Anytime' icon in your Dial Up Networking folder (typically in 'My Computer'). Then, delete your e-mail account for Freeserve in Outlook Express (Tools, accounts). That should do the trick.. In my experience, Freeserve is NOTHING like as invasive as AOL.

Tinker
11th Oct 2002, 22:27
Freeserve software much like AOL software can be very difficult to get rid of (I also seem to remember hearing that Tiscalli can be a problem too).
I had a problem geting rid of Freeserve, ie despite uninstalling it it kept making itself the default ISP. It burrows deep into windoze and seems to refuse to go away.
I cheated and formatted the hard drive to get rid of it. If editing the registry is the solution (and I don't know if it is or isn't), you can get a free registry editor/cleaner through this site.

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

Unless it has changed, I found it to be easy to use with either a helpfull tutorial or help section. Anyway my puter has remained unscathed since installing it. Good Luck

For what it's worth, always try to find and ISP that allows you to manualy set up your connection. It's easy to do and more importantly easier to get rid of.

ORAC
11th Oct 2002, 22:44
According to the Freeserve site they use AOL 6.0 and you uninstall that, is it in your program list?

If not, since you're using XP, have you thought about doing a system restore to the point before you installed it?

RadarContact
12th Oct 2002, 17:57
Try this (http://www.beebware.com/internet/help/freeserve/uninstallingall.html) link.

timmcat
13th Oct 2002, 19:31
I presume that those of you having problems all installed from a CD.. I created my anytime account on-line and there seems to be no changes whatsoever apart from the DUN and OE accounts (in fact, they give you the option of doing it manually, instead of using their tiny installer program). After cancelling the account and manually editing these items, my system seems as clean as ever.