View Full Version : Dropped neatly on the fairway...

Viggen
10th Aug 2001, 17:09
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/content.cfm?story=116897

Scary thing is ... I was the last to fly this plane before this unlucky guy took it out...

HomerSimpson
10th Aug 2001, 17:31
Viggen,

I guess someone up there is looking down on you!!
Do you know who the instructor was? I know one or two people over there. Email me if you want.

Regards,
Homer

big.al
11th Aug 2001, 20:49
Didn't he realise that it's a municipal golf course, and he's not allowed on unless he has booked?

And for that matter, I hope the pilot replaced the divot or the greenkeepers will be very upset (one hell of a divot that would make, perhaps they'll turn it into a new bunker). If the pilot even steered the plane between the bunkers, he's done far better than I can achieve with a three iron! The last time I hit to balls in a straight line was when I stepped on a garden rake...

GAF4139
12th Aug 2001, 22:18
Is this what golfers call a birdie? Just wondering...

GAF4139

Viggen
13th Aug 2001, 13:19
Biscuit - it's a Grob G115 (from the German glider manufacturer) and it is a delight to fly. The RAF have just started using these as their trainer, instead of the Bulldogs.
Viggen

Viggen
16th Aug 2001, 19:00
No rocket ship, but v responsive and quick in roll. Bit of a bugger to land smoothly ... or maybe that's just me.

touch&go
16th Aug 2001, 20:52
The aircrarft is a Grob G115, reg: G BOPU,and is the aircraft I did my first solo in many years ago.

Pandora
18th Aug 2001, 21:39
Touch and Go - how long ago?
I also did my first solo in BOPU, though I preferred BOPT to fly. I did mine in 1997.

You really learn to land in a Grob, they float like mad and the runway at Barton is short! Though scary, I can't imagine it would be as bad having the prop stop turning on a Grob as say, a PA28. My instructor once took me to Winter Hill where I used to paraglide, and closed the throttle of the Grob. We climbed at 100 feet per minute.

Rob 747
19th Aug 2001, 01:51
Nice Landing Mate!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Engine failure dur to lack of AVGAS. Gauges on these planes show Full when they are 'inop' :rolleyes: and you cant check the tanks visually either!. Not to bother, better look next time. :rolleyes:

Viggen
20th Aug 2001, 18:22
That's even scarier ... I landed it just before the "unlucky" guy took off ... after debating whether to do "just one more circuit" I decided to call it a day and land, rather than touch and go. One of my better decisions, as it probably wouldn't have got around again!!!!

Viggen
20th Aug 2001, 18:26
Pandora - I've now switched to BOPT, intrigued by your trick at Winter Hill, must try that sometime! Who was your instructor out of interest?

Pandora
21st Aug 2001, 13:37
Viggen,
my instructor was Pete Bradbury, last seen heading towards Blackpool in his Jag. I had lots and lots of fun in the Grobs. Ah, for the good old days. Too much time spent now trying not to spill the drinks. Another good trick is go to Blackpool for a touch and go and see if you can keep the Grob in ground effect for the length of the runway before heading off out to sea without your wheels ever touching down. You have to get the weather just right for the Winter Hill trick. Warm thermic day with a stiff breeze. Remember Grob are better known for their motor gliders and the 115 is just a big one of those really.

Anyone know of any Grob 115s for hire in the N or W London area?