PDA

View Full Version : UK CAA - Multi crew co-pilots can now log P1 time

Fright Level
10th Oct 2002, 16:09
Do you work for an airline operating with "heavy" crew members on long range sectors? I just read this interesting FODCOM from the CAA:

"Co-pilot - He may also log as pilot in command all the time he is acting as pilot in command and substituting for the designated commander of the aircraft when he is taking rest".

Also "The designated commander of the aeroplane may log as pilot in command all the flight time. This includes rest taken on board".

Link to FODCOM 24/02 (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=525)

This clearly states then, as a co-pilot I can log P1 time whilst the skipper is in the bunk/rest seat, provided I am the designated pilot in command (usually the most senior of the two co-pilots on three crew ops in my company).

Some P1 time on my heavy jet could come in useful in the event the share price continues it's downward spiral!

Rod

BlueEagle
10th Oct 2002, 21:56
Just a word of caution EDDNR, don't be surprised if, at an interview with a prospective employer, they ask you to differentiate between P1 hours gained under FODCOM24/02 and actual command time as the "designated commander".

I have seen people with Cruise Captain time logged as P1 come unstuck when applying for jobs as a captain as they had never passed a command course.:(

Smokie
11th Oct 2002, 16:52
So how do demoted Captains currently operating in the RHS log their P1 time, is it P1/S for their handling sectors and P2 for non handling or P1 and P2 respectively, as they have obviously passed their command course on the type concerned ?

BlueEagle
12th Oct 2002, 06:11
Sorry Smokie, I may not have made myself very clear.

My cautionary word was intended to highlight the distinction between 'P1' and 'Designated Commander' and my use of a command course as a criterion was ambiguous.

A demoted captain is a First Officer and should log his hours just like any other F/O.

BJBATMAN
15th Oct 2002, 18:23
In the states it is the same, alot of FAA regs stateing sole manipulator of the controls logging PIC time so i guess you can log what ever you want but in a job interview like FED EX or Alaska airlines and many others they have there own definition. I always thought it odd when I have a FO who thinks they should log PIC time when they flew the airplane on a leg, I have talked to a few captains who have had to downgrade and they all said it was stress free flying, just show up and fly the plane . And FOs after they upgrade to Captain and say it is a whole new realm they never realized. So I would think before you log PIC time because you got to hold the controls.

GlueBall
18th Oct 2002, 16:27
At my company there is only one designated PIC on any flight and he is the one who signs the logbook. A captain travelling in the Right seat, even if he is the sole manipulator of the controls for the entire flight, at captain's pay, is not credited as PIC unless he is a check airman performing a line check. In assessing PIC time, personal logbook entries, like story books, are of little interest to the company.