PDA

View Full Version : Expats?¿

GOH
10th Oct 2002, 14:54
Hi

I am a "youngen" and I just want to know about a few terms that are used around here.

1. What does it mean "working for free?"
2. Does being trained by an airline for free, eg BA mean that you are working for free?
3. What does expats mean?
4. If you are a pilot how do you become on one of the "black lists"

Thanks ;)

Actually come to think of it, I am not sure I used the right "terms"

I hope you know what I know what I mean with the "terms" above!

Sorry!
:confused:

Luke SkyToddler
10th Oct 2002, 17:38
1. Just what it says ... doing a job and not getting paid for it.

2. No. With BA for example, you're on a reduced salary for your first few years to cover your cost of training, but it still pays a damn sight more than shelf stacking at your local Woolworths if you know what I mean.

3. People from other countries who come and work in your country or vice versa ... (expatriates for short). It's basically a word that upper middle class people like airline pilots use a lot, in an attempt to distinguish themselves from regular refugees. ;)

4. A highly emotively charged subject in your country (I presume that's Perth Australia as opposed to Perth Scotland?) What it means in that context is that someone who goes and takes a flying job at an airline while there's a strike or other industrial dispute in progress. Go spend an evening searching in the Dunnunda forum under '1989', or read the Fragrant Harbour forum at present, you'll get the general idea.