PDA

View Full Version : # pilot v. # pilot jobs?

scubabri
10th Oct 2002, 02:39
Ok, so here is an interesting question. Jet-Jobs says there is about 7200 pilots who are furloghed. I am sure this doesn't cover the pilots out there who are looking for their first job or are otherwise not covered in the statistic.

So about how many flying jobs are there compared to the number of pilots who are actively looking or have a flying job.

This would give us a little bit better idea of what the chances of finding a job are and help us decide to just give up and go work at McDonalds :)

brians

A and C
10th Oct 2002, 07:58
The aviation job problem in the USA is a problem of colective mind set of the American people , in short the american public have over reacted to the terrorist threat and have made them selfs prisoners in there own towns by letting the fear of terrorisum grip them , (the radical islamics must be Pi****g them selfs laughing at the reaction of the inhbitants of the land of the brave and the home of the free) and so are not flying.

In europe the reaction to terrorisum is quite differant , if you think that a few arabs are going to get between an Englishman and his annual two weeks in the sun forget it !. the european attitude to terrorists is that to change your life because of them is to give into them and so the european buget airlines are booming.

To get a job in the USA at the moment will be hard so why not think about going abrord ,there is a whole big world outside the USA and a lot of it will recognise you FAA licences.

Who knows by the time that you get back to the good old USof A the public in general might have got back to flying.

scubabri
10th Oct 2002, 23:59
I've really considered going outta the US. In fact, I'd pretty much go anywhere that there was a job. But I have some significant challenges. 1. I've go 500TT 2. I don't have a degree 3. I have no idea where to look for jobs and 4. I don't really have the money to take a chance and get stuck someplace.

So, until I figure out how to deal with the above challenges, I'm gonna stick it out here.

Brian

AMEX
11th Oct 2002, 13:09
I can solve problem number 2.
- you will be glad to know that if you decide to go outside the US, there is very few companies requiring a degree. To use an example I know from experience, Africa is a place where "the right stuff" matters more than anything else.
No heroes of course but people who have gatherer their guts together and decided to take the plunge.

As for number 1, it varies greatly so getting a job with 500 hours isn't an impossible task but far from easy :( in normal times but even more difficult at the moment. Keep on trying though and get in touch with people (Pprune is beautiful for that).

All the best