PDA

View Full Version : PC automaticaly connecting to internet

Tinker
10th Oct 2002, 00:31
I've just installed the latest version of Zone Alarm and ever since my PC continualy tries to connect to the internet.
I assume the problem is ZA, as all was well before hand, I try to keep spyware undercontrol using the latest version of Adaware and my antivirus software is up to date (AVG).
Any thoughts ???

(XP/IE6)

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
10th Oct 2002, 09:39
If you check the overview/preferences tab of ZoneAlarm the "check for product updates automatically" option may be selected.

Background Noise
10th Oct 2002, 09:48
Dunno, I've just installed and then uninstalled the latest ZA. Previous version was fine and is fine again but the latest didn't remember any preferences etc and brought up the install/setup screen every time I rebooted - also didn't work properly across multiple user accounts. Same - XPSP1 and IE6SP1

Eboy
10th Oct 2002, 13:37
I use ZA also. My guess is there are other programs that have been accessing, or trying to access, the internet in the past, only now you are seeing it. This may be your antivirus software looking for updates, Windows Media Player looking for updates. Most of the Adobe software I have loves to check in with Adobe every 2-3 days (!?!). Those are just a few of my programs that were accessing the internet willy-nilly without my knowledge before I obtained ZA (I have DSL not a dial-up line). My guess is that is what is happening with you.

Tinker
10th Oct 2002, 16:55
Definately Zone Alarm, I've just uninstalled it (although it was reluctant at first) and the problem has stopped.
This has now allowed me to do a system restore (which I couldn't do until getting rid of the updated ZA) back to a time before the update. So basically I am using an'older version' of ZA now, and reluctant to update it again.