View Full Version : ground school

Rob 747
26th Apr 2001, 21:24
Can anybody recommend a good school for ATPL theory. I am thinking about London Guildhall Univ.
I am 21 so do you feel i may struggle with the exams. I have passed all my PPL exams above 90%
Please help
Cheers

skywaytoheaven
26th Apr 2001, 22:13
Try ATA, Coventry - yes Coventry isn't the greatest place to spent any time but this lot will really get you sorted as far as the ATPL exams are concerned. Whats the problem with being 21? - your brain should have developed as much as the average 25-30yo by now.

Strangely Brown
27th Apr 2001, 15:43
I can also recommend ATA at Coventry. The instruction really is first class. Wherever you go you must be prepared to work hard. That means doing 4 hours+ every evening after class and all day at weekends.I got 14 out of 15 first time and I'm no academic. The only people I know who have given up, gave up at this stage - so don't go on the piss 4 times a week. This is probably the most difficult stage so give yourself the best chance.

Big White Dog
27th Apr 2001, 18:15
London Guildhall University is excellent and much cheaper than most.
Beware of some places that offer "Full time Residential Courses" that are actually glorified distance learning.

Unfortunately, your PPL results are no indication of how you might do in ATPL.

Rob 747
28th Apr 2001, 19:39
Who are ATA?.
I can only find a company called that in America!!!!
Are thinking of Atlantique Air Training?.
I know they are based at Coventry and thay are also mega Dear!!!!!!!
TOP ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harvey SM
28th Apr 2001, 19:46
Have you tried PPSC in Bournmouth?
You can e-mail for a pack at [email protected]
I am starting there this July and haven't heard anything negative about the school.

nunos
28th Apr 2001, 22:30
ATA are aviation training associates and can be contacted on Tel 024 766 399 29
or www.atatraining.co.uk (http://www.atatraining.co.uk) Ive been studying with Bristol ground school distance learning module 1 and highly recommend them check out www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)

regards!!!!

STurns
28th Apr 2001, 23:25
Another one to try is Bristol Groundschool.

Their website is www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)

I'm using them for distance learning on my ATPL.

I went with them mainly for the cost, although so far (I'm only a few weeks in) I seem to be getting on fine with their study notes. You also get an "interactive" CD with animations etc. on to go with the study notes.

Regards,

STurns

redsnail
29th Apr 2001, 01:22
I am at ATA in Coventry and I can highly recommend them. The workload is fair and they do their best to get you the info you need to handle the exams. I am converting an Aus ATPL to a JAA one. Very helpful and certainly know their stuff.

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Joaquín
29th Apr 2001, 05:20
I'm also with Bristol. 3 of us attended last brush up course late in March and sat 8 JAR Navs early this month. One passed all subjects( :) ), 1 failed 1 with 74% and another one failed 2.
I think although they are a bit unexperienced about JAR (who isn't?) the notes are very clear and the brush up courses excellent.

You Aint Seen Me. Roit!
29th Apr 2001, 23:23
I recently used Bristol and I highly recommend them.
The school is run by Alex Whittingham who is probably the best groundschool instuctor that I have come across (I've met and worked with lots). The guy that teaches Met, Nav and Instruments takes a bit og getting used to, but their success rate is superb.
I passed all 9 of the national Nav Group exams after attending the 4 week course and a number of others that I have kept in contact with did the same.
ATA Coventry have a guy called Pete Lynes who works for them, who is, apparently, a bit of a star. Mike Burton also works for them and I can assure you from experience, his Tech subject lessons are superb.
I would say that its between Bristol and Coventry, I would'nt even consider the others. Having said that, its you're choice and I hope you make a good one.
Good luck whoever you choose.

Snigs
2nd May 2001, 22:09
I should put in a word for PPSC in Bournemouth. They have excellent lecturers, their consolidation course (for the correspondence students) really gives you the required focus. Their notes are pretty good, with some room for improvement, but they're getting there.

My course record is 13 out of 14 passed first time and the other %&£*^* exam failed by 1%, (waiting for the result of the resit!) I worked hard but they also worked hard for me, so I'd recommend them.

I've heard good things about the others, but I've no direct contact. IMHO Oxford is where you'll get the best feedback, but they're also a bit of a factory!

DouglasDigby
3rd May 2001, 01:13
Did mine at ATA Coventry. Highly recommended, but I also know Alex Whittingham from RAF days, so he would get a vote if the location would suit you better.