PDA

View Full Version : Running/Jogging as a Way to keep fit?

MMEMatty
9th Oct 2002, 18:50
Hi All;

After a long on again/off again relationship with a gym, i have thought that running might be a better way to keep fit, especially if i do it often enough.

Having never really done any running before, and with the gym not really being very successful I decided to have a bash; I tried to have a quick run round the block last night (I guess about 1000M total) but pulled up after 150-200M coughing and generally out of breath. Very demoralising.

So I would like some advice. What would be a reasonable distance/time to begin with? is there anything i need to be aware of, dangers etc? any tips or advice you can give me? needless to say, im not exactly the fittest guy around, nor am I Rik Waller.

Many Thanks;

Matty

rotormad
9th Oct 2002, 19:27
Well its a complicated one, how old are you, if you dont mind me asking as that does have an impact, and why are you exercising, to lose weight or just get that little bit fitter?? The reason i ask is that there are slightly easier ways to achieve certain goals, Running is an exellent way to get/stay fit but it's also very taxing on the body i.e. the knees and shins etc etc. If your not trying to become an olympic athlete and are looking to improve your general fitness levels whilst trimming alittle fat (if you have any!!) what you are looking to achieve is a heart rate of above 120bpm and to keep that level for at least 20mins. Now depending on fitness levels some can achieve this by merely taking a brisk walk while the fitter ones have to exhurt themselves a little more. You might wont to think about purchasing a heart rate monitor, Polar are very good and not over expensive, this will help you gage your fitness levels, alternativly you can do it the old fashioned way and take you pulse!!! up to you. Swimming is also an exellent way to stay fit and nearly burns as many calories as running, yet it is impact free causing virtually no damage to joints. Aim to train 3 times a week if possible min 20min CV work with your heart rate at about 120bpm or higher, but dont get it too high as this can have adverse effects. If you have any medical conditions seek a GP's advice before undertaking any serious exercise, Here ends the lesson..

Hope ive been of some help, if you need further advice just shout!!

Rotormad

MMEMatty
9th Oct 2002, 19:41
I am 18 years young, 6ft 5 and about 15.5 stones. i deally i would like to lose 0.5-1 stone, whilst also improving my fitness, but at the end of the day im not too bothered about the weight if my fitness improves.

rotormad, might take you up on the swimming, funds might prevent buying a heart rate monitor, so i guess it'll be the old fashioned method!

thanks

Matty

rotormad
10th Oct 2002, 08:41
Jesus, 18, 6'5 and 15.5 stone, i wouldn't like to meet you on a dark night!!!!

faa kit
10th Oct 2002, 11:31
I TRAINED FOR MY CAA MEDICAL BY JOGGING. I KEPT A RECORD OF GENERAL CARDIOVASCULAR FITNESS AND JOGGING TIME.
WHEN I FIRST STARTED I COULD RUN FOR ABOUT 10 MINS STOP FOR 5 MIN AND THEN CONTINUE AND A SNAILS PACE FOR A FURTHUR 10MIN PRETTY ANAEMIC. I REPEATED THIS EVERY DAY FOR 3 MONTHS AND GRADUALLY WORKED OUT THE BEST METHOD FOR CV FITNESS IS TO COMPLETELY KNACKER YOURSELF FOR THE FIRST PART OF THE RUN THEN CONTINUE UNTIL YOU HAVE BEEN JOGGING FOR AT LEAST 30MIN. YOUR HEART GRADUALLY GETS LESS SENSITIVE TO HORMONES SUCH AS ADRENALINE THEREFORE AT RESTING PERIODS YOUR BP AND PULSE RATE IS LOWER HENCE IVE GONE FROM A 140/90 TO A 120/60 AT REST WITH A PULSE RATE OF 60. I USED TO LOOK AT JOGGERS AND THINK THEY NEEDED PSYCHIATRIC HELP BUT I HONESTLY CANT RECOMMEND A BETTER WAY TO GET FIT AND THE ENDORPHIN RELEASE AFTER A HARD RUN IS MORE RELAXING THAN 3 PINTS OS STELLA (WHICH YOU SHOULD ALSO AVOID TO KEEP BP AND PR DOWN)

Fright Level
10th Oct 2002, 12:08
hAS aNYONE sEEN My CAPsLOcK KEY?

faa kit
10th Oct 2002, 22:37
nice to see you have such a dynamic sense of humour. im sure airlines would employ you on personality profile alone

spittingimage
11th Oct 2002, 12:53
Ah Matty ! You made me laugh. Most of us do not realise what a wreck of a physical state we are in until we try to improve our fitness. I didn't. Do not get me wrong, I am not mocking - I am the same weight as yourself, but aged 57, with BMI = 29.99 ! So you have all the advantages, I detect.

A lot of sense has already been posted so I will not repeat it. However, perhaps mainly for the benefit (?) of others of not quite such tender years as yourself, I append my own experience.

I started jogging about 5 years ago after a physical rest of some thirty (30) years and it was hard, man ! Coughing ? I felt so awful at first I thought I was dying !

I still do not get out as often as I should - perhaps twice a week - but can now jog 5km without dying - or coughing. My GP says don't; my AME says do. However, the latter signs the Class 1 ...

I do feel better for it and I have watched a steady if unspectacular improvement in my blood pressure. Heavens knows what my weight/BP would be if I did not jog ! I have tried swimming but I get bored doing lengths up and down. I used to cycle a lot in my youth but it is becoming, frankly, dangerous these days, with manic GTi drivers howling round country lanes. So I take to the woods nearby to run and am usually accompanied by my wife. As she is junior to me in age, height and, especially, weight, I usually have something to chase !

I would suggest perseverance, taking it comparatively easy at first and try not to have a layoff or you will surely slip backwards, surprisingly quickly; the older, the quicker. Go accompanied if you can. Avoid dark/dusk or you will surely injure yourself; I did. Keep records of your performance so that you can quantify progress. It takes a while but eventually you will actually look forward to it .....

fireflybob
11th Oct 2002, 23:23
Many points already covered so will be brief!

Are you aiming to be fit or healthy? One of America's most noted runners (can't recall the name) died of a heart attack when he went running. He was fit but not healthy.

A heart rate monitor is essential . When I go to the gym I am amazed at how few people invest in this bit of kit. Also get the book "Heart Rate Monitor Book" by Sally Edwards which will give you all the info you need.

Always do a warm up and a cool down. I do 12-15 minutes at half maximum heart rate. Do not skimp on this since to do so renders the rest of the workout less effective.

As a fit (!) 52 year old who never did any exercise 10 years ago I can say that it has made a dramatic effect on every area of my life - the biggest benefit of physical exercise is the effect it has on one mentally.

lennyzaman
14th Oct 2002, 17:31
Hi there
i'm new to this forum and this is my first message.
Now for the fitness. I REALLY suggest you go swimming. It's really relaxing and you can easily get a good condition by doing it.
I swim 3 times a week, each time 30'. At this time i only swim 1km but that's because i've had a pause for 2 months(holidays :D ).
I'm 16 years old, about 1m70 long and i weigh about 57-60kg.
I don't have a heartbeat counter, yet i suppose it's not neccesary for me as i know i just don't swim too much or too fast.(i can actually hear my own heartbeat very well while swimming... earplugs :)
Also when you're feeling you can't make that 3rd time a'week, just skip. but don't make a habit out of it.
I'm expecting to switch to 2km starting november and i want to reach 4-5km at the end of my schoolyear(June-july2003).
Btw, swimming is VERY healthy as it doesn't waste you're knees, like running could do. The only thing you do need is a bit of resistance as a swimming pool is a real puddle of germs and bacteria. i've been swimming for 3 years and a few months now of wich 3 years 1-time-a-week. I now switched to 3-times-a-week and after 1 month and a half i feel fine about it. It's not to hard, not even combined with school sports.
Btw, i'm from Belgium so that's why my english ain't perfect and i don't want to go running(cfr "Weather").. just ask METAR for EBBR during the fall, winter and spring and you'll know why ;)
Cheers

lamplighter
14th Oct 2002, 21:29
Try www.getfitta.co.uk an Army site.

gingernut
17th Oct 2002, 16:40
Some really good replies so far. I wouldn't worry too much about the heart rate stuff, medicalising exercise isn't the answer.

Aim to exercise enough to get you warm and pant ! If its making you short of breath, then its doing you good. You should, however, be able to string a sentence together without stopping for breath.

Remember all the other stuff, warm up, down, stop if dizzy or in pain, avoid when ill etc.

As for amount and frequency, the evidence is ambigous, aiming for 20mins , 3 times a week seems a sensible start.

Most of all enjoy it !

laurie
18th Oct 2002, 00:11
EDDNR,

Great post :D

faa kit,

Same could be said for your response!

On the subject of running, I don't know how much you can look into pulse rate as an indicator of fitness....

When I was in regular training doing 8 miles 3 times per week, plus some fell running/munroes here and there, I had a resting pulse of 58.

Several years, and several thousand pints of lager later, with a much lower rate of exercise, my class one recorded 54bpm. I was still exercising but knew within myself I was not operating at the former level of fitness.....

A mate of mine has a pulse rate of 70, and is a real scary ****** - goes out for MaSsIVe runs and doesn't look too distressed at the end of them.

I realise this is anecdotal stuff, but its really kept me from looking too much into bpm's.....

Last run I went on lasted three hours and my pulse reached 270. Added too much curry mix :rolleyes: