PDA

View Full Version : Internet Time

gofer
9th Oct 2002, 15:41
Yes there is such a thing and its great - a bit like UTC (or GMT or Zulu Time) for DUMMIES
Internet Time (http://www.swatch.com/fs_index.php?haupt=collections&unter=)

Now click on the light grey with an arrow on the left of internet time and select your way down the minute menus that appear - Description, converter and downloader.

The idea is brilliant - Danny can we have it on the forum next to the GMT pls.

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Ausatco
10th Oct 2002, 23:27
Gofer, old son,

Apart from substituting the current basic time interval, second, with a new one, .beat, I can't see the difference.

All the baggage and principles that apply to GMT apply to internet time, as far as I can see. But I am short sighted and astigmatic :D

AA

Captain Gidday
11th Oct 2002, 10:53
Umm, does this mean we ALL have to eat our breakfast at the same time as the Swiss eat their birchermuesli?

25F
11th Oct 2002, 15:41
It's marketing gack. An engineer would divide the day into 2^10, i.e. 1024, not 1000. Or even better, into 2^16, which would give a basic unit that's 1.32 seconds long. Why? Because the time of day can then be expressed as a 4 figure hexadecimal number in the range 0000 - FFFF. The leftmost digit divides the day into 16 - a unit that's very roughly the same as an hour. The next digit along divides that into 16, and so on. Note how the time of day automatically rolls over when you add a 1. (Could be a bit of a b*gg*r adding leap seconds, i.e. 23:59:60).

Of course, for this to make sense you then have to abandon degrees for use with longitude (what happens to that nice 15 deg = 1 hour, after all?) and introduce yet another unit of angle alongside degrees, radians, and grads. (Gradians? Can't remember, don't care, pointless unit).

The new unit would, presumably, be the binian, or bin, for short, which is pretty much where this whole idea deserves to end up.

[Edited cos the auto-censorship makes it look like you've said something *really* rude.]

Out Of Trim
12th Oct 2002, 00:25
Ehhh Doesn't make much sense - Think I'll stick to Zulu time - I understand that - And it's the same everywhere!! :rolleyes: