PDA

View Full Version : BT Broadband & Monitored Alarms

longarm
9th Oct 2002, 14:22
Can anybody tell me whether they have experience of Broadband and a monitored home alarm. I have an ADT alarm which is monitored through my phone line. BT say it should work with no problems but ADT say filters will have to be installed in the Alarm control box. If anybody can help I would be most grateful.;)

Wibble Hatstand
9th Oct 2002, 15:57
Longarm,

I have adsl and a monitored alarm on the same line, no problem - but it depends what type of monitored alarm you have.

If it is 'Redcare' or similar then the two are NOT compatible. The Redcare alarms (normally only used in high risk areas such as post offices, banks etc) are constantly in touch with the centre via an 'open' line. Similar to ADSL! If the alarm stops responding, or the line is cut, then the centre is triggered to investigate. ADSL interferes with this capability, so the unit needs filters to work properly.

With a normal home alarm, the unit simply dials out via a modem when the alarm is triggered, so uses the 'normal' phone line signal. The ADSL does not interfere with it.

Unless you are paying a significant amount for the monitoring, then you have the second, compatible type of alarm.

Hope that helps. :)

WH

touch&go
9th Oct 2002, 22:02
Wibble is right, most domestic alarms use a digi to connect to central station, but Red Care can not be shared with your SDSL connection. I had to go to the expence of an extra line to have Red Care and ADSL.

longarm
19th Oct 2002, 12:52
Thanks for the replies, my alarm is a bog standard ADT dial up monitored alarm without redcare so if its similar to yours I hope it should work. Problem is that BT won't guarantee it and won't cancel my contract if for any reason it doesn't. Is yours similar Wibble and if so do you need to install filters between the alarm and the telephone outlet thingy (technical stuff isn't my forte). Please help because this bloody slow dial up is driving me crazy !

Lost_luggage34
19th Oct 2002, 15:50
Can't see why you should have a problem.

Don't know if you are doing the self-install option with the splitters. Recommend that any equipment such as an alarm system, Sky box etc are connected (hardwired) directly from the voice part of the ADSL faceplate on the Master socket via extension wiring and not via a splitter.

I have found that the splitters don't split too well and you get too much background noise (generally a tone on the line) which can upset some devices with built in modems such as an alarm system.

And if you are using BT and have a spare £70 go and buy your own ADSL modem. Don't use the Alcatel frog - unreliable at best. Having endured 12 months of appauling service I bought a Zoom ADSL modem - service has never been better.

Good luck - enjoy Broadband,