PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 - I passed!

baldwinm
9th Oct 2002, 12:56
I got my class 1 medical certificate through the post a few days ago.

It wasn't all plain sailing as my eyes were slightly outside the limits for refractive error due to astigmatism. The CAA invited me to come for an "eyes-first" examination so that I would only have to pay for the eye test if I failed at this stage. Luckily the opthamologist said that as my corrected vision was very good they could pass my eyesight as being within the limits, given the allowance for "experimental error". Phew!

That wasn't the end of it of though. I struggled with the Ishara (?) plates in the colour blindness test - was it a 6 or a 5? I have done similar tests in the past with no problems. So then I had to do a lantern test which I failed, struggling with the whites and greens. I then was made to sit in the dark for 20 minutes whilst my eyes "adjusted". It was sheer hell, wondering whether I was going to fail, after managing to pass the vision test which I had spent so much time worrying about. However the lantern test was repeated in the darkened room and it was perfectly obvious to me what the colours where.

The rest of the examinations went fairly smoothly other than my cholestrol being slightly high - you can't fail on that though. Having a strobe light flashed a few inches from your face whilst wired up for the eeg was a bit unnerving though.

All in all the staff were extremely pleasant and you got the feeling that they really want you to pass.

Good luck to anyone else having their initial examination in the near future and relax, it can't be that bad if I passed!

Number Cruncher
10th Oct 2002, 17:07
Jeez! Close shave then?!

Good on you anyway. I had mine earlier this week and was wondering how long it took them from the date of your examination to receiving the certifcate?!?

baldwinm
11th Oct 2002, 08:06
They said it would take up to ten days - it took seven for mine to arrive.

A pretty good service, really.

mrwassen
14th Oct 2002, 06:01
Thumbs up and congrats on your class 1 baldwinm!!

My 18 year old is in a similar situation: he failed the Ishahara, the Anomalospe and the Farnsworth Lantern but managed to pass the Keystone binocular. This ensured him a class 1 FAA medical.

However, he is interested in getting a class 1 medical under JAA. Does anyone know where he can get tested out on the JAR alternate approved tests (i.e. Holmes Wright, Beynes or Spectrolux lanterns) before making an appointment with the medical examiner him/herself? (preferably in the states - we live in CA).

Thanks in advance!

mrwassen

Holryn
14th Oct 2002, 13:42
baldwinm,

Any chance of letting us know what your eyesight prescription is? I'm just outside the limits for the regs but I'd be interested to know how far out you were/are.

Also, how did you go about getting the invite for the 'eyes-first' exam?

Anyways, well done on getting your Class 1.

Paul

baldwinm
14th Oct 2002, 15:01
Paul,

check your private messages.

I sent an email with my prescription to the caa at

'[email protected]'.

They replied suggesting I came down for an "eyes first" exam. They didn't make me pay anything until after the exam, but would have only charged me for the eye test (£69 ? ), rather than the full £400 if I had failed.

Malcolm

long final
14th Oct 2002, 16:31
Malcolm,

I meant to ask when I mailed you the other day - did they tell you if you had passed on the day? I'm booked in next week and would like to know if you are put out of your misery and the end of the examination ;)

Cheers,
Danny

Number Cruncher
14th Oct 2002, 18:08
They are unlikely to tell you on the same day, reason being the chest x-ray and EEG need further expert analysis.

I attended Gatwick last Tuesday, called them up on the Friday and was told the certificate was on its way in the post!

Good luck!

Holryn
15th Oct 2002, 08:47
QUOTE Baldwinm

Paul, check your private messages.

Thanks Malcolm.

My prescription is similar to yours so I'm hoping the outcome will be as positive as well.

I'm sending of the email to the CAA right now!

Thanks again.

Paul

Vix
17th Oct 2002, 15:09
CONGRATULATIONS !!!

Does anyone know where I'd find info on a class 2 medical?:) :) :)

Kefuddle_UK
18th Oct 2002, 14:03
baldwinm,

Congrats mate! I concur with your view of the medical staff. I definately got the impression that they hoped for a positive result nearly as much a me. Thanks CAA :)

Luckily I had no problems at all and whizzed through the process. I was very very relieved.

Just like you my cholesterol was very slightly on the high side. I changed my diet immediately and have already lost 0.5 stone :)

Don't it feel great knowing your as fit as a fiddle :D

Good luck,
Kef.

long final
18th Oct 2002, 20:26
Vix,

Med Specs (http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/document.asp?groupid=211)

All you need to know.

LF

jonathang
20th Oct 2002, 15:53
Congrats :))

It is great when the uncertainty falls away :)