PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook

SOPS
9th Oct 2002, 08:14
I parked next to a G reg A320 yesterday from Thomas Cook. Anyone shed any light on whp they are, is this another "re brand". (And yes, I know they are a large travel company:D )

RadarContact
9th Oct 2002, 11:15
The german "Thomas Cook" aircraft were all formerly Condor owned. Condor was bought by Thomas Cook and obviously someone figured out that the new name would be more successful (stupid, really).
Interestingly, there are several different stages of the repainting to be seen. it seems someone has run out of blue paint or the money to buy it...

expedite_climb
9th Oct 2002, 11:35
Actually not quite right...

C&N Touristic (owned by amongst others Lufthansa), who is the Tour Ops of condor, bought Thomas Cook (UK). (i.e. the other way round !)

They decided that Thomas Cook was such a good international brand to change C&N to Thomas Cook AG. They are rebranding all airlines to Thomas Cook as well. This includes jmc in the uk, Condor in Germany, and Sun Express in Turkey. It will be the largest charter airline brand in europe.

The aircraft you saw will have been an ex cale and ex jmc one. After the collapse in belgium a year ago, TCAG sent aircraft to rescue their passengers who were on Citybird (was it ?). These were mostly jmc aircraft. In march this year a new airline was launched in Belgium, Thomas Cook Airlines Belgium using 5 A320's that became available in the group due to jmc downsizing by 5 busses. These were repainted and the plan is to re-register them, but some are still on the british reg.

Have a look on www.airliners.net for Thomas Cook Belgium and Thomas Cook (condor) colours. jmc start painting the aircraft next month, and Thomas Cook Airlines Europe is launched at the end of next march.

SOPS
10th Oct 2002, 17:07
:) Thanks for the info guys, regards SOPS