PDA

View Full Version : Gear To Take On The Great Job Search

CurtissJenny
8th Oct 2002, 23:07
OK. You have have got the CPL ticket and have decided to do the great Drive-Around in search of that elusive first charter job.

Now the question is asked, what gear should you take with you, or later came to realise you should have taken, to make life liveable or more comfortable. And all to go in your car or ute.

Examples being perhaps an electric fan, a BBQ, camp stretcher, folding chair, folding table, lock-up gear box etc.

Over to you UGALs' and others with 'Job seeking experience'.

Relaxed Redback
9th Oct 2002, 01:11
Always take Insect Spray .Sunblock. Your favourite music (It can get lonely).One container of Inspiration.
MOST OF ALL...............One container of Persistance.
The first job I ever had , I inherited from a pilot who decided to tell the boss where he thought he may be able to jam his job.
He looked out the window where I was washing his sad aeroplanes and waved me over. He said "see that car driving off" .I said " yes "."He just made a bad career move. Before I look at the hundreds of resumes in the draw, how about you go take a shower,we go for a fly ,and if that works ok, you can start today.!"
So you also need to take a little luck. ;)

Wizofoz
9th Oct 2002, 02:44
SERIOUSLY

Take a Taxi license and/or a bar certificate. Find a place with a relitively large GA industry (The usual suspects, Alice, Katherin,Kunnunurra), get known, get a non-flying job, keep in touch and WAIT!!

Sooner or later they get caught out and need a casual, then get a contract and need a part-timer, one of their full-timers goes to QF.......

Best of luck, and I'm sure you will look back at this as being the most rewarding experience of your life.

Paul Alfred
9th Oct 2002, 02:50
Thats a great story RR. You think **** like that will never happen....its great to read that it still does!

Dont forget the J@J 'No more tears' shampoo!!!

Cheers and all the best.

PA;)

compressor stall
9th Oct 2002, 03:10
Your right hand. It gets lonely out there.:p

Relaxed Redback
9th Oct 2002, 03:51
The strangest part is that once you get that first job whatever it is it will lead to another.The saying that it is easy to get a job when you are employed is very true of aviation .
I also believe that the aviation market has to improve !

Pseudonymn
9th Oct 2002, 05:28
Don't forget the Fishing Rods, either, as they can fill in a weekend or two while you are waiting for that first job. Especially in Kununurra in Barra season.

compressor stall
9th Oct 2002, 05:55
I might have mislead you there, the hand is for when you get that posting out the the community.

When you are waiting in Darwin, Kununurra, Broome etc (not Katherine) stay at a backpackers. Get to know the staff. They will usually look after you by putting nice room mates in with you, and before you know it, you will be travelling the world from between your sheets. :p

the looka
9th Oct 2002, 07:24
Ovaries. Helps out during those peskey job interviews as the interviewer is thinking about how much work his right hand has been getting lately. :eek:

U2
9th Oct 2002, 08:53
I have said in another topic that you shouldn't just drive aimlessly around highway 1. Find a plac e to base yourself and find a job of any sort. You can spend weekends or days off travelling and hunting for a job.

If you do go from place to place frequently then spend some time and money seeing the sites.

I did the great journey around parts of the country and regret not slowing down to smell the flowers. I missed out on wonderful points of interest and scenery because I was frustrated about not flying and in a rush. Once you get a job you will not have the opportunity to travel and tour.

What to take on the trip? Cash and a brand new credit card!

No.....make it two brand new credit cards.

U2

CurtissJenny
9th Oct 2002, 12:45
Lets keep the thread on track guys. The thread is practical things to take.
Thinking about it I guess a good quality box of tools for car and aircraft use would not go astray.
What else?
Handing over to you guys who have done the big drive-around in search of that first flying job.

redsnail
9th Oct 2002, 14:00
The drive itself. (I did the big drive in Jan/Feb 94)
Water, plenty of it. At least 5 litres emerg water.
10 litres emergency fuel.
Engine oil
Fan belt/timing belt.
Top and bottom water hoses for your car.
Basic tools.
Take a cooler bag for your drinks. ie more water.
Get the car serviced.
If you can afford it, put good tyres on the car. Hot tarmac and long high speed driving will take their toll.
Plenty of CD's :D
Keep your family informed of where you are.
Do NOT sleep on the side of the road going through the centre of Oz. Stay in hotels/BnB's/backpacker places instead. A lot safer.

Things required when you are "there".
the usual flying stuff.
passport - useful for ID when opening bank accounts etc
a sleeping bag that zips right open. Makes for a cheap doona.
pillow is useful
white shirts (get a couple) May not need but useful any way.
If you are in a place like Kununurra, take your fishing gear (if you fish), water ski gear (if you ski), crash helmet etc. Snorkelling gear (Broome/Darwin) etc. You get the idea.
In other words,things that you can't easily buy in a remote area.
Get a laptop computer. Easier to lug around than a desk top. If nothing else, your resume on disk.
hats
cossies
some enjoyable books
stubbie cooler
esky
portable CD/MD player (computer can be good)

plenty of optimism, you'll need it.

Good luck

Aussiebert
9th Oct 2002, 16:53
I haven't gone on the big job hunt yet but have travelled quiet a bit in other pursuits...

mobile phone!

sure it might not work everywhere but when you have to call home for money it is sure to come in handy :D

I've also found travelling around (in a different industry) that you can't underestimate the value of a comfy bed (beats smelly floors or band rooms at pubs). buy an airbed, its light, cheap and comfy

I'd also recomend buying a roll of Gaff. you can fix anything with gaff, and i know that i have (including an aircraft on one occasion, and a radiator... which lasted 4 hours on a gaff patch)

plenty of clothing, especially underwear. it can double as a pillow when need be

torch

food

cordial. theres some pretty bad tasting water out there

sunscreen, hat etc

High Altitude
9th Oct 2002, 23:16
All of your flying equipment is probably #1, doesn't look to professional if you can't do a chk ride cause ya got no gear. Also make sure ya got that one page resume...

I did it 11 years ago on a bus from ML... although I think I spent more sime drinking with backpackers that looking for work.

As with your first GA job it will be a time of your life that you never forget.

And don't forget like mentioned earlier take that big can of inspiration and persistance, employers can be real pricks... (trust me)...

Capt EFIS
11th Oct 2002, 02:34
Get yourself a UHF Radio. They are more usefull than a mobile phone when travelling between large towns. If you get stuck on the side of the road, 9 times out of 10 you will be able to contact someone, even if it is only a truck driver.

Make sure your car is in good condition, get someone to service it before you take it on the trip, and like others said before, take emergency gear with you, ie. Water, Oil etc.

While your out there, do the tourist thing as well, as if you do get a job it could be a long while before you get another chance to visit those areas again.

Best of luck with it all,

Cheers,
Capt EFIS.

PS. I did the same thing back in '94, and finally found myself work at Alice Springs.

liquid_gold
11th Oct 2002, 07:03
Don't forget about the heater hoses.

scrambler
12th Oct 2002, 05:06
The Heater Hoses and Fan Belts are a great idea, fit them before you head out and keep the old ones as spares. Nothing worse than having to use up all your spare water filling the radiator.

Don't rush the trip. You may arrive at your chosen destination a couple of days earlier but you certainly won't feel like chasing jobs after driving huge hours every day.

RYAN TCAD
12th Oct 2002, 06:24
Take a whole lotta PATIENCE with you too. I'm sure many agree.:cool:

Raingauge
12th Oct 2002, 14:36
Country Mints, and Strawberrys and Cream. A long distance drive just isn't the same without them.

Mainframe
12th Oct 2002, 22:03
Mobile phone, BUT make sure it's CDMA. If you have GSM (digital) you can take your existing number to the CDMA network.

Why CDMA? Cos the Guvmint has seen fit to put a cell in every (aboriginal) community with more than 500 population. It works where digitals do, and most of the outback where you can't use your digital. Telstra's coverage maps do not reflect the most up to date coverage, but they have been on a rampage out there installing new cells at a phenominal rate.

So if you've already got a notebook, get a data cable and you can still get your Pprune fix.

As for the other stuff, buy the relevant WAC's for the areas you think you'll get lucky ( and a Darwin VTC, you'll probably fly in there even if you don't get a job there).

I've had pilots turn up without WACs and even without a headset !. You're not going flying without either.

RYAN TCAD
13th Oct 2002, 05:22
OK Jen, i'd go for the 20 litre gerry can for fuel - err and patience too!:cool:

liquid_gold
13th Oct 2002, 12:08
My memory is coming back.......

Leave the front seat empty!! That way you can pick-up any good looking female hitch-hikers. You'll never, never know..........:D

Transition Layer
15th Oct 2002, 01:08
If you can't get your hands on a CDMA phone, at the very least make sure it is a Telstra one. The other companies just don't have the coverage out here. Just go for a pre-paid which you can always top up with a credit card and a phone call from anywhere.

If you have another number (i.e. Vodafone) divert it to your pre-paid Telstra just in case you get 'that' call from an employer with your old number. Exactly what happened to me.

Take some study notes with you. Once you do start flying you will find you need something challenging your mind from time to time.

Most of all, take an open mind. You'll see some very different things out here...

Cheers,
TL

Kenfly747
15th Oct 2002, 08:04
Greeting all,

Just a quick question,
If I bring along a UHF radio, which channel should I
stay on when in emergency?

Cheers,
Ken

Wing Root
15th Oct 2002, 09:01
On UHF CB Channel five is the nominated emergency channel.
However most people on highways (Like Truckies) monitor channel 40.

sky below
16th Oct 2002, 08:19
Hi guys,
Am probably looking at doing "The Big Trip" in Jan/Feb 03 (love the wet season).
Having travelled in the outback a bit I will also recommend the additional water and fuel. Also food in case Huey turns the taps on and the roads turn to mud and travel is not possible or the police close the roads to preserve them.
Just remember to cater for the basics:
Water
Food
Shelter

The UHF radio is a good idea incase you want to pass road trains. This is so you can let them know that you are coming.
Have a great trip, see lots of this great country

SB:cool: :cool: :cool:

Towering Q
19th Oct 2002, 11:27
Don't forget the humble rubber thongs.

They will protect your feet from tinea and allow you to shower in the worst caravan park ablution blocks. :eek:

Avoid fancy ones with fabric straps, they take too long to dry and stink when stored in your bag.

cjam
22nd Oct 2002, 05:14
A small puppy will keep you company, warn you of approaching animals whilst sitting around the campfire and can be used for emegency rations if need be.

strewth
23rd Oct 2002, 10:41
Two things I've noticed that people "forget"

A NVFR and a Dangerous Goods Awareness Certificate

Happy hunting

Mainframe
23rd Oct 2002, 12:54
Strewth, right on mate, seen it so many times I'm sure the flying schools forget to tell the new CPL that he can't fly people or freight on an AOC without a DG certificate.

And yes, the Night VFR rating. I can hear the howls of protest already "what about my instrument rating?" .

Contrary to popular misbelief, you will often do a drop off charter and need to bring the 206 / 210 / 207 home after dark no pax, just you on board.

The aircraft is usually Night ops capable but not IFR, so you need a night VFR or training hours and experience equivalent to the issue of a NVFR, and an instrument rating as per cao 40.xx.xx.

And you won't believe how hard it is to get the 100 hrs night for the ATPL unless you're a bank runner, so it helps more than you realise. ( the 1,500 hrs and the 75 instrument come easy enough, but not the night hrs).

And don't forget the WAC's for the area you hope to be in.