PDA

View Full Version : Who's been accepted for sponsorship after admitting to reading PPRUNE ?

Bleep
8th Oct 2002, 20:56
I know this has probably been answered a thousand times, but it's something I would like to know. Is there anybody out there who has been asked whether or not they read/contribute to PPRUNE during an interview ? And if so, have they been honest in their reply and yet still been accepted for sponsorship ? I ask this because I personally have always been honest and said "yes" (whenever I have actually got that far that is !!) under the perhaps naive assumption that anyone seriously interested in aviation will have stumbled across PPRUNE at some stage, ar at least heard of it. Surely, if you are an aviation/flying enthusiast they would smell a rat if you tried to pretend you've never heard of PPRUNE !? Am I committing a big NO NO here by saying I read the forums - I have heard some companies can get rather sensitive about this subject !? Your thoughts and replies would be much appreciated....

Bleep.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Oct 2002, 21:40
Just say " Yes I read but I have never posted".

I *really* wouldn't worry about it - hell there are PPRuNe Admins and Moderators in most airlines in the country and with 50,000+ subscribers there can be NO airlines without avid readers.

It might be a good idea to compose beforehand answers to queries along the lines of "So you say you read PPRuNe - do you think that it is a welcome devlopment in aviation and if so why?".

Its the kind of left field question they can through at you which leaves you fumbling IF you haven't given it 5 minutes thought beforehand.

I doubt the outcome of ANY interview would depend on you answering either way but its the kind of thing thats fun to through in to an interview to see how Bloggs works when flustered.

In each case when they do that a good exit strategy is to:

1) Ooh I haven't really thought about it as being a positive of negative...

2) I suppose I would think it is X, Y & Z...

3) Out of interest what is your view? Do you think its negative?

They will then in all likelihood move swiftly on.

The BEST preparation for sitting on the interviewee side of the desk is to have spent time on the interviewer side of the desk. I have had PLENTY of experience of both and almost relish the cut and thrust of a good interview these days.

Practice interviews are an invaluable tool. There may be opportunity for the enterprising to arrange a few at the upcoming Wannabes Seminar...

Good luck,

9th Oct 2002, 10:22
My sponsorship form asked: 'Where did you hear about our sponsorship?', so I duly wrote 'www.pprune.com'.

Didn't make any difference as my application was successful........

I don't think pprune is viewed in a similar light to certain unions which can often scare off employers from their potential employees!