View Full Version : A new PPL gonnabe(?) with a few simple questions

Ian_Wannabe
10th Aug 2001, 01:59
Hello!
I'm going to be doing my PPL(A) next summer (wohoo!!) and so I'd like to know what extra costs there will be.
I'm trying to find out, after I've spent my £5,000 'ish to get my PPL, how much on average will I have to spend each time I go out for a flight? On essentials such as fuel etc.

Also, what are the views of learning to fly in the USA and learning to fly in the UK??
Which is better and less time consuming etc.??

Thanks & happy flying :)

SouthXross
10th Aug 2001, 13:02
Where are based?

Perfect PFL
10th Aug 2001, 19:42
After you've done your PPL you can expect to pay anywhere from about £55 to £95 an hour for your flying, depending where you go and what you fly.

As for whether to do it in US or UK, I think that depends how quickly you want to do it, and what you want to do afterwards.
If you just want to get a PPL as quickly as possible as a stepping stone for airline sponsorships, then go and do it in the USA as it'll be cheaper and quicker. If you want to do it so that you can fly in this country on your PPL, and take mates flying or whatever, then I would say that you are better off doing the PPL here in the first place.

Hope this helps a bit. :)

JT8
10th Aug 2001, 20:36
jeez,

Its times like this I wish I was living up north - £55/hr yes please! Im paying £99/hr for a PA28-140.....no no wait, I forgot- it can be cheaper! The 1960 C150 is a bargain at £85/hr. Yes that is SOLO!!!!! :eek:

Anyone wanna lend me some ££'s??! :confused:

JT8 :)

SKYYACHT
10th Aug 2001, 23:10
Not to mention Medical costs, Charts once a year, (£12.99 each!) Travel insurance with flying as crew cover (Essential IMHO if you intend doing ANY flying abroad!) £99.00 pa.
12 Hours per year currency, Further education costs such as Night Rating, IMC rating (and their subsequent renewals!) Memberships of clubs/organisations (Recommend AOPA/PFA etc) It all mounts up - but what the heck - who gives a tuppeny toss, cos the pure pleasure makes it all worth while.

Tailwinds, and heres to a full logbook and empty bank account!
] :cool:

Echo Echo
11th Aug 2001, 02:12
I always feel so sorry for you guys. I'm renting an IFR equiped 172 for $35.,wet, pr. hr. which is 24.60 in a British pound. Don't know how ANYBODY over there can afford to fly! :eek:

Ian_Wannabe
11th Aug 2001, 02:20
Thanks guys/girls.

lol, bit of a shocker for a 16 yr old but that's aviation. I'll have to get a "proper job" to fund this one.
Cheers for the info.
Safe flying :)

Perfect PFL
11th Aug 2001, 20:03
Echo Echo,

I want to live where you live! :) I guess it's all because of the price of fuel here, it's expensive enough just running a car!