PDA

View Full Version : OMG! This program is teezing me! (ATPL Groundschool)

OBK!
8th Oct 2002, 13:48
Hi to all again!

I took the meteo test again today, I passed this time, but again only with 77% regardless of all the studying I have done!

However! I have found some reasons why! I reported the results, so I could finally go through what I have been doing wrong all this time....but it's not me! (well, some of it is, not reading the question correctly,, eek!).

Anyway, question number 1. I answered correctly, confirmed there was a tick in the box, but on the report it said I hadn't attempted to answer it! How rude!

Second fault, well, who's fault is it. I got this question:

"At what layer does the temperature cease to fall with height"

My answer: Tropopause.

Computers answer: Troposhere...

Surely I got that one right! Within in the troposphere the temperature DOES decrease with height, its only at the tropopause that it doesnt (becasuse of Ozone absorbing UV etc etc).!! How rude again!

I think I might pop an email down to BGS i think I may have a faulty program, or maybe there are some fixes to download from the site!

A gutted, OBK!

iainpoll
8th Oct 2002, 14:05
Hi OBK,

Yeah I think the CD ROM must be wrong with that Tropopause question.

To be honest I don't bother doing the tests on the computer. I generally read the notes, re-read them making lots of notes, re-read my notes. Then I do the progress test under exam conditions, and send it off to BGS for marking. If I got anything wrong it comes back with a full explanation.

I would like to see the explanation for that one though!!!

All the best Iain.:)

take_me_on_high
8th Oct 2002, 14:08
This could be a bit of a trick question. The tropopause is not a layer but a boundary. The layers are troposhpere and stratosphere. The stratosphere would be the answer in one sense but mid way in the stratosphere the temp starts to increase, so the temp actually stops at the top of the troposphere. Well, it is a debate that is probably argued in met offices around the world. :rolleyes:

Gin Slinger
8th Oct 2002, 14:10
your best bet would be to email the progress test answers in; they'll mark them, and send the result through with worked answers to every question in the test.

OBK!
8th Oct 2002, 14:16
I don't think they send me the results back, as the program gives me the result there and then, with all the reworked answers. It's reworked asnwer to the temperature related question kind of contradicted itself though.

Alex Whittingham
8th Oct 2002, 14:42
Oh dear, you are right OBK!. The answer should be tropopause, I just ran this on my version and it marks tropopause wrong but, in the explanation, gives it as the right answer. I complained to tech support but they pointed out that, as you suspected, this can be corrected by Service Pack 7 on the download site.

Regarding the answer that was not recognised, I obviously can't reproduce this but it is probably because you left the question blank, left that 'page' temporarily, and then returned to it. The user guide explains that anything that you mark wrong and come back later and correct, or leave unanswered and come back later to correct, is recorded as 'wrong'. This is so you have a record of anything you hesitated over, a bit harsh perhaps, but thats how it works.

Suggest you register for tech support at [email protected], its free. They need your name, e-mail address, contact phone number and product registration number.

GS, this version of the program has the answers stored in it so they are immediately available. The e-mail or snail mail correspondence option is still available but most people use the CD.

OBK!
8th Oct 2002, 14:57
Ahh! Great stuff, I'll get SP7!

As long as I now know it wasn't just me (although it was...sometimes :)).

Many thanks Alex ;)

Bagelman
8th Oct 2002, 15:14
So glad I've done the JARs, I hated Met. Found the book by Mike Wickson to be very useful. Good luck with the exams and take your time there doesn't seem to be any jobs at the moment!

iainpoll
8th Oct 2002, 15:36
OBK,

If you don't like Met, wait until you start instruments!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: (Banging head on brick wall)!

Alex, thanks to all at BGS for your help and support so far
:)

Iain

OBK!
8th Oct 2002, 16:29
Started Instruments today...loving it infact! I have been flight simming for about 5 years, so that has helped a lot in understanding OAT/RAT/SATs etc, and about all the pressure instruments.

I find all the subjects real interesting, but sometimes struggle with Gen Nav, especially maps and charts!