PDA

View Full Version : Rejection from uni air squadron

litkid_2000
2nd Oct 2001, 23:38
How annoyed am i then.

Freshers fair at strathclyde Uni on Fri. Application form filled out, informal interview. All went well. The bloke was pretty cool as well. "phone us on Monday to find out the time of your formal interview", i was told.

So i did. And they basicly told me to p@%s off. :mad: Other words i was unsuccessful.

Im gutted. :(

Very much gutted :(

My life has now changed direction. :(

So much for the pilot thing. :rolleyes:

Airline sponsorship? Cant even get in2 the air squadron!!!

Away to reconsider my approach to life....in the pub.

comments??

Sagey
3rd Oct 2001, 00:26
Contact the RAF or the RN for University sponsorship. They help with fees etc and after Uni you get the opportunity to fly for a living.

It sounds easy but it is the normal selection route etc, so is far from that. However, you have to be in it to win it.

Sagey

SpeedBird22
3rd Oct 2001, 00:44
Don't be such a wuss.

I didn't get in last year but managed it this year. Just don't let stuff like that get you down and keep on trying and trying and you'll succeed. Promise! :)

If you were aware of any areas that you fluffed up on then work hard to improve them. If not, then start from scratch and make sure you learn what'll be expected of you. If you go back next year you have the added advantage that you'll know the format.

Chin up.

:) :) Birdseed22 :) :)

ILS27R
3rd Oct 2001, 01:01
I was under the impression that in order to join the UAS you have to be in the first year of a three year undergrad degree. The reason why is that the UAS has a syllabus which spans over three years and hence runs along side your academic interests, and hence not open to anyone who is in the second or final year of their degree.

samson.
3rd Oct 2001, 01:09
Try again next year. Many people on my squadron were let in the second time around (myself included). Be persistent!

Samson

Monkey See Monkey Do
3rd Oct 2001, 13:00
ILS27R
Nah, you dont need to be in your first year, but you have to have at least 2 or 3 years left in your degree. So you can be in your 2nd year of a 4 year or 3 year course.

Thats how is was when I was in it, anyway. It might have changed now, cos a lot of things have been altered (no ground branch members without sponsorship already for eg)

Anyways,
good luck next year Lit_kid2000
MSMD

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Oct 2001, 15:53
Guy I used to live with in Uni (Dan W) failed UAS entry 1st time and got in later. He also failed to get several sponsorships he applied for. Graduated and went to pick potatoes. Spoke the Navy and passed pilot selection. Did very well and got streamed Harriers. Now somewhere very near completion of the course.

So - UAS turned him down when he had what it takes to get Navy Sea Harrier - which is just about the toughest flying selection to pass.

Goes to show - good luck inthe future.

Tonkenna
3rd Oct 2001, 22:12
I think you will find that NFF is correct. You have to have around 5 terms left and be less than 23.5 yrs old on grad. So, don't give up, try again next year.

Tonks

Al Titude
4th Oct 2001, 00:04
litkid
Don't get too disheartened mate - you still have loads of options! Firstly, you mentioned airlines in your post. Decide if the RAF is what you really want to do - it's not just a ticket to an ATPL if you don't get airline sponsorship.
If serious, then you can always apply for sponsorship direct from OASC - go through the RAF careers office. Now is a great time to join as a pilot with front line numbers as short as they have ever been.

Finally the UAS selection is good but hardly watertight, you may have slipped through the net. Get fully up to speed on all the relevant info and give it a crack next year.I know several people who failed to get in the first time around (bad hangover etc!) but are now combat ready pilots - so if it's what you really want to do, don't give up! Best of luck!
;)

ILS27R
4th Oct 2001, 00:28
Thats providing hes on a 4 year course. Many subjects are only read over three years. Theres only a handful of degrees to my knowledge that are four years such as MPhys MEng etc and also three year degrees BSc or BA + a foundation year if your are not qualified in that particular area that make it up to 4 years.

Carnage Matey!
4th Oct 2001, 01:29
I wouldn't worry too much about it. UAS told me not to even bother applying at our Freshers fair and now I fly for BA!

Scottie
4th Oct 2001, 02:16
Majority of degrees in Scotland are 4 years.

Don't worry about not getting into the UAS. Join the OTC, much better social life :)

Anyway I failed the UAS medical and ended up flying 737's.......

Leonidas
4th Oct 2001, 21:37
Dont feel sorry for youself - try again as everyone suggests.

What about the poor sods who went to Cranfield ( Shrivenham ) last year to find the UAS had packed in despite being advertised in the prospectus.

No second chance there then!!!!