PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Stage II

2BBA
8th Oct 2002, 10:44
I know I should be more relaxed, but the guys at Britannia did say hear "by the 9th". It's now the 8th and nothing :-(. How about all you other guys & gals??

Good luck one and all! (especially me!!!!!!!!)

Bleep
8th Oct 2002, 11:50
Hi 2BBA... had nowt in my post box this morning. I hate all this waiting around ! Had to buy myself a new set of brown trousers. I reckon they'll send them all out today to arrive tomorrow - both successful and un-successful . Don't forget, the kind young lady on the assessment day said we were free to call Britannia HR tomorrow should we not receive a letter. Can't rely on the post office now days. All the best.... fingers crossed.

Nutter16
8th Oct 2002, 14:35
This might cheer some of you up (well 50people to be exact!!) but Ive just received a phone call at work informing me Im through to the next stage!!!

The lady on the phone said they'll be sending the letters out soon, hopefully to be with people by Friday confirming the details, failing that phone her direct and she'll go through the details on the phone!

HTH and good luck to everyone else! See you next week!

rossco18_uk
8th Oct 2002, 14:39
Well done you Nutter! I got a phone call this morning from a London telephone number (I live in Scotland), but missed the call. You think that might have been them? What is their number anyway?

Well done again,

Ross

PA28pilot
8th Oct 2002, 14:42
Hi!

Expect a reply by telephone (:eek: ) today or tomorrow, I've just been called and invited to the next stage :D

They'll then send confirmation by post to be received by Friday.

Venue has changed to Luton, on the 14th and 15th of October.

Good luck (especially 2BBA!)

2BBA
8th Oct 2002, 14:52
Thanks guys. Just got the call as well! Great news...

Rossco - its an 01582 number you wanna be on the lookout for.

Bleep
8th Oct 2002, 16:05
Blimey...just got a nice call too :)

rossco18_uk
8th Oct 2002, 18:23
Hi guys,
Still not heard anything, so unless I hear anything tomorrow, I guess I'll be one of the 150. :( Anyway, always think positive :cool: so I will let you know. Did they say that they would be doing calls tomorrow, or have they done them all today?

Rossco

edd2000uk
8th Oct 2002, 20:05
Same boat as you Rossco. Not heard anything yet, still pleased to have got this far though, I'll be trying again next time if I don't get through. Was good to get to the last 200!

Edd

Golf Tango Romeo
8th Oct 2002, 20:23
Whooppeee!!! I'm through I'm through!!!!! Did anyone ask what the stage entails?

Bleep
8th Oct 2002, 20:41
Rumour has it you have to gargle salt water whilst singing "My Old Man's A Dustman" in the nude. Last 24 to gag go through ;) Seriously, I haven't a clue !? Does anyone !? Isn't it a group discussion/group task type of affair !? Although on the telephone today, the lady said I was accepted for "..interview". Whether this was just a phrase she used or there is an interview I don't know ?!

Bleep.

edd2000uk
9th Oct 2002, 10:37
Anyone had anything in the post yet? Not heard either way still.:confused:

andyg
9th Oct 2002, 10:50
I got fed up of waiting and called them. I passed the tests but unfortunately didnt make the final 50 that they call through. Letters of confirmation are being sent today according to the woman and should arrive tomorrow. If you want to call them use:

01582 424155 and ask for HR and pilot recruitment, they will then tell you over the phone.

Congratulations to all those who did make it through. Its a wonderful opportunity and I want to wish you all the very best of luck. Go get em!

edd2000uk
9th Oct 2002, 11:58
Cheers Andy,

Just called, they said I did well but wasn't in the top 50. Was good experience though, I guess I can only improve now I know what the tests are like. She told me they will be running the scheme next year. Well done to everyone who made it through and heads up everyone who didn't.

Edd;)

pilotchap
9th Oct 2002, 12:02
just out of interest whose guys that did get through what experience do you all have, hows and types flown etc.

cheers

IanBowden
9th Oct 2002, 14:13
Just phoned them, didn't get into top 50. Nevermind, was good to do it, 1st time for me so I know better what to prepare for next time.

Rgds and good luck to those in the next stage, competition will be even harder I am sure.

Ian

Bleep
9th Oct 2002, 19:26
Is it true that candidates will have to sit the GAPAN tests at some point throughout selection ?

wolverhamptonlad
10th Oct 2002, 08:25
Managed to somehow get through to the next stage - anyone know what they're going to do to us? On the assessment day I heard the lady say that we were going to have personality!? tests (questionnaires) done. :eek:
If anyone's got any more info then please post a reply.

Good luck to everyone.. especially me

Nutter16
10th Oct 2002, 08:34
Well done to all those who got through,

I seem to remember something being mentioned on the day about group exercises (+discussion?) and personality profile. If so I imagine it will be similar to the BA one ie thousands of questions in 40mins, no time limit just put your first response.

The Wannabes section of PPRuNe has some sample questions in the BA section I believe.

Bleep, which tests do you mean by the GAPAN ones? Are they the PC based ones normally administered at Cranwell, ie similar to RAF tests? If they are going to make us do them the only parts I can see that would have any relevance will be the hand/eye/foot coordination tests. The paper tests we have done are very similar to all the other computer based tests (spatial perception, maths etc.)

Good luck to all,

N.

2BBA
10th Oct 2002, 09:16
I'd heard Stage II is going to be the group exercises plus personality profile - circa 3 hours all in.

HR were unsure how many would progress to the final ("interview") stage - possibly 10.

Good luck one & all......

Bleep
10th Oct 2002, 11:40
Nutter.... yeah I was talking about the hand-eye co-ordination computer based tests. I'm sure someone posted about it in this thread, but I may have been wrong. I'm sure BAe do rely on them as a selection method for there FTO now days (tell me if I'm incorrect) so this seemed a sensible statement. I've never done group tasks before for assessment.... what are they like ? At least personality questionnaires are not too stressful ie. Nothing to calculate quickly etc.. just whip through them honestly and all is done. When I last went to BA they assured us personality tests are only used in conjunction with interview, and are not a barrier themselves to the next stage. Whether that's true or not is anybody's guess. By the way... how many people have been accepted without a PPL... wondering if I was the only low timer around here !!

Nutter16
10th Oct 2002, 11:57
Im only guessing (obviously) but the group exercises could be anything from the BA "build something aesthetically pleasing and functional from this meccano set" to the standard sort of "your plane has crashed prioritise these 15 items to take with you" but I really have no idea!

I agree with you on the personality stuff, most say they use it to build a profile of you to assist with interviews and for the psychologist interview (if they do them). I think as long as you are honest and dont try and second guess answers theres nothing you can really do about it (unless that is you come out as a ragin psycho ;) )

For the stats I have also got a PPL (C152/PA28), completed off the back of a flying schol. many many years ago! I'm still low hours though (~60ish) Ive basically been doing enough hours to keep myself current! Looking at some other posts Im surprised I got through if they were looking for <30hrs!

Cheers,

N.

mbcxharm
10th Oct 2002, 12:10
Bleep

I'm through to the next round with my paultry 5 hours (I must be close to being the most inexperienced...).

wolverhamptonlad
10th Oct 2002, 12:11
I seem to recall as well that it was 10 being selected to go through to the final interview stage.
Just for the record - i've had my PPL for 15 months now and have been caning the hours this summer - up to 85 total time.

Good luck..

2BBA
10th Oct 2002, 12:13
PPL, just under 100 hrs.

pa28biggles
10th Oct 2002, 12:44
Just phoned HR, i passed the tests but wasn't in the top 50. Congratulations to those who got through, all the best of luck.

One day I will get there, be warned Britannia, I will be back, but next time with an fATPL...:cool:

Please can all those who have got through to the next stage quote their A Level subject/grades and Degree subject/grade if applicable.
Thank you for your time

wolverhamptonlad
10th Oct 2002, 13:05
I know that I shouldn't really be thinking this far ahead but.. when are the final interviews? Does anyone know the dates? I've just been seconded to Germany for a week with work at the end of October and I have this horrible feeling that that's when they will be held.

Ta.

Ps. Got a 2.2 in Aero Engineering from Salford

timzsta
10th Oct 2002, 23:13
Congratulations to those who have made it to the next stage and the best of luck. Unfortunately I didnt to well enough to join you.

Going to be too old for sponsorships probably by next year so I I will have to fund my training all at my own expense know.

Likewise Biggles - I will be back Britannia, and with a fATPL.

Good luck to everyone who makes to Jerez, and well done to the Brits for being the first to start a sponsorship after Sep 11 - you have given us all hope.

mbcxharm
11th Oct 2002, 10:38
So, 'appropriate casual clothing' for Monday/Tuesday...

Whaddya reckon guys/gals?

Bleep
11th Oct 2002, 12:07
I was called to say Mon/Tue were cancelled... it's Thur & Fri now !?

wolverhamptonlad
11th Oct 2002, 13:03
Just called them (14:00) and were told we were not expected to wear suits. What's everyone else doing? I think we'll look a bit daft clambering over dirty barrels (or whatever else they get us to do!) in smart suits. Think i'll go in trousers & Jumper.

Bleep... no mention about it being cancelled for the Monday.

Bleep
11th Oct 2002, 13:45
Weird... I'm going Friday because they said they couldn't get rooms booked or something for my original day. Perhaps the original day was a Tuesday/Wednesday !? I'll probably be the only one there !!! I'm having trouble getting booked in to an optician to get an eye report by next week. I have a Class 1, but it has expired. Hopefully it will be sufficient though - it's not too far out of date. Bit worried too because I gained hours in an Air Squadron about 6 years ago and haven't got a log book :eek: Looks like I'll be wearing just a casual shirt and strides the, no sweaty suit !!

Bleep.

Nutter16
14th Oct 2002, 06:35
Marvellous,

Got back from a weekend away last night, new suit in tow and then read the letter! :rolleyes: I now have no idea what to wear and I'll probably have to go shopping again to find something :D

I cant ever recall having an opticians report! Bleep do you know if they will accept aviation medicals?! (Ive got a current class 2 certificate)

See you on friday!

Bleep
14th Oct 2002, 09:44
Well, I telephoned HR and explained that I'm having trouble getting booked in and visiting an optician within the week, but I do have a class 1 (expired though) and do not require spectacles, and she said this should be fine. The lady said if I get through this stage and they still require an optometrists report I should be able to submit it later (ie. next week). She said the main reason they asked was because several people have not got any flying experience and would have unlikely attended any medical before - therefore they have no indication whatsoever if they are likely to pass class 1 standards. I'm sure they would accept a class 2 because CAA will have your eye test results - you may be able to give CAA a call and ask if they can send you a copy, I'm going to call them myself today. Anyone else going on Friday 18th ?

expedite_climb
14th Oct 2002, 09:56
Bleep, have you tried vision express ??? I got one with a few hours notice there a couple of years back...

Bleep
14th Oct 2002, 19:13
expedite_climb,

Cheers.... got myself an appointment tomorrow. Is it me or is life a nightmare at the moment - trying to juggle being very busy at work, slacking off on the internet to find addresses of opticians etc...(and reading this), trying to book appointments/hotels, trying to think of yet another excuse as to why I want to take yet one more day off, worrying about affording it all !!! ;) Still... did it go okay today for those who went today ? Are there still not any PPRUNERS going on the 18th !?

Bleep.

Nutter16
15th Oct 2002, 06:33
Sorry Bleep, dont know if you missed it but yes I'll be there on the 18th! (Im also glad to hear someone else is going to be there!!)

Still not sure about what to wear though, now that the new suit plan has been scuppered!

I think with the eye things I'm just going to take along my class 2 medical (it is current) so at least they'll know I can pass an eye test to that level!

See you on Friday

N.

Cambo
15th Oct 2002, 10:22
Alrighty folks,

this is my first time on the site but I thought i'd leave a note to say that i'm through to the next Britannia stage as well. Im going down to Luton on Wed afternoon. They'd better not change it cos i've got my flights booked!

As far as i'm aware, it's a personality test and a couple of group things...as for what to wear, i'm as confused as everyone else...thought about going down reasonably smart but with some other stuff in a backpack.

Glad I found the site though, really helpful.

All the best to everyone,

C

Bleep
15th Oct 2002, 10:30
Cambo... don't suppose you are the young lady who stayed in the Express Inn the day before aptitude testing !? If so, I may have shared the courtesy van with you. Probably write back and say you're a bloke now !! Appropriate clothing in my eyes is the cliche "Smart Casual". Shouldn't think they'd take too much notice - as said they're not expecting suits. I'm sure this stage is just to determine how well you interact and cooperate with others. They'll probably be more likely to judge appearance in the final interview. Right... I'm off to get my 'lamps' tested at the opticians.....

Good luck,

Bleep.

Cambo
15th Oct 2002, 10:42
ahhh,

sorry to disapoint but i am indeed a bloke! I was down on Tuesday the 1st in the afternoon and my first name is Neil, so i might have met some of the people posting replies here...dunno though.

Cheers for the clothing suggestions, jumper and trousers it is then!

good luck to you too.

C

Cambo
17th Oct 2002, 07:31
Well, that’s me back from a day down at Luton with the Britannia HR team.

The two teamwork exercises are the usual fare. Nothing that should surprise anyone.

Finally, the good old personality test to look deep into your soul. I don't really agree with their use as I’ve read reports that their effectiveness is a bit questionable. However, unlike some companies who only use them as a guide, Britannia will be using them in their decision making process as to who is coming to stage three (which'll seemingly be the second weekend in Nov).

They also said everyone should know by about the 25th.

Oh, and most people went in a jeans, jumper/t-shirt combo.

C

Nutter16
17th Oct 2002, 08:39
Cambo,

Glad to hear it all went OK and thanks for the heads-up on the dress code - definately a relief to hear ;)

Now its only a day or so away for me the nerves really are starting to kick in! At least by the sounds of it the exercises should be in a familiar format.

By the personality thing I presume it was the 300 odd questions, no time limit (but dont take too long because we dont want you second guessing answers) thing!

Good luck to you for the next stage

Cheers,

N.

Bleep
17th Oct 2002, 08:49
Familiar format !! Blimey... how many of these team exercises have you ladies/gents done !!? I've never participated in any team/group exercises for selection before !! I take it you mean they are a similar affair to those set by BA that everyone talks about ? Anyway... hope it all goes well, and I'll maybe see some of you around tomorrow....

Bleep.

Cambo
17th Oct 2002, 09:46
Nah, not as many as 300, maybe sub 200ish? only takes 25 minutes.

"Don't take too long on any one question and don't pick the middle answer too often, perhaps only once every 4" said the HR wumin. Unfortunately I found I had to pick the middle answer quite a lot because, although i can't think of a good example right now, i felt that in many of the questions i was neither one extreme or the other, and there are anly three possible answers. The only one that sticks out in my mind is-

'You find yourself elected to office a)regularly b) sometimes c) not at all'

Elected to office? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh? I Picked the middle one there too cos I didn't have a scooby! I think I took too long on a lot of the questions, maybe thought about them too much, so perhaps you should actually fire through them instead? I doubt they'll be looking for someone indecisive and i'm afraid that'll be what i seem like, even though in normal day to day life i'm not.

It was the first thing like this that i've been to in my puff, but having friends that have got jobs with BAE, BNFL, Airbus etc... I know that most places you go these days (big companies anyway) for flying or anything else, will involve group discussions and stuff like that. All my mates said that when they went for their respective jobs they just acted as normal and didn't worry too much about being watched. Seemed to work for them. Seemingly HR people can tell if someone is puting on a 'look at me! look at me! I'm well in charge here' type of act.

Good luck to you guys, I hope that i'll be seeing you in 3 weeks time!

C

ps I was guessing that they're looking at 48 people, 8 per group over 6 sessions (the two groups yesterday were both 8), so it'd be reasonable to assume thy'll be calling back 12, then taking the best half. I forgot to ask how many'd be going through.

edd2000uk
21st Oct 2002, 15:57
For anyone who's interested, just spoke to Britannia regarding feedback. It is possible to find out how well you did in each section (first selection day). Also, regarding direct entry recruitment, they have low hour potential second officers in a holdpool since sept 11th so direct entry with low hours isn't likely for a while.

Bleep
22nd Oct 2002, 11:32
I'm presuming they're going to telephone the successful people ? I have a feeling I didn't do too well if I'm honest. By the way, how's it going Nutter ? I have a strange feeling you were in my group.......

Nutter16
22nd Oct 2002, 11:41
Hi Bleep,

Hows things? First chance Ive really had to get on and have a good look round the forums!! Typical, you take a day off work because you are....ahem "ill" and then spend some of the weekend and the start of the week recovering stuff!!!

If you were on Friday morning then yes I was :D If so, I didnt think things were too bad, obviously I cant speak for anyone, or even myself for that matter but the group certainly seemed to get along alright, there were no real personality clashes. I cant remember anyone not really contributing or being left out anyway.

Im the same as you though, I can never tell how Ive done at these type of things and this has traditionally been the point at which I struggle in the past (I was hoping my age/experience etc. would help this time!)

Good luck,

N.

Cambo
24th Oct 2002, 08:16
Well, good luck guys, I have to admit most people in my group got along well too and most people seemed to contribute to proceedings. I don't know what exactly is gonna set some people out from the rest, but if my group was anything to go by its going to be marginal, i.e. no one will stand out head and shoulders above everyone else.

So how much did you enjoy the coloured tubes!?

C

Bleep
24th Oct 2002, 11:11
I preferred the colour tubes to the first part ! I wonder if they'll call people today !? Or is it going to be a case of waiting for Mr Postie tomorrow (gulp).

Cambo
24th Oct 2002, 13:07
Hopefully a phone call tomorrow, seeing as they wern't exactly on time with the mail for the stage 2 selection!

If anyone hears before then, can you post a note saying so? It'd be appreciated.

C

2BBA
25th Oct 2002, 10:01
Ok boys & girls - today is the day. Anyone heard yet??

Cambo
25th Oct 2002, 10:41
Not as yet, and it's around quarter to 12. I'm fairly nervous...you?

Bleep
25th Oct 2002, 10:47
Yeah... keep looking at my phone !! Horrible waiting around... just gets to the stage when you want to know either way. I finish early on Fridays (1300), and I'm away for the W/E. I might not find out till Monday !!:(

Best of luck,

Bleep.

Bleep
25th Oct 2002, 15:42
Still not heard :( Anyone.....!?

Nutter16
25th Oct 2002, 16:05
Nothin yet for me either Bleep!

Its terrible now! I cant even tell if not hearing is a good/bad thing or whether theyve just not got round to telling anyone!!!

I'll wait and see if anything arrives 2moro in the post and then maybe phone sometime Monday morning - makes for a horrible weekend though!!

Good luck chaps and chapesses

N.

Cambo
26th Oct 2002, 13:45
guys,

called them on Friday, they aint got the personality tests results back from the outside firm. They'll call people Mon/Tues.

C

wolverhamptonlad
28th Oct 2002, 09:56
Heard the same sort of thing. Spoke to them on Friday and they said everyone was going to be told by today (by means of a phone-call).
Now 10:55 and brown trousers time, still, no news is good news....?

Cambo
28th Oct 2002, 10:14
The thing is though that if they've just received the test results then they'll have a bit of messing about and decision making to do, and seeing as they haven't exactly been punctual yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there is no news till tomorrow or even Wednesday...at least thats what i'm telling myself!

:confused:

wolverhamptonlad
28th Oct 2002, 12:59
Just had the phone call.....
I'm in! yay - off down the boozer!!!!!

Good luck everyone:)

2BBA
28th Oct 2002, 14:45
Does anyone have ideas of numbers at the final stage?

Nutter16
28th Oct 2002, 14:56
Well done Cambo! :D

I must admit since reading your post around 2 Ive been the most ratty, irritable person my workmates have ever seen!! However I have just come home a an answerphone message and rung them back...

Im through :D :D :D :eek: Why they had to ring my home number not work, like last time, Ill never know - maybe it was a test to see if my nerves held (they didnt!)

Good luck everyone,

Cheers,

N.

Cambo
28th Oct 2002, 14:57
Im in too!

That was a very tense afternoon, I wasn't notified by phone call, but by an e-mail!

Good luck to everyone, they're taking 20 people to the final stage; 2 interviews, one with HR and a pilot, one with a psycologist!?

a' the best!

Cam

Nutter,

that was Wolverhamptonlad that left the message, but good to hear that you're through too. My interview is on Sunday the 10th around lunchtime, you?

C

2BBA
28th Oct 2002, 15:47
I'm through and got the email method too.

Nutter - I can support EXACTLY what you said - my workmates think I'm a right moody ****!!!!

Congrats one and all - looks like a fair percentage of successful chappies are active ppruners!!!

It would be cool for the successful 6 to start a website/portal effort so that other wannabes can track progress/ask questions via email.....

Bleep
28th Oct 2002, 15:55
Apart from me !!! No messages so sounds like I flunked..... I'm off to get a bottle of Gin and listen to The Smiths..... Congrats guys, good luck and all..... keep posting to let us know how you're getting on.....

Bleep.

Cambo
28th Oct 2002, 16:04
unlucky Bleep, but there's always the chance they'll contact you tomorrow. You should give em a call to double check:

01582428513 gets you through to Britannia HR.

When are other folks interviews? I'm assuming there are some on Fri and Sat too?

C

Nutter16
28th Oct 2002, 16:28
Hi everyone,

I wouldnt hit the gin yet Bleep, its got to be worth giving them a ring tomorrow just to check! I mean some people got emailed, I got rung at home and yet last time they rung at work!!

My interview is on the 11th (Monday) about midday so that'll be a pleasant weekend of bricking it!!

Congrats everyone and good luck on the next stage!

Cheers,

N.

AlphaCharlie
29th Oct 2002, 07:48
No phone call and no email for me! Guessing I'm not through, but I'll call them later on just to be sure. Doesn't really surprise me, I didn't think I'd done that well!!

Best of luck to the rest of you!!!

As suspected I'm not through. Kinda disappointed but I realise it is probably for the best as it means I can finish my degree.

Bleep
29th Oct 2002, 09:34
Thanks for the words of encouragement... turns out I was premature in hitting the Gin ;) Got home and there was a message on the answering machine, gave them a buzz and heard the good news. Nutter, I have the same date and time as you - fancy maybe going for a pint after !! Well.. anyone on the same day for that matter. Think it might be deserved no matter how the day goes ! Sounds like a nightmare... 2 hour long interviews....:eek: All the best,

Bleep.

Nutter16
29th Oct 2002, 10:29
Sounds good Bleep,

I 'spose it will be nice to actually find out which faces all these usernames belong to! ;)

Nearer the time we'll have to work out some sort of deal for meeting in reception/ the car-park. If other people are due to finish at or around the same time we can always arrange directions to a pub after!

Guess gettin back to doing some work today might be in order as well!

Catch you all later!

N,