PDA

View Full Version : Flying Instructors

andyg
8th Oct 2002, 10:36
I am thinking about taking my ATPL exams followed by a couple of months of doing multi/CPL and Instructor courses. Does anyone have any idea what the turnover of instructors through flying schools are and the availability of positions as flying instructors?

Obviously I would be an instructor with the bare minimum in terms of experience. Would a school prefer a minimum of an IR as well, or IMC? Or even a minimum amount of hours, say 500 or so....

Has anyone managed to secure, or partially secure, a job as a flying instructor BEFORE undertaking the training to do so?

Thanks

Andy

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Wrong forum - Sorry!

jonathang
8th Oct 2002, 11:34
Sure cabair run a program by taking 150 hour people and training thems as Instructors, sponsored by British European.

foghorn
8th Oct 2002, 15:03
Jonathang - AFAIK that scheme is now dead - BE now do a partial sponsorship onto a Cabair integrated course, not the old self- improver/instructor sponsorship that they used to run for KLMuk and JE/BE

cheers!
foggy.

Johnny 7
8th Oct 2002, 15:30
Quite a few unemployed instructors out there at the moment so turnover is not good right now , but fingers crossed things will improve in the future .

Luke SkyToddler
8th Oct 2002, 17:21
You'll quite often get a more favourable response from a flying school employer if you don't have an IR ... cos they know it means that you won't turn around and ****** off at 10 minutes notice when you get the golden phone call from an airline.

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Oct 2002, 17:45
All the above is true.

I'd say it is very hard to get an instructor position at present unless you already have some connection with someone in or running a school. Perhaps a close geographical location to home or the fact you did your PPL there might help your chances.

I cannot see the market improving much in the next 12 months or so. FI FIC Examiners are all FLAT out passing people and have been all summer. :(

Good luck,

andyg
9th Oct 2002, 09:09
Thanks for advice guys. Hopefully by the time I finish my ground stuff and do the flying things will have picked up in recruitment all over the industry.

What do you guys reckon to having an IMC as well? A useful asset as a flying instructor? And has anyone done A FI(R) recently and suggest a good place to do it?

MJR
9th Oct 2002, 10:04
Yes a IMC is useful, not so much as a teaching aid but allows you to fly in weather with lower margins and then recover to your departure airfield. However this wont be appreciated if you continually fly a 20 min procedure in your students time.

Try Aeros at Gloucester 01452 857419 and www.aeros.co.uk for the FI course as Gloucester is an excellent GA field.

cheers

MJR

eagerbeaver
9th Oct 2002, 20:57

Andy G go to Old Sarum near salisbury the chap is ex Empire and the best bloke you will ever meet. will send details if you like

andyg
10th Oct 2002, 09:07
eager beaver, thanks. Have they got a website that you know of?

eagerbeaver
10th Oct 2002, 19:41
i think its oldsarumflyingclub.co.uk.

gotta say its the best place to do the FIC imho

Loony_Pilot
11th Oct 2002, 08:38
Hi,

Stapleford (Keith Pogmore)are good for the FIC course, did mine there. The course is conducted on the PA28-161 so you also get to double up with another FIC student and sit in the back and watch most of the exercises.

I also hear good things about Andrewsfield (Carol Cooper) and Manston(Clive Elesmore)

Most of the FIC schools seem pretty good, I havent heard any really bad things about any of them.

I went and visited a lot of the FIC schools, then stuck with the one that was best all round for me (in terms of the impression i got about the place, location and cost). I'd recommend doing that..as you wouldnt spend £5,000 or so on something without having a look at it first!

As to getting FI jobs, there do seem to be a few out there if you look hard, visit schools personally and are prepared to be flexible... I got my current FI job by visiting lots of flying schools.. i got a total of 5 job offers (this was in March) the instructing season is drawing to end and while there is still flying.. theres a not as much as in the summer for obvious reasons, so if you can get part time work somewhere.. do so and then see if it leads to a full time postion after a while.

Most people have pretty much bare minimum hours for the FIC course when they take it, I had just over 200 when I started the course so i wouldnt worry about any hours requirement for a job.

Hope I'm not stating the obvious too much.

Loony