PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Brit in Space

DrSyn
8th Oct 2002, 01:05
I hope I may be forgiven for congratulating the latest Shuttle crew (STS-112), in this particular forum, on a successful launch today after many delays. I know our American and Russian friends . . .and, come to think of it, many other nations . . . are accustomed to it, but the crew includes only the third Brit to reach orbit. Our government threw away our space programme in the late '60s

When 13-year-old Piers Sellers arrived at Cranbrook School (Kent, UK) in 1968, he told our careers master that he intended to become an astronaut. He went on to gain a BSc at Edinburgh and a PhD at Leeds (biometerology) which led him to join the brain-drain and end up with NASA at Goddard for many years. He was accepted for astronaut candidate (Ascan) on his third attempt in 1996, from a 2000+ applicant list whose CVs make many of us here look like primary school drop-outs.

Along the way he became a pilot and flew many of his own atmospheric research flights during his scientific career. He even had to become an American . . . :( . . . . ;)

Right now he is on board Atlantis with five other exceptional crew members, chasing the ISS for a docking on Wed 9th. He and Dave Wolf will be carrying out the three "space-walks" slated for the mission.

We live in an age where so many folk believe that everything must be achieved almost instantly, or it is not worth the effort -- eg: "I wouldn't work for an airline that takes 10 years to command." (PPRuNe ad-infinitum). It took Piers 34 years to fulfill his ultimate ambition at the grand-old age of 47, and I hope he will continue onwards for many more years.

The best things in life are worth waiting for.

ZK-NSJ
8th Oct 2002, 05:39
i know major tom was the first, who was the second

8th Oct 2002, 07:39
So correct me if I'm wrong: but if he "became an American" then he is not the 3rd Brit in space..!? :confused:

Carry0nLuggage
8th Oct 2002, 07:54
The first Brit in space was Helen Sharman on Soyuz TM12 in May 1991. The second was Michael Foale.

Helen Sharman is the only one to stay a Brit though, Foale and Sellers both had to become Americans and join NASA. I can't think of any that have tried becoming ESA astronauts, plenty of French and Germans have flown this way on the Shuttle and Soyuz.

Konkordski
8th Oct 2002, 09:13
Third Briton in space?

May the fourth be with you... :p

PaxmanwithInfo
8th Oct 2002, 09:29
The British Space Program is actually quite advanced I believe at this stage.

I beleive they have a man in a tracksuit up a very long ladder in Swindon. Bloody impressive!

(with thanks to Eddie Izzard!).

Seriously though, did you hear about the furore recently when the Irish Deputy Prime Minister (and this is true - I swear) told a joke in private that went a little like this...

Her private aide came running into the room and declared that he had good news and bad news.

She asked what the bad news was and he drew a deep breath and said that the English had landed on the moon.

She then asked what the good news was - and he replied...

ALL OF THEM!

(In jest peoples - not intended to be racist nor offensive - like Irish jokes.)

DrSyn
9th Oct 2002, 15:54
Thanks for your charitable observation, 126.9. Of course, when anyone is referred to as Afro/Hispanic/Irish/Polish-American, etc, that's fine. Lets just be a bigot about British roots, eh?

Anyway, those of us who attended school with him are delighted with his still rare achievement.

Red Mist
12th Oct 2002, 02:05
third? what about Keith Richards?

reynoldsno1
13th Oct 2002, 20:07
...and Rimmer & Lister....

Eboy
15th Oct 2002, 11:38
Congratulations to Dr. Sellers and Britain. I was not familiar with his impressive background.

After Septemer 11, 2001, Goddard Space Flight Center closed its Visitor Center to the general public, and cancelled regular weekend model rocket launches that took place there and in which area youth participated. Many other aspiring astronauts have been disappointed.

brockenspectre
20th Oct 2002, 13:26
Is Piers Sellers being regarded as a Brit in the NASA program? Whether he is or not, if you happen to be in touch with him and his family, please say a giant CONGRATULATIONS .

As you know I love anything to do with space - spaceweather - NASA - spaceshuttle so this, for me, is a terrific achievement for a Brit (originally)!!

:D