PDA

View Full Version : land/sea breezes

Barannfin
8th Oct 2002, 00:47
Hey this is mainly a question for you offshore guys, but anyone else who's got answers would be appreciated. ;)

I was thinking about land/sea breezes today, and I realized that I didnt know much about them. I know about the uneven heating/cooling of the land vs. the water, but what sort of wind speeds are we talking about? Also what altitudes do they go up to and how far out to sea do you see the effects? Do you guys climb to get that tail wind on the way out or is it not worth the time?

Thanks for any of your help guys.:D

GLSNightPilot
8th Oct 2002, 06:32
In the US Gulf, that's not something we usually see. The winds are part of bigger weather systems, & are generally stronger than the effects of land/sea breezes. Last week was one example - Lili showed up, & now lots of platforms are tilted, & at least 3 drilling rigs are gone, one just missing completely. That is extreme, though. :eek:

I don't think there is a generalization possible on altitudes, at least here. Some people climb high regardless, some stay very low regardless, & some try for tailwinds. It varies widely, depending on the pilot's mood, the weather, the load, & perhaps whether he has a cold (or one or more of the pax has a cold). I certainly consider the winds aloft rumor (and that's all it is until someone goes up & finds out what they really are), because it can affect the required fuel, & thus the available pax payload. I consider the winds, but they aren't necessarily the most important factor in my decisions. I always believe headwinds, & always discount tailwinds. I may land with more fuel than absolutely necessary, but if I'm not on fire it's a good thing.

Old Man Rotor
8th Oct 2002, 09:52
Its a real effect.......

I have been outbound high level at 153 knts....and back 40 minutes later at low level also at 153 knts.........ground speed of course.

Not bad for an aircraft with a VNE of 140 knts.

The greater the temperature differential........the greater the effect..!!

misterbonkers
9th Oct 2002, 13:20
buy Bristol groundschool's CDROM, its great and covers all the ATPL material.

You'll definately find you answers on it