PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the Systray Fillup...

A-V-8R
7th Oct 2002, 23:06
Have you noticed how some programs, like Real Audio Player and MSN messenger refill themselves in the systray after you deleted them?

To date, the only soloution I've found is to take them out of the autorun folder manual just before shoutdown.

Can anyone suggest the source of a simple program to protect systray from unwanted guests?

Failing that, if I find the right folder, I will make it read only by:

c:\>attrib +r c:\pathnamesystrayfile.

Any ideas?

Kim

Icarus
8th Oct 2002, 17:23
Maybe this will help (http://www.cnet.com/software/0-429669-8-3208435-1.html)

Tinker
8th Oct 2002, 18:24
There is often an option under the 'options'menu' of many of these programs that allows you to stop them going into the systray. Also it's worth paying close attention to the info/instructions when installing them to keep them out. Good luck :)

EGLD
9th Oct 2002, 10:33
I have found that it is different with each program. Normally, you can right click the icon on the systray, locate settings or properties or similar and try to find how to stop it automatically starting there.

With realplayer, you need to find the startcentre properties

Also, you can check the startup folder for your profile if using windows 2000 or XP, it is under documents and settings\your username\start menu\programs\startup and also documents and settings\all users\startmenu\programs\startup

Or you can directly remove the links from the start menu from all operating systems from 98 upwards (possibly 95) by right clicking the shortcut, and selecting delete

you can also check the registry for programs scheduled to startup when windows boots, this is risky, and should only be attempted if you know what you're doing and/or have a backup

locate the following entries, and look for programs you can remove;

hkey_local_machine \ software \ microsoft \ windows \ currentversion \ run

hkey_current_user \ software \ microsoft \ windows \ currentversion \ run