PDA

View Full Version : meteorology???

Mintflavour
7th Oct 2002, 20:58
Currently studying BGS ATPL notes and to be fair Im struggling to get the full meteorology picture of whats going on clear in my head. especially jet stream area of subjects.

Does anybody recommend any other excellent material to invest in such as videos, books, website animated explanations etc. that could help me out.

Cheers

Mint

P.s
Any body got the exact definition of where temperate latitudes lay between.

pugzi
8th Oct 2002, 09:23
Talk to Peter Smails at Bristol, he's another student and i'm sure he'll tell you . If I said any more I'd be accussed of advertising!!

:D

prob30
8th Oct 2002, 11:04
"Met for Pilots" by Whickson. readable and has everything you need to know. got me thru without a doubt.

take_me_on_high
8th Oct 2002, 14:02
Well, I am about to do my met exams and have found a few sources of material really very useful......

[Advertising begins now( :D )]

I bought a whole set of OAT course books and the met book is fantastic with great colours. Not too expensive on its own either.

Someone lent me the PPSC Met video. Excellent information with a presenter with a funny tash!(still makes me laugh). He does this great diagram that shows you how to remember where all the HIGHS are around the world. Highs over seas all year round and highs over land in winter. From that, you can draw the world and ITCZ and work out where all the winds are.

Apparently the Trevor Thom met PPL book is good to help with the basics.

A book called Met for pilots in book stores is really good and is apparently what the CAA used to base the exams around. Can't remember the authors name and upstairs is far to far for me to walk and find out for you. This would be a better book to buy as the OAT book seems to be loosly based around this(since the author used to teach at OAT I think anyway).

Well, hope it helps and wish me luck for my met exam tomorrow. If I pass then you'll know that it was good advice.

Oh, and apparently a guy at oxford does a really good weekend course on the subject and costs about £50 or something.

JD

aaaaaa
8th Oct 2002, 14:22
Where did you manage to find the book - cant seem to see it in Transair, OAT or Amazon - must be going blind!!

take me on high

re my previous post it was about the book by Whickson that prob30 mentioned.

Have to admit the OAT course books look pretty good

Bagelman
8th Oct 2002, 15:19
I got the Wickson book when I was out in Spain, well woth getting. I got it from transair cost about £25 with postage. Meteology for Pilots by Mike Wickson isbn# 1-85310-943-6, hope thats enough info

aaaaaa
8th Oct 2002, 15:56
Bagelman

Thanks for that info, should be able to get it from that - were you at Jerez?