PDA

View Full Version : To fat or not to fat..that is the question!

rotormad
7th Oct 2002, 16:40
Im 5'8 and weigh about 15.7 stone. Im a keen sportsman and play rugby to a reasonably high level. I had a full medical for work and was declared fit and well. I am too heavy for the height/weight charts but my GP says that im fine for my build, which is quite heavy. Im not fat and have a resonably low body fat ratio and suffer from no other medical problems.

I am currently about to start my training for the Commercial Helicopter licence and am going to book myself in at Gatwick for my Class 1 medical. Will my weight cause me serious problems??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rotormad

QDMQDMQDM
7th Oct 2002, 21:25
I am too heavy for the height/weight charts but my GP says that im fine for my build, which is quite heavy. Im not fat

No, if the Body Mass Index charts say you're fat, you're fat. According to this BMI calculator - http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/av.htm - and presuming a weight of 210lbs, you have a BMI of 31.9kg/m2, which is seriously obese.

From previous correspondence on this forum, though, it seems that just being fat probably isn't enough to exclude a Class 1.

QDM

The spy who...
7th Oct 2002, 22:33
Hi

Your BMI makes you statistically fat (laymans term) regardless of how fit, muscular, athletic you are etc - but this is down to Actuaries/Medical stats, over the years, based around a norm from a group of whatever number of people of whatever class, of whatever creed, colour, were selected to make up the research.

However, being fat per se does not make an individual unhealthy. What it does mean is that you are in a statistical group where the risk of a number of diseases (and I won't go into these but search under the web and you will quickly find out what I mean ) that potentially will shorten life, increases, compared with the average jo who is the right weight (and may sit in front of the telly all day - you know, the uncle Jack who smoked 200 fags a day and is 105 - comforting isn't it and life is such a bitch).

Thus any medic, upon examining you and establishing your weight, will be attuned to the statistical risk group this puts you in. How they interpret the results of the medical will be influenced by this, but may not preclude you from passing, unless they find something else borderline e.g. BP.

So what does this all mean to you at present. Well probably nothing right now, but think ahead to age 30/40 when you may lose the muscle and gain those 'Love Handles' and then the 'Fun' starts - just.

Anyway, 'Probably a lot less bovver, than learning to hovver' - enjoy the course.

rotormad
8th Oct 2002, 08:55
Thanks Spy for the advice, i appreciate it. It hink im going to slim down a little anyway, dont wont any of those love handles do i!!!!

Thanks again

Rotormad