PDA

View Full Version : CPL training - cost and quality

lumpy
7th Oct 2002, 15:29
I'm looking for opinions on schools (both UK and abroad) providing JAR CPL training.

Thanks,
LP

Dufus
7th Oct 2002, 18:57
Lumpy,

I can recommend C&S Aviation at Wolverhampton (international) airport.

Chris Caine is apparently held in very high regard within the industry and has an excellent pass rate.

You can call him on 01384 221335

Dufus

READY MESSAGE
7th Oct 2002, 20:28
Would also recommend Chris Caines at C&S Aviation, I have flown with him many times and not only an excellent instructor but a fair and patient examiner.

Also highly recommended is Dave Coulson at Cranfield Aero Club. Whilst unconventional in his instructional techniques he has an absolute wealth of knowledge & experience which he is willing to pass on. He also won't ask for a penny up front.

Enjoy, where ever you do it!

RM

MJR
8th Oct 2002, 09:57
Yes Chris Caine is a fine chap additionally you could try Aeros at Gloucester 01452 857149
www.aeros.co.uk another fine school, I know because I work there.

ta ta

MJR:D

impartial
8th Oct 2002, 18:14
Can't vouch for any of the others, but why not check out Bournemouth Commercial Flight Training Centre!

They have a good friendly professional operation, high first time pass rate for IR, don't ask for money up front, only schedule 2 students per instructor, and if thats not enough.........they are based in sunny Bournemouth!

I think the web site is

www.bournemouthcommercialflighttraining.co.uk

:p

lumpy
8th Oct 2002, 19:31
Any thoughts on training in the colonies?

Flypuppy
8th Oct 2002, 21:00
Triple A at Humberside are pretty good. They got me through the CPL/ME.

Triple A (http://www.tripleaflying.co.uk)

impartial
9th Oct 2002, 15:05
which colonies? :p

I have recently heard of a student who has returned from South Africa having been greatly disappointed with his chosen training provider. He cancelled the CPL course he was booked on and has re-booked one in the UK.

Training outside of the UK has good and bad points.

Either make sure the training provider is JAA approved or be prepared to convert your licence to JAA upon your return to the UK.

CPL conversion from a recognised ICAO licence = training as required + pass the CPL skills test with the CAA

IR conversion from a recognised ICAO licence = 15 hours minimum training + pass the IR skills test with the CAA

It has been noticed that students returning from eg USA, have required a few extra hours to familiarise themselves with UK airspace, procedures and RT, as there are a few differences (lots of airspace cramped into a small island!)

The obvious good point is the cost of the flying! but does the saving on the course cover the cost of living in a foreign country, flights there and back, and, if necessary, licence conversion?

A few things to consider, hopefully you have found this of some help?!?!
:)

Touch'n'oops
9th Oct 2002, 16:24
I have spent a lot time and money researching my flight schools!

I believe that it is worth to pay top dollar for my training, as long as I remain focused on the goal.
(To be a pilot! Just incase someone didn't get it ;) )

Any way. The schools I have looked at:-

Oxford, West Michigan Uni, Cabair, BAe Systems (jerez), Airmed (Valencia)

I chose West Michigan at first, but they are having trouble recruiting Self-sponsored students from JAR counties.
They are just too far away and BA has stopped sending Cadets. But it looks like courses will start again in April.
I can't wait that long! Still it is a top school and very well funded, as is all american Unies.

BAe my second choice. Cracking school as well.

I'll stop if anyone wants more info on the schools I visited, feel free to email me [email protected]

thegypsy
12th Oct 2002, 09:00
Not wishing to a killjoy but I would be very careful about spending huge sums of money on aCPL IR course as getting that first job in UK at least is nigh impossible. It seems the Airlines prefer the part sponsored person who has jumped through their hoops and assessment procedures rather than the guy with his own cheque book. Take care

God save the Queen
5th Nov 2002, 15:42
Go and see Dave Coulson at Cranfield. 01234 752 272.
The finest instructor around, a fountain of knowledge and a master of humour.
Thanks for my CPL and Instructor ratings Dave.

carbonfibre
5th Nov 2002, 18:46
Did my CPL test with Chris Caine at WBA, patient with me , must have been gave me a first time pass, but a gruelling 2.1 hours, well worth it though

WWW.hgfc.co.uk did the training with and CC examined me, C&S also good i believe.

Check them all out, still cheaper than states though if you include flight and all the other extras, and still only takes about 4 weeks even in this weather

;) :cool: :eek:

No experience with the rest though, best advice, look before parting with your hard earned money

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Nov 2002, 23:45
There are lots of great little schools out there locally. Knowing CC and DC I know this to be true.

If you can find somewhere close to your doorstep where you can do the lot then thats a very useful thing. Commuting and Accomodation bills mount up amazingly quickly.

foghorn
6th Nov 2002, 07:46
I concur with the Welshman.

By all means confirm with former students that your school of choice is not a turkey, but there is no need to go on an extended research exercise on quality versus cost, or whatever other difficult-to-define criteria you choose. A major factor in your choice of school should be whether it is somewhere that is easily commutable (<1 hour) from either your own house, or that of some friendly relatives.

I'd choose on convenience of location, my feelings from a visit there, general reputation and cost in that order. If your budget really is so tight that you are comparing school's hourly rates with a fine-tooth comb, you should be asking yourself whether you have sufficient resources to do your CPL or IR in the first place. Overruns can and will happen at any school and running out of money would leave you with a partly-completed CPL or IR, which is a wasteful if abandoned, and often an expensive state of affairs to rectify later.

I personally suffered the indignity of moving with my parents again at 28 (after 10 years away) during my CPL and IR, but I got a roof over my head in a quiet, confortable house, and was fed and watered for a token amount - worth its weight in gold for stress-free courses.

cheers!
foggy.