PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions - Adobe/Office

Hobo
7th Oct 2002, 06:00
2 Questions for you geniuses out there:

1. My daughter has tried downloading Adobe Acrobat onto her laptop (Windows ME, loads of space on the hard drive) several times. After about 15 mins of the half hour or so it takes to download, the process stops and that's it - an incomplete download. Any advice?

2. I am upgrading my own computer (XP Home, MS Office XP Professional) and thinking of buying a laptop. Will I be able to load my existing edition of Office onto the laptop without any registration problems? I have e-mailed MS about this but as usual their answer is rather vague.

amanoffewwords
7th Oct 2002, 06:57
1. Either buy a magazine with a disk - they almost always have it as a space filler. Or get hold of an FTP (File Transfer Protocol) program such as WS_FTP (http://www.ipswitch.com) - it will allow you to resume partial downloads from where it stopped, as long as you make it the default download manager - i.e. instead of getting the IE built-in program to receive the download, you use the FTP application which allows you to stop/start at leisure (again, any decent PC magazine should have it on their coverdisk - The Net for sure will have it).

2. Office and Windows XP will only work on single machine at a time. If you ditch one machine for another their program may force you to call a number to obtain a new registration code - a fairly painless exercise I am told. It will not allow you to run the same copy of two machines at the same time.

HTH
amofw