PDA

View Full Version : BWIA Aborts Take off Manchester Sun 6th October

slipperysnail
6th Oct 2002, 23:01
Arrived on shift today to find L1011 BWIA at end of runway 24R

Tyres burst and undercarriage fire. Suspected engine failure.

Pax remained on A/C 1hr +

VS-075
6th Oct 2002, 23:29
saw it from the airport hotel at 16.30 they were offloading everything from 24 taxiway wondered what was going on.

NG_Kaptain
8th Oct 2002, 02:39
What's the latest on this incident? I'm most interested.

tonyt
8th Oct 2002, 11:01
my neighbour was one of the firefighters attending, apparently flight aborted just before take off when instruments reported rise in engine temp ? (not a techy - might mean something to you guys), the tyres burst due to 300' celsius temp of undercarriage. Took hours to cool down. Fire service thought it safer to keep pax on board rather than evac.
hope this makes sense - I just chuck biscuits out ;-)

touchedrunway?
8th Oct 2002, 11:24
:confused: Heard that the a/c aborted just before V1 due to engine fire/failure. Just managed to stop using max braking before entering the 24 approach lites! Wheels then welded themselves to the undercarriage and tires all melted and burst.

The aircraft was stranded close to JB on the taxiway at 1130 and was still there at 2130 later that day. Heard that they needed two large cranes to move the aircraft overnight. Couldn't see it the following day though, so they must have hangered it somewhere. Not nice for the pax???

mutt
8th Oct 2002, 12:02
did this really happen... tires all melted and burst. or did the fuse plugs melt and deflate the tires as designed?

Mutt.

steve757
8th Oct 2002, 16:33
Not a good day for them. I followed them into 6R at 0600 that morning. They went around at 5 miles after 3 very subtle suggestions from approach that they might not get the height off in time. I was busy at the time but they seemed to be at 5 miles and 2200 feet.

B767300ER
8th Oct 2002, 17:39
2200 feet at 5 miles is'nt too bad!:D

In a B-727, if you can SEE the runway, you can LAND on it!

Wide-bodies are much harder, of course. In a 1011, if you're not on the G/S at the marker, you're WAAAAY behind the aircraft.

Of course, that big HUMP in the runway at MAN always helps, right?

I landed there after a long flight from MIA and MCO one morning, and floated too long, but the hump helped us stop.

j17
9th Oct 2002, 20:48
touchedrunway

you seem to hear a lot of things that are not correct or is it your imagination running wild.True the aircraft did abort close to v1 due to engine indications, not a fire as you have heard,it vacated the runway at ja in a controlled exit rather than careering towards 24 app lts,as it taxied in ,2 or 3 tyres deflated due to the heat plugs doing their job not melting as you suggest, and finally the damage was so bad that the aircraft departed next day to Barbados. Finally if there is a u/c or engine fire the fire service do not let passengers sit on the acft for an hour.

NorthernSky
9th Oct 2002, 23:13
j17,

Call me pedantic, but the fire service don't decide where the passengers sit. The aircraft commander and crew do - they're the ones shouldering the responsibility.

Yes, of course I would ask their advice and act on it if this is appropriate, but to say that 'Finally if there is a u/c or engine fire the fire service do not let passengers sit on the acft for an hour' is out of order (aside from being poorly punctuated and abbreviated).

Hand Solo
9th Oct 2002, 23:42
Yep you really are pedantic! If the fire chief tells you that he recommends you evacuate whilst his trucks are firing foam at your wheels are you really going to refuse? I wouldn't like to defend that one in court!:eek: Besides, if the fire had been burning for an hour there wouldn't be much left of the aircraft or passengers to evacuate anyway.

411A
9th Oct 2002, 23:56
Those that have flown the -500 series TriStar know that the brakes are VERY effective, and stop the aeroplane...pronto.
But they do get hot in the process, so fuse plugs are used (as designed),...and I personally think that leaving the pax on board is a good idea...far too may problems have occured with evacs in unfortunate circumstances.
It all depends on the... (what a novel idea)... Commanders decision.

j17
10th Oct 2002, 17:24
Northern Sky

all I was trying to show was the stupid posts we get to read,everything from the engine on fire to the tyres blowing up and the brakes welding to the wheels and the punters still sitting on the acft after 1 hour.Finally I would not want to be on your acft when the tower controller tells you to evacuate on the left side because you have a fire on the right because I might be dead, while you, as the commander make your own mind up which side to evacuate.

lomapaseo
10th Oct 2002, 20:37
>I would not want to be on your acft when the tower controller tells you to evacuate on the left side because you have a fire on the right because I might be dead, while you, as the commander make your own mind up which side to evacuate.
<

Based on previous history of reported fires by the tower, I sure as hell would like my captain involved in the evac decison before I'm forced out the door by excited passengers.

Wadadli
12th Oct 2002, 02:42
From Caribbean ALPA discussion forum

Posted by: macco
Wed, Oct 09, 2002, 20:37:27

Story is: pneumatic valve in reverser system split, spewing very hot air on fire detection system

; system worked as designed and alarmed.
RTO followed, hot brakes, fuse plugs blown, tyres deflated.
Mandatory change of brakes, rims, tyres, and axles.
Once suitable moving equipment found, all work rapidly carried out and aircraft returned to service.
Take a bow, John. Good work.

-------------------------------------------------------

All the training put to use. Well done.:) :) :)