PDA

View Full Version : Book - airmens obituaries

Genghis the Engineer
6th Oct 2002, 17:49
Before I say anything, I have no commercial interest in this book, haven't knowingly met the author, nor have shares in the company. I just bought it and wanted to share how good it is.

Book in question is "The daily telegraph book of airmen's obituaries". It's £18, 450 pages long, and currently has pride of place in my lavatory where it is absolutely ideal reading on the throne.

Basically it's wall to wall obits of great aviators (aviatrixes) from the pages of the telegraph. To give a feel of the quality of people being written about, and the style of writing, I shamefacedly quote the following (moderator, I've looked it up, up to 200 words can be legitimately quoted in the review of a book without breaching copyright law):-

"Cecil Lewis, who has died aged 98, led an astonishingly diverse life; a veteran of aerial combat over Flanders in the First World War, he was one of the first four members on the staff of the BBC, wrote 20 books and plays, and founded a quasi-religious community in South Africa.

In addition, he won an Oscar, lived in Tahiti, flew across Africa, and seduced literally hundreds of women. Even so, he accomplished rather less than he promised."

I commend it to the reader.

G

Skylark4
6th Oct 2002, 22:44
I make a point of reading the obits in the Telegraph, the Times is good too, but we are fast running out of `interesting` people. The ones with wartime flying experience are in their eighties now and an awful lot have already gone.
You should find that book a good source of biographies to read. The Telegraph usually tells you if the subject wrote a biog..

Mike W