PDA

View Full Version : Magnificent meteorite over UK

Matt Braddock
6th Oct 2002, 08:03
Several BA and United crews approaching EGLL had a ringside seat view of a meteorite at about 0600 today and said that it was the best they had ever seen. Has anyone got more info or even a photo?

Captain Airclues
6th Oct 2002, 16:04
Spectacular from the OCK hold. Many comments on the ATC frequency.

Airclues

Matt Braddock
6th Oct 2002, 17:46
Any idea if it got clearance for a landing somewhere in southern England, or if it was en-route for Europe?

I chanced upon a fascinating meteorite website earlier, and found that collectors pay a fortune for a chunk of space rock.

Might be worth hunting for it if it is in the UK. Where was it heading for, Capt Airclues.... we might be able to earn ourselves a few bob here, or donate our profits to the PPRuNe fund.

MB

CAP509castaway
6th Oct 2002, 19:17
I think we saw this meteorite at around that time at about FL110 over Liverpool bay ! Capt I was with thought it might have been a flare but I thought it might be some space junk re entering the atmosphere.:) :)

Dan Winterland
6th Oct 2002, 21:28
Saw it myself at about 54 North 13 West at FL370. A long green streak followed by a bright orange flare with a hot bit following on. Judging by the rate at which it burnt up, I subscribe to the theory that it was space junk.

Very impressive, the best I've ever seen.