PDA

View Full Version : missed SXM/TNCM experience

Squawk7777
6th Oct 2002, 02:31
I guess that's what you seniority :(

Missed a chance to take a charter flight into St. Maarten Island. Has anyone here flown into this airport. Is it challanging in any way, or does it just look spectacular from the beach? :eek:

7 7 7 7 :cool:

ipanema
6th Oct 2002, 05:46
Assuming you arrive during a rush period, start with almost no time for you to to respond to clearances on frequency (this after talking to a US controller in the San Juan airspace in a very leisurely fashion).

Arrival is best done visually when you get the airport in sight, look out for VFR traffic coming from all directions and at all altitudes - SXM is pretty much in the middle of several islands and inter-island traffic.

The runway is not that long, although it takes 747/777 traffic, so check your WAT limits - so far as I know it is still an ALPA black spot airport.

Overshoot would be an immediate right turn due to the hilly ridge at about 1500' altitude at a right angle across the extended centreline (it constitutes the middle of the island).

After landing, rush hour brings you probably the most congested ramp you will ever come across... and we are not talking Cessnas and Pipers but a mix of heavies parked as closely together as they dare to, along with their associated service equipment and vehicles - and sometimes straggling passengers.

On departure your concern is that ridge, unless you elect to depart downwind (average wind 10 knots, can be up to 15 knots). Dunno what you are flying, but if you have the performance you might be able to go straight ahead upwind and clear the hills. Most traffic, however, start a right turn at 400 feet (or higher) to a southerly heading and take it enroute from there.

If you do not arrive in in a rush period, disregard the frequency and ramp congestion... the rest is possible all the time.

Squawk7777
7th Oct 2002, 03:25
Thanks ipanema!

Initially, my company planned to send me in the Citation Ultra. Then they changed the crew and then to their Citation III, and I've lost track and interest since I won't be going.

I looked up the airport diagram and the runway length is 7152ft - 2180m. I guess this airport will be blacklisted forever, there's absolutely no space to lengthen this runway.

The other thing that caught my attention is the LOCATOR Rwy 09 approach. It seems to be a ordinary NDB, why call it locator?