PDA

View Full Version : PPL flight training outside the UK

micheal
2nd Oct 2001, 17:06
Hi, I want to do my ATPL, but as we all know that idea has to be put on ice for a few months. Does any one know of a good, cheap place to do a PPL and build hours outside the UK? All countries considered.

QUERY
2nd Oct 2001, 21:48
My opinion is that Florida is still best for Brits and other Europeans, especially in Autumn and Winter and the often incredibly low cost of flights. There are some who recommended South Africa (and Zimbabwe!) but it's v. d., in several senses. OZ/NZ is supported, also, but farthest, so travel costs are high. California is fashionable and farther and so average travel cost is, also, higher than to Florida. Also, Californian prices are significantly higher than Florida's.

There are British JAA schools, in Florida and many other parts of the world, who all advertise in Flyer and Pilot, so contact them for quotes.
Other points:
Wherever you choose , make sure that it is a JAA course at a place with plenty of planes and instructors and a JAA examiner.
Ask for written quote with full details of exactly what you get, or not, for what amount.
Every school has its faults, so beware of people who say any specific school is wonderful, or terrible,- they're recruiters or guys with another old axe-to-grind.
Make your decision on where to hour-build after you've completed your PPL course but don't make the mistake of leaving a place you're reasonably happy with simply to save a few dollars.
Wonder what this topic will produce?

micheal
3rd Oct 2001, 17:27
Thanx for your help Query.

micheal
3rd Oct 2001, 17:35
Thanks for your help Query.

HighRoller
3rd Oct 2001, 19:22
Look no farther than Canada!

HighRoller
3rd Oct 2001, 19:30
Look no farther than Canada, Calgary Alberta to be exact! Great weather (it can be gusty),
affordable accomidation, world class FSS and
above all, you'll meet some of the most fun people in aviation.
In my three years of learning and flying, I
must say it's been the best years of my life.
More info? Check out:
www.tc.gc.ca (http://www.tc.gc.ca) www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca (http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca)

If you like what you see, I'll pass on the
"www" address of where I fly out of. A good fleet of 172's including a Cutlass and the rates are the best in the area.

Have fun!

Charlie Foxtrot India
4th Oct 2001, 18:21
Australia has the benefits of great weather, great prices especially with the exchange rate at the moment; and good opportunities for interesting hour building...over here in the West there can be a couple of hours flying time between each town!
If you combine doing your PPL and hour building with a working holiday visa you'll have a ball. Visit those long-lost rellies and take them for a fly!?
Then when the time comes you can do the modular course back in Pommieland.

leading edge!
6th Oct 2001, 01:55
I gained my PPl at Naples Air Center (American spelling) and could not recommend them highly enough. Great location, great weather and if you need more answers drop me a line. I will happily oblige..

BEagle
6th Oct 2001, 18:28
What? No mention of Osama Bin Aviation?

Constable Clipcock
7th Oct 2001, 07:24
Another locale you may wish to consider is Mexico. Here's a link you may wish to try:

http://www.escuelamexico.com.mx/

Gooneybird
12th Oct 2001, 23:27
I did my training initially on the west coast of Canada and am perfectly happy. But to be honest any of the above will be fine for primary training so pick the place that you'd most like to see and go on holiday to.
This is probably the last time for a while you'll get the opportunity to be so frivolous about your flight training, so relax and enjoy it.

micheal
16th Oct 2001, 16:20
Thanks to everyone who replyed. I have finally decided to go to Sydney for a working holiday and to do the license. I may see some of you there next month.

MMG