PDA

View Full Version : KLM steel knife with meals??

Bumfichh
5th Oct 2002, 20:55
I just returned from a long haul flight with KLM and was surprised to be served my meal with a steel knife & fork etc, surely this is a crazy situation when you cannot take nail clippers through airport security. Is this the norm? I think so as on both the in and outbound flights it was the same.

mutt
5th Oct 2002, 21:31
You might find that KLM arent the only ones giving steel cutlery to passengers, but god help any poor soul who thinks that he can hijack an aircraft using them........ just remember that all of the other passengers are armed with the same "weapons"......

Mutt.

The Scarlet Pimpernel
5th Oct 2002, 23:01
You'll be telling me next that the wine was served out of a bottle and they were using boiling water for the tea!!

Seriously...I agree the whole security thing has it's flaws, but where do you draw the line??:)

Smokie
6th Oct 2002, 11:35
Perhaps it is time to "re-arm" our pax with nail clippers again. Then in the unlikely event of a terrorist attack they could give them a good old fashion "clip around the ear" :D :D

PA28-161
7th Oct 2002, 08:26
Right enough, I too have recently returned from a NorthWest/KLM code share long haul - NW out KLM back. NW was all plastic cutlery but it did surprise me that KLM's forks were metal! Got a bit of a chuckle, just thinking how much laughing would be done waving a fork about in a threatening manner. It's a sorry state we're in, passengers have to be treated like kids and not given cutlery that can actually hack through a KLM chicken breast!(like, and electric carving knife or chisel). NW's food meanwhile was fairly edible...

spagiola
7th Oct 2002, 12:23
KLM is certainly not the only one using non-plastic knives on long-haul flights. Both Lufthansa and Alitalia had non-plastic knives with their meals, on recent long-haul flights I took. Not on flights to the USA, mind you -- FAA regulations now dictate that they cannot. But on flights to other destinations, it's up to them.

SCCM2theFlightDeck!
7th Oct 2002, 16:56
I think this issue is related to the station the flight departs from..LHR seemingly loads plastic cutlery whereas other places don't....something to do with a ridiculously thought up strategy of station risk analysis...!!! That being said, it seems laughable to think that any US carrier is loading metal cutlery again...although based on that premise, they should be serving wine out of paper cups and juice cartons! Maybe its the Cabin Crew who should be carrying the stun guns (or whatever has been suggested) seeing as many flight deck doors are now virtually inpenetrable..?