PDA

View Full Version : Win 2000 Quick Restart

Tosh McCaber
5th Oct 2002, 15:26
I used to be able to do a quick windows restart in Win 98, by pressing the shift key at the restart comand. Having upgraded now to Win 2000, this doesn't work- in fact, nothing happens so long as my finger is on the shift key. Does Win 2000 not support this quick restart, or am I doing something wrong?

The Nr Fairy
6th Oct 2002, 08:20
Dunno nuffink about a "quick restart" on Windows 2000, but you have two other choices :

1. Standby - low power mode, computer still active, but turns on again at a moment's notice. Available any time, just choose it from the shut down menu.

2. Hibernate - memory contents saved to a disk file, then computer turned off. When you power it back up it remembers where it was. Quicker than a complete reboot. May require configuration through the Control Panel -> Power Options "Hibernate" tab, tick "Enable Hibernate support".

Caveat for (2) - shutdown and restart the beast from time to time, it can get its knickers in a twist and a reboot "clears its cache", as TD will surely advise if I don't get in there.

Tosh McCaber
6th Oct 2002, 11:11
Thanks, Nr Fairy.

But what I'm looking for is, for example, when something minor goes wrong with Windows, and I need to do a shut down and re-start. Used to be easy and fast in Win98, by holding down shift key when cliccking "Restart"

Anyone else got any suggestions?:confused:

amanoffewwords
6th Oct 2002, 11:55
In WIN2K you choose log off <username> from shutdown box and log back on when prompted from a dialog box - bit like a reset and quicker than a normal restart

I am not aware of a quick restart in WIN2K using the shift key