PDA

View Full Version : a bit of advice from the professionals

take_me_on_high
5th Oct 2002, 08:24
Hi all. I would like a bit of advice from you all and preferably from people who are already successfully in the industry as they will know what it really is all about( ie full ATPL's).

What I want to know is this.... I am approaching the end of my ATPL ground studies(I hope) and will then go on to complete my CPL course. I am 26 yrs old and will be 27 mid next year.

I just got married recently and we want to go travelling together before we get too old to want to do those fun young things.

What I wanted to do was finish my CPL and then leave the IR rating till after coming back from travelling for a year. This means leaving a gap of about a year from doing my cpl and the prospect of not doing any commercial work during that time.

So please tell me people, do you think I should forget going travelling as it could hurt the chances of a career path in aviation or should I do what 'we should never miss out on' in our lifetime?

Also, what are the BEST CPL training schools - Cabair, Oxford, etc...

Cheers
JD

scroggs
5th Oct 2002, 08:35
Frankly, I don't think it would hurt your chances at all. The jobs market is still in a bit of a mess, and the impending adventure in Iraq isn't going to help one little bit - except that it'll keep airline ticket prices down, so go do it!

AMEX
5th Oct 2002, 11:39
Agree with Scroggs.
But I must say I also have a friend who was in a similar postion. He chose to finish his CPl/IR (not sure about the IR actually)first and then went travelling for a few years.
As he and his wife wandered around the world he managed occasionally to get a few flying jobs here and there.
From his perspective it was a bonus because really the aim of the trip wasn't to get a flying job but simply to live an adventure. No pressure and he only took jobs that were suitable for both of them.

Didn't stop him landing a jet job back in the UK.

redsnail
5th Oct 2002, 12:54
Agree with above.
I would add there are no "best" flying schools, only best instructors. Don't forget to look beyond the "big" schools.

grundog
5th Oct 2002, 18:21
Of course you could do an ICAO IR whilst abroad and then do the conversion training when you get back. CAA website has the details and plenty of schools offer an ICAO-JAA IR conversion package for around £4.5K plus exam fees etc.
Its looks like its going to work out cheaper for me - but each to their own I guess.

Grundog

take_me_on_high
5th Oct 2002, 18:53
Wow. Thanks for the replys. I didn't really expect any. But it has dispelled a few of my fears about ruining my job prospects. Perhaps I can have my cake and eat it(or however the saying goes!). I did plan on doing a few odd jobs here and there around the world (columbians are in high demand of pilots i hear!) so it should be fun.

Anyway, thanks again

JD

sam white
6th Oct 2002, 15:08
Good idea, The only problem is that if it is a mad Aussie chick you've just married she may lead you a stray enroute!!!!
Oh and John, if you land a flying job somewhere hot, give me a call, you know my #.

redsnail
6th Oct 2002, 15:54
Mad and Aussie = tautology. :D

JohnnyPharm
8th Oct 2002, 20:04
If you get a job in Columbia make sure you are not delivering packages of a white powder in the middle of the night to an unlit runway, on a remote airstrip near Miami.:eek:

Wee Weasley Welshman
8th Oct 2002, 21:27
Yeah no problem - you have 5 years on your ATPL credits so a year out ain'y such a big deal. In fact entering the jobs foray in 18 months time would probably be better than in 6 months time.

If you can try to get something in that year out that might pique the interest of an airline interviewer. Even if its only taking some dodgy charter to some remote spot in an old and archaic aircraft. Or maybe do some floatplane flying or visit some historic airfield somewhere in the back of beyond.

Good luck,

buttonmonkey
8th Oct 2002, 22:01
Blimey!

You've really got the money to travel for a year and complete your training?! Are you sure you haven't been doing some unlicenced work out in Columbia already?!!