PDA

View Full Version : un-freezing an a.t.p.l.

schuler_tuned
1st Oct 2001, 22:22
in the good old days, all! you needed was a total of 1,500hrs, within which should contain the necessary p.i.c. and night hours.
this total being aquired within 5 years of licence issue. all well and good, and perfectly aceptable for many years, the requirement for a.t.p.l. theoretical knowledge being a requisite for a command
position.
then with the advent of good old johnny harmonisation, the goal posts got dug up and shifted to another county, the added requirement being 500hrs in j.a.r. category 25 or 23 operations.
pre sept 11th i don't suppose anyone taking the a.t.p.l.s at initial licence issue would have even given a second thought about having to resit these exams, but now!, and without the current ability to take the less expensive and demanding c.p.l. writtens, that prospect looks like a distinct possibility!
finacial assistance for ailing airlines is a complex subject, reinstating a proven licencing regulation for the vastly unsupported and vastly self-sponsored a.t.p.l. student shouldn't be; and i don't need to mention v.a.t. exemption for commercial training(not p.p.l.) and exam costs, do i?

PURPLE PITOT
2nd Oct 2001, 19:44
read the rule book. (JAR FCL1)

if you hold avalid CPL/IR, which you can have issued from your ATPL knowledge, there is no time limit on the exam validity.

hope that helps. :rolleyes:

schuler_tuned
2nd Oct 2001, 23:17
what about if you just get the c.p.l. without the i.r. which seems pretty pointless at the moment, and do what looks like the sensible option and get a f.i. rating instead?
i.e. batten down the hatches, build hours and
get an i.r. when times change, if they ever will! i'm not a doom and gloom person by nature, more a guv' type of "fear the worst, hope for the best" but.....
we're only just starting to see some of the affects; b.a., gill, virgin, etc, and now swissair and sabena to follow? and will some of the remaining established f.t.o.s follow p.p.s.c and 4 farces?
we just seem to be such a disparte group of
either voices, all of the same opinon but with no direction and no concerted common goal, apart from licence issue and 1st job.
v.a.t. exemption was once a reality, screwed up by a replacement n.v.q. cetificate that wasn't necessary, and maybe by ourselves by not pursuing it and p.p.l. type abusing.
surely now is the time to start lobbying for any type of assistance, not only by the likes of us lowly faceless wannabes but by the airlines that like it or not depend on self-sponsored types and especially now the f.t.o.s, who will need all the breaks they can get.
17.5% from a very few won't make a big differance in terms of a national budget, but the survival of the relatively small f.t.o.s and the required incentive for the "life blood" of the industry is it would seem imperative.
never before have we seen such a instantaneous depression of the industry in such a small time scale, and as i said before, assistance for ailing airlines is a complex subject, assistance for the future of the airlines isn't!!

Deep Float
2nd Oct 2001, 23:47
Purple Pitot,
Just to recap your conclusion:
I did my final ATPL ground School exams (NAVs) in february 1999 and passed my CPL/IR in June 1999. Although I have yet to fly my first commercial hour (=I havent found a flying job yet), I have always kept my CPL/IR/ME current. Does this mean that there is no time-limit to unfreeze my frozen ATPL?

That would be great!

baronvonmildred
3rd Oct 2001, 00:27
The relevant AICs are clear as mud, so I phoned the CAA. If you keep your IR current within 7 years (where did 7 come from?) you can get a JAR ATPL without time limit, but you must have the 500 hours heavy jet time. If not you must unfreeze by June next year.

Pub User
3rd Oct 2001, 03:12
From the info on the CAA website. If you hold a CAA CPL/IR with ATPL theory credit, and when it runs out you still don't have enough (or any) time on the requisite sized machines, you can renew the licence, and keep the credit. The June 2002 'deadline' is only for initial issue.