PDA

View Full Version : Broome Runway Extension

batch
5th Oct 2002, 04:38
Gday all,

As we speak work is underway to extend the runway at Broome from 2000m to 2500m. This is to allow QF jets to travel direct from Broome to the East Coast (SY and ML) rather than flying via Perth. As I understand it the work will take a couple more months to finish ( including closing YBRM for 12 days to all traffic!!!):(

My question is when will these direct east coast services commence and what aircraft will they use (rumour 737-800??) Any idea on frequency would also be good?

cheers:)

topend3
6th Oct 2002, 02:53
can you see qf flying direct from syd or mel direct to broome? i don't think so, that would be way above the narrow minded people working in their head shed, i thought qf were already flying -800s into broome from perth??? maybe there is an opening there for dj to start into broome, that would be good as presently qf have that market all to themselves. if dj can fly into coffs and other places like maroochy, mackay etc, surely broome must be another option for them, through alice for example???

High Altitude
6th Oct 2002, 07:26
Quick question to Broome guys and gals...

With the runway being extended towards China town how low will the jets be over Henry's???:)

batch
6th Oct 2002, 07:45
high altitude,

just the other day the removed a section of the above ground power lines along the road at the china town end. I also read something in the local rag about people not being happy in regards to limits on vertical development in chinatown, re those low jets. So i suppose they will be starting to flare over the Roey!

Hawk400
6th Oct 2002, 09:44
Batch,

In actual fact the 24 threshold will remain the same. The extensions at each end will increase the take-off distance available by 500m whilst the landing distance will only increase by 250m. ie the extension on 10 will be used for aicraft landing on 24. if you know what I mean.

The purpose of the upgrade was to allow bigger aircraft like the -800 to come in from Perth and Alice(Broome only gets the -300 at the mo). This hopefully will encourage Virgin to start services as they won't have any weight restrictions. A -800 of QF's did come in once but was weight restricted. Even then it still dented the runway. The aircraft was one of their new ones called "Broome", hence the big media fiasco when it arrived.

I've even heard of potential International flights on the cards from Singapore this time, not Bali.

I'm not sure about the requirements for Fokker 100's but I reckon Skywest would seriously be considering coming into Broome when they receive their 1st 100. They'd want to get in before DJ.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers

batch
7th Oct 2002, 03:09
hawk400,

Thanks, for the info. The rumour that i am still unsure of is regarding direct flights to the east coast. I recently had some visitors fly from sydney to perth to broome, they were so tired when they got here they needed days of rest. My point is that a direct service from Broome to the east would cut travel time and encourage people to visit broome (growth in tourism). It is possible for the aircraft to go Broome - Syd will full payload??

topend3
7th Oct 2002, 06:00
skywest getting F100's, when did that happen? i know they are leasing one off alliance, but thoguht that was only to be used on the argyle contract.

also, history shows attempts to start international flights into broome have been a flop, ansett tried twice and national jet also had a go, it didn't work.

yes, VH-VXA, one of Qantas' -800s did go into Broome for it's christening ceremony after being delivered.

MIss Behaviour
7th Oct 2002, 13:22
From what I've heard whilst the the airport is a 'no fly zone' from 11-22 November, GA Operators will be using Roebuck Plains Airport 40kms away while Skippy and Airnorth will use the RAAF Base at Curtin.

MoFo
7th Oct 2002, 23:47
I hope they resurface the existing bit too. Would be one of the worst runway surfaces around. Scares the crap out of the punters when taking off and landing.

It can only be good for Broomes economy to make it easier to access from the east coast.

Raingauge
8th Oct 2002, 12:49
Broome is easy enough to find, as it's on the coast...I just hope a certain pilot is notified on where Roebuck Plains is as she has recently learnt the leason that you can't Squark Ident out there:p

High Altitude
9th Oct 2002, 01:40
MoFo now theres one i've never heard, a pilot blaming the runway for a bad take off or landing...:D

topend3
9th Oct 2002, 03:06
Scarenorth dropping their pax at Curtin? now there's a funny one, how will they get into town, walk? it's bloody 200km away!!!

gaunty
9th Oct 2002, 03:30
I think direct access to the east coast is a cracker idea if they have or can develop the traffic.

It is a fantastic tourist spot and a great gateway to the Kimberleys.

I cant tell you what a boon the PER/BNE direct service is.:) and tourists dont want to spend a long and tiring whole day getting there if it can be done in 5 hours and into the pool and first beer by lunch.

Build it and they will come!:cool:

Transition Layer
9th Oct 2002, 04:05
Nice one Raingauge... :D

Brisbane Centre were very thoughtful to point out Halls Creek for her...to bad they couldn't give her radar vectors to the SW tip!

:D

TL

WALLEY
21st Oct 2002, 16:06
The airport is arranging busses to and from Curtin to Broome 2hrs!!

Rfds will in an emergency landing avbl on eastern end this can only happen if the Broome Derby Road is closed for take off over Chinatown!!!.

Local GA and GA for mechanics can use a graded ALA 4 kms out must have prior signed permission,watchout 24hr security is there and CASA to be advised of any unauthorised landings.Landing without prior inspection is an offence CAAP92-1.:(