PDA

View Full Version : VB requirements

pistol_pete
5th Oct 2002, 03:57
I was just looking at the Virgin Blue pilot application page on staffcv.com and it only mentions X hours flight experience and an ATPL or CPL pass as thier minimum entry requirements and nothing on education, doesn anyone know what sort of education requirements they have, or are they more interested in experience?

Thanks

Airspeed Ambassador
5th Oct 2002, 11:40
Had an interview recently. Was quizzed briefly on the subjects studied at school (no degree for me!). I get the impression that your education level probably (just my guess) becomes more important the less flying experience you have. I think they are trying to gauge your ability to successfully get through a type rating and line training. If you are well experienced and have other advanced types on your licence, it’s probably a good indicator that you will handle the study load because you have done it previously. On the other hand if you are less experienced they will probably be more interested in your education history and thus your "sponge" rating (to soak up that 737 knowledge!).

If you are worried about your education level or the lack of subjects such as math and physics, do yourself a favour and do one of the short courses recognised by Qantas. Not only will you benefit from the knowledge, it shows you are keen and want the job!

Best of luck

AA

PS I got the job:)

jetblues
5th Oct 2002, 18:48
AA any tips on the interview format, questions etc etc ??

5th Oct 2002, 23:53
Airspeed Congrats'

When's your start date?
So once again our paths will cross, alot like a number of other of our fellow hair dryer enthusiasts.:D

Besides the weather is much better up here:cool:

pistol_pete
6th Oct 2002, 01:46
Thanks for all the info Airspeed, it was just what I was after.

Oh, and well done on getting in!

Airspeed Ambassador
6th Oct 2002, 11:29

Starting January and very much looking forward to the "Baby Boeing" and a new life in Brissy.

jetblues,

the interview is a fairly informal affair. You will be interviewed by a panel of three. It's essentially a meet and greet and I get the impression that they have done most of their homework on you (i.e. reference checks) before you even get to the interview. They will have a printout of info from staff.cv in front of them as they interview you.

There are no trick questions - all are obvious
They will ask you about your flying background
Why do you want to work for Virgin?
How do you feel about relocating to Brisbane?
How do you feel about paying for your type rating?
Technical questions probably depend on your background but should pose no dramas for the average CPL/ATPL. (eg basic aerodynamics) No Jepp/IFR questions that I am aware of. Cover your bases and study all areas regardless. If you don't know something they ask, tell them so, no BS!

Other than the above, I think they are trying to see if you have a personality that will mesh well with other crews. Be yourself, be personable and enthusiastic and I believe you will be successful.

It seems getting the interview is the hardest part - update your cv once a month and stay keen. It took me 18 months of applying but it was worth it.

Hope this helps.

AA

jetblues
6th Oct 2002, 13:32
AA good help. Ta.

JetRacer
17th Oct 2002, 10:26
Conratulations Airspeed Ambassador!!

Thanks for posting what peope can expect at the interview, very helpful.

Cheers,

JetRacer :)