PDA

View Full Version : Heart attack

LPL
4th Oct 2002, 20:30
God forbid it ever happening,

But is it possible for a private pilot , who holds a JAR class 2 med cert, to fly again (unrestricted in any way ) after suffering a heart attack ?. Or is that the end of flying full stop.

A gloomy post I know, but just wondering.

redsnail
5th Oct 2002, 20:52
In Australia a PPL who has had a heart attack and has made a full recovery can I believe fly again after 6 months. They may need a "safety" pilot.
I believe a CPL holder can fly again but must have a safety pilot with them.
I know Australia isn't JAR but at least it's a start.

Thomas coupling
6th Oct 2002, 00:36
dual crew only

QDMQDMQDM
7th Oct 2002, 21:18
I suspect the answer is 'yes', but you'd have to have an angiogram first to assess the degree of coronary artery disease. If that was OK, they might pass you, I'd guess. Lots of people get uppity about the angiogram requirement, but it seems reasonable to me. Sudden death, single pilot at 3,000 feet (or 30 feet!) is a bummer for the passengers, to say the least.

QDM
(UK GP, not AME)

Aragorn
18th Oct 2002, 12:13
If all the protocols are met satisfactorily there are no limitations except medicals every 6 months which include stress ecg and report from your cardiologist. Every 4th one of these ecgs is a Thallium scan.

The protocols in AUS at least are: Angiogram, 24 hour Halter monitor, Gated Blood pool scan, Thallium scan, stress ecg (Bruce protocol).

If these tests are assessed as negative then a licence is issued. Single pilot IFR & ATPL have been issued in the past after the 6 month rehab period post a.m.i. have been met.

I'm sure each case is considered individually but these are things that happened to a friend of mine a couple of years back.

:)