PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating day with my ground studies :(

OBK!
4th Oct 2002, 20:19
This must be my real unlucky day. I went through the first 3 chapters of Meteo today and took the test...67%. Ok, not very good at all! Time to go through it a lot more. A few hours later, I had it in my mind that I fully understood EVERYTHING! This is no lie, I actually felt I was going to get 90+%!

Anyway, I come to take the test, I find that all the questions are now relativley straight forward and my working out doesn't seems as messy as before! Question 30 of 30, easy peasy! Ok, let's find out the result. 67%!? Again?! This must be wrong? I know that I have answered differently to the first time!

Anyway I check the hard copy progress test with what I got and with the context and everything seems to be fine with the answers I got? Has anyone else had these problems? Is it specific to the program I got with BGS? I feel I am being teezed!

liquidhockey
4th Oct 2002, 20:33
I think that part where you say 'a few hours later' is your problem. I am only at PPL level but as i would believe it...you should sleep then try it again when you arent so uptight about the last time you failed. I know this....when you sleep you store the information learnt during the day, therefore its better to study at certains times in order to remember more!

Im not sure if you have the time but if you do then let its best to rest for at least one night then revise it again and im sure you will do much better.

Only my opinion but thats all i can give you.

Cheers
Dave

laurie
4th Oct 2002, 20:47
OBK,

Remember just before your course arrived and Fr Laurie (The Priest!) was suggesting "See how you go"?

Well that's why old chap!! :D

Liquid Hockey has good advice for you, and look around at some other sources also. Even the Trevor Thom books....his one on Meteorology (Law included) is one I, and other ATPL students still use.....

Bristols notes are good - a score of 67% on feedback tests suggests to me you are trying to gun it...what's the rush?

If you want another text to read try 'Meteorology for Pilot's' by Sqdn Ldr Mike Wickson. Its a nice readable book.

Just the thing for you to enjoy with your cocoa and teddy. All the best,

Laurie!

automan
5th Oct 2002, 19:35
Hi,

Ive begun my atpl ground studies , also with bristol, its taken approx 2 1/2 months to get through 5 modules, Ive been getting around 95 percent on my tests

These ground studies can not be rush , getting 67 % is indicating to me that your not taking all the relevant infomation in or indeed looking at the replies , you may be rushing things.

Look at it this way I have calculated it should take me 12-14 months this complete this course.....

My study time table equates to me doing 1-2 hours per night in a very quiet room and either all day saturday or all day sunday.

you need to study ,but not kill your self, you will only fail should you over do it......

Ive got a very demanding full time job, so i have to fit my study around it....

hope this helps.....

Automan

p.s the trevor thom books are very good

GonvilleBromhead
7th Oct 2002, 07:52
OBK,

Don't stress too much with it, it will come together.

I've now finished both modules with BGS, and each to their own style, but I personally used the prog tests first of all to try and test my knowledge to the best of my ability.

But after a while I kind of changed tack (possibly due to the fact I came across the same frustration as you) and used them in conjunction with the notes (ie. not necessarily trying to answer them all without looking at the notes) to identify gaps in my knowledge, then went back to the relevant section of notes and bloody well made sure I nailed that section.

Just an idea anyway, it worked for me (along with a fair amount of hard work), passed all first time, decent grades.

Good luck.
:)

FlyingForFun
7th Oct 2002, 10:33
When you finish the test, do you go over the questions you've got wrong? The software on the CD will show you the right answer, together with a detailed explaination. Knowing you've got 67% the first time round is a good start, but unless you know which questions you got wrong, and why you got them wrong, it's hard to improve.

Apart from that, I agree with other posters - take a break. I had a very similar experience this week. I started off with a frame of Performance - two chapters on take-off performance. The material wasn't difficult, and was surprisingly interesting. I read both chapters pretty quickly, made some notes and felt confident. Then I started reading the next frame, which was Operational Procedures. Completely different - thoroughly boring, huge tables of meaningless numbers to learn. I sat there for hours, staring at the pages and not taking anything in. Eventually, I gave up on Ops Procs and went back to Performance. Did the test on the CD for the chapters I'd just read. But I was still so frustrated about the Ops Procs that I just couldn't concentrate on the test. I actually gave up half way through. Next day, I came up with a plan for re-reading and learning the Ops Procs stuff. By Friday, I'd finished reading the Ops Procs material. Yesterday, I did the tests for both frames. Got 80%+ for both of them first time around, and 98% once I'd gone over the questions I got wrong.

Once your brain decides it's had enough, there's no point carrying on. Leave it for a day or two, and it will make much more sense when you come back to it.

FFF
-------------

OBK!
7th Oct 2002, 10:41
Thanks for allt he comments! I've certainly picked up some tips.

However, the problem with my brain is, IT NEVER WANTS TO LEARN! However, sometiems at night, say 2300! it feels like a bit opf interesting reading. Darn brain!

Localiser Green
15th Oct 2002, 11:01
If it's any consolation Met was my worst subject by far when doing the ATPLs....

Was always getting quite low marks in the feedback papers etc..

Anyway test day came along, still didn't understand the whole subject very well despite hours of mindless reading in the days and nights before.

Honestly guessed about 2/3 rds of all the questions. Passed first time with 86%.

Plenty of guys in my class had a much better understanding and failed it, so it just goes to show. No justice whatsoever, I don't deserve the Met pass, but sometimes you will just get lucky on the day.

Not that I am suggesting you don't try to learn the topic, but just saying all might not be lost just yet :D

foghorn
15th Oct 2002, 12:05
Assuming that you're distance learning, the figure that we were always told was that statistically (at the school I distance-learned at), the brush-up course was worth 15% on average in each exam.

67 + 15 = 83% = PASS!!!

Keep up the work and you'll get there. The key (as with all things in aviation) is to persevere.

cheers!
foggy.