PDA

View Full Version : Best and Worst Aircrews...From a dispatchers perspective.

CainanUK
4th Oct 2002, 18:59
So which airlines that you work with have the best and worst flightcrews to eal with? Any that you look forward to dispatching and which ones do you absolutely dread? My fovourites that I have worked with over the years....

1. Southwest Airlines
2. Aer Lingus
3. Miami Air
4. American Trans Air
5. Malev Hangarian Airlines

justforfun
4th Oct 2002, 20:04
Ok, so this'll be from an aircraft despatchers point of view... well, some are a complete pain in the butt, and some are great, some are also FOM's, AFOM's etc, who may have an input into the "next new staff member in OPS", so! - reckon I'll give it a miss by naming the companies... :rolleyes: - although, the DA (that'll be Dan Air for the younger viewers!!) guys'n gals were pretty much ok - few "interesting characters" mind you!!! :p

Anonymity - great isn't it?! ;)

cabbott1
12th Oct 2002, 13:55
As a dispatcher in Denmark i would have to say

*KLM*

They are just the nicest crew's, always offer you coffee or tea during the turnaround. They also let you get on with your job and they are so easy going...

I worked in the UK(4 years) as dispatch in what was a very trying period and i remember many things happening to me but i would say the worst i met in the UK was

*Sabena*

Remember a ***hole captain who i had many dealing with before complain and complain about fuel being late. He told me he would have me out of a job! 4 days later SN went bust..

Tony_EM
14th Oct 2002, 15:30
Most friendly; Austrian

Most professional; Singapore

Most worrying; Nigerian, Turkmenistan

Biggest pain in the ****; Iberia

groundhugger
15th Oct 2002, 21:37
No airline really stands out as it really is individual crews who make or break the turnaround.

Have to say that Spanish flight deck tend to be the worst while have found Crossair crews to generally be very friendly (especially the chocolate gold coins),while have had many fun times with RAF and USAF crews (never forget the day usaf crew took out 8" Hunting knife from his leg pocket after setting off the metal detector and seeing security guards face)

lets just say there are some good uns and some a*******s!!!!!

wot goes up must come down!

redfield
16th Oct 2002, 15:32
I agree with Cabbott 1 - KLM are great, Sabena/DAT/SN Brussels/
S-Tail/whatever are.......not quite so great. KLM just went with the flow, even when things weren't flowing in the right diection they were never any trouble, while some of the Sabena crews that I met needed a humour implant. Pegasus crews are usually in a good mood as well!

JoyDivision
16th Oct 2002, 22:56
Haven't worked in despatch for a few years but when I did.........

Contrary to whats gone before
Best - UK carriers(mostly), Aviaco, Spantax (yeah I know, that dates me!), JAT, EI, Inex Adria, Aviogenex. All these usually offered drinks and demonstrated a relaxed approach.

Worst (for reasons including awkwardness, pedantics but not I stress competency) CY, Balkan, NLM/KLM, LH. In most cases these guys were formal and distant.

Spent 6 years doing the job and only came accross crew that gave me concern on 2 occasions. As has been said before, its a bit unfair lumping all the crew together in this way as many bucked the trend both ways!

BONDMAN
17th Oct 2002, 15:24
Aaahhh the Crossair chocolate coin .. remember it well, most relaxed .. got to be Southern Air Tspt 707 or Herc crews

Cheers Bondy :D :D

Leezyjet
17th Oct 2002, 22:39
Ahh, the gold coins on Crossair....yum yum :D

Worst - most UK charter airline crews, got their heads up their own @$$e$ most of the time, think they are so important.
Some BD flight deck and cabin crews especially BFS and DUB crews.

Most ex-military pilots on civillian a/c. Think they are still officers in the forces and speak to people as if they are beneath them - your in the real world now boys, respect is earned out here.

Best - Balken Tu-154 flight deck were pretty chilled out. Once had one walk off the a/c accros the taxiway and laid down on the grass with a fag in his hand sunbathing as his a/c had been blocked in by a BD 737 and couldn't depart for 1.5hrs until the BD went. Another had an engine fire on startup, stuck his head out of the window and shouts "ah it ok - we go on 2" and off they went !.

Any f/deck that keeps out of my face and lets me do my job without interfering.
;)

ezydruid
19th Oct 2002, 05:03
Too right, Leezyjet.

Balkan - Wouldn't want to fly with 'em, but loved dispatching 'em.

"Non anum rodentum" sums the flight deck up, and the "back end" made a fantastic cup of coffee (at least that's what they said was in it!!) ;)

Joint best would have to be Aer Lingus Commuter.
The only guys I've ever met who managed to make the word "manana" seem urgent.
(and boy could they DRINK !!!!!!) :D

Worst - AIR FRANCE without a doubt.
Stuck up, snotty bunch of w*****s.

GASH !
19th Oct 2002, 18:55
Nothing like an Aer Lingus to brighten up the morning.

Flight deck always friendly, cabin crew usually lovely. If I'm lucky I may find that we have an all female crew on board ;) and I might get a breakfast thrown in too!

If I was to do a poll round our office, I expect Air France would come bottom of the pile by a mile. Feckin' cheese munchin' surrender monkeys!!

Lewy Boy
21st Oct 2002, 00:10
Best crews i`ve worked with are :
1. Ryanair
2. JMC
3. Pegasus
4. My travel
5. Iberia

Worst aircrews:
1. Tap air portugal (without a doubt)
2. Air Atlanta
3. Cyprus Airways
4. Meridiana
5. Excel

Wizdum
21st Oct 2002, 02:56
It wouldn't be fair to say that this crew are tough to deal with but this happened to me tonight and in hindsight is hilarious. Despite the hassle it caused me at the time.

1900 arrive to work to find an overnight crew route has had a change of a/c, we need an extra cabin crew member for min crew. Night shift = running office alone, all phones, all crewing and despatch duties are mine.

1915 can't get anyone. Mobiles off or just ain't interested, hardly surprising. at 1915 on a Sunday evening would you? Flight departs at 2220.

1920 crew on ramp about to depart 2 hours late for their overnight station call on VHF. Tell me that the wx at destination is below published minima. I get a metar and taf and have a look. SCT004 BKN006 5000, I understand this to be above minima and put it to the crew.

1925 have phoned 8 people for o/n duty, still no takers. Crew on ramp call again and say that they are looking at a jepp plate dated 02/03/02 for the approach and published MDH is 990'. At this I'm incredulous and get my own jepp manual. My plate is out of date but states the minimum is 359'. I decide to go to the a/c and see this plate for myself.

1930 Arrive at a/c and get the plate. Turns out they got their altitude and height figures mixed up. And it takes two minutes of explaining to convince them!!! No lads, the MDH is in brackets... That's the MDA....

WTF????? And these people are earning two and three times my salary!!! I did get somebody for the o/n duty though :cool:

Tony_EM
21st Oct 2002, 11:18
Apologies for the generalisation, point taken.

Though it should go without saying that there are good and bad in any dept, airline, country, etc. Some of The Iberia crews were an absolute delight, even fun. So I'd expect folk to use their own experience when interpreting such opinions.

On the subject of correcting crew mistakes, some aircrew are better than others and all have good and bad days. I remember correcting one captain for entering the MTOW into the aircraft's system instead of the ATOW. I got a commendation from him to Ops. Some weeks later, a colleague corrected the same captain for using the inbound flight number when asking for push-back clearance, he literally got kicked off the aircraft.

Agree with the Cyprus perception Lewy Boy and the fact that Iberia could easily sit on both best and worst lists.

Best chocolates must have been the Austrian treats, best food was Singapore, namely the Satay and ice cream. We used to use the inbound Turkmenistan left-overs to kill rats.

starship
26th Oct 2002, 09:33
Best Crew

Air Via
Futura
Pegasus
SATA Air Azores
Transaer
Air Malta
JMC/MYT/BAL

Worst Crew

Sabena Mainline
SN Brussels / DAT
VIVA
SOME Air 2000 bases

Best/Worst in terms of Best Comedy Value, Worst all else!

Air Luxor when the 757 was operating for Leisure in 1998 ;)

cheers,

starship:cool: