PDA

View Full Version : Qantas and ATPL theory subjects

BUSTACLOUD
4th Oct 2002, 17:44
Hi all just after some advice or info.

Over in the eurozone at the mo been over here for a few years flying heavies. Finally I have been asked to come on down for the first stage interviews with Qantas.I hold an OZZIE ATPL and flew in OZ as a captain on turboprops for a while before heading off.

The recruitment officer asked for my examinations record but i only hold oz commercial theory subjects and have an ATPL issued on conversion from a foreign ATPL (FAA) . She has all my Licence details so why does she need my subjects if i already hold an OZATPL. I hold a full JAR ATPL and UKATPL with all the subjects passed.

Any Qantas chaps or chapesses been in the same boat as me,will it affect my application?? info would be greatly appreciated.:) :) :)

Z Force
4th Oct 2002, 23:18
This is rumour only so don't take it as gospel but I believe both Qantas and Virgin require passes in the Australian ATPL subjects. I did hear this is the case as some foreign ATPL's are easier to obtain than the Aus one and therefore it does not give a level playing field to those candidates who have the Australian one.

BUSTACLOUD
5th Oct 2002, 05:14
mmm! interesting!! I know for sure that is not the case with VB have a few mates with FAA and UKATPL conversions who have recently been offered jobs, but Qantas might be a different kettle of fish.

I do not see a problem once your application has passed the hands of the first line recruitment personnel onto someone who knows the significance and uselessness of ATPL theory subjects be they australian,american and especially the UK theory but at first i believe i could be at the mercy of those people.

Again are there any Qantas peoples who know any different?

Much obliged

cheers

Bankstown
5th Oct 2002, 05:34
The reason they want subject pass confirmation is that an ATPL is not a prerequisite, but passes in the subjects are. Just standard dotting of the 'I's.

redsnail
5th Oct 2002, 13:15
Just quietly, if you haven't passed all the subjects for the Aust ATPL, I would push the fact that you have passed all the subjects for the UK/JAR ATPL.

I have heard a *rumour* (and it is just that) that a few companies in Oz don't like FAA to Aust ATPL conversions.

BUSTACLOUD
5th Oct 2002, 13:34
thanx for that if any one else would like to add it would be much appreciated. I was thinking of pushing my uk/jar ATPL forward. Oh well we will see soon enough i suppose!

Freek Flyer
7th Oct 2002, 04:35
I know for a fact ppl have been turned away from VB due to havinfg converted US ATPL and no AUST ATPL theory credits.

With rgs to QF, I know guys in the past with US ATPL (converted) and have been through stage 1 at least, that was a while ago though, I don't know what has changed.

Johhny Utah
8th Oct 2002, 00:55
I think that the best option for you would be to go and get your Australian ATPL. Simple solution. For, as I understand it, one of the minimum requirements as listed on the Qantas website is:

Hold Credits for all Australian Airline Transport Pilot (Aeroplane) Licence theory subjects

reddo & Busta - As much as I can congratulate you on gaining your JAR ATPL, it doesn't seem to be what Qantas are looking for - otherwise I'd imagine that they'd add a disclaimer along the lines of "or other ICAO member state equivalent" to the above listed pre requisite qualification. :confused:

If guys & girls can get through with converted overseas quals, then I guess they are fortunate. Remember though, that airlines like Qantas have minimum requirements to screen the number of applications they receive. If you don't meet the min requirements as listed, then you don't really give yourself a fighting chance against all of the others that do... :( And that seems a bit foolish to me...

redsnail
8th Oct 2002, 13:02
Johnny Utah,
cheers for that, I do hold a full Aust ATPL that I did in Australia. No FAA conversion there. :D FAA ATPL is the one I don't have.

In Europe, they don't give a toss about your "foreign ICAO ATPL" unless you got a heap of command time on +30 tonne. :(

LimitedPanel
10th Oct 2002, 08:05
What about passes in the Australian SCPL subjects, goes back a way I know. But do Qantas regard these as meeting their minimums?

Icarus2001
10th Oct 2002, 18:31
Funny how 99% of airline aircraft come from two factories but each administration (and airline) wishes to assert their right to add more unnecessary bureacracy. Clearly the aircraft behave differently in each hemisphere.:eek:

Freek Flyer
I know for a fact ppl have been turned away from VB due to havinfg converted US ATPL and no AUST ATPL theory credits.

Do you work in admin at VB? Applicants are never told why they were unsuccessful so the only way you could know that for a fact is from the recruiting side or more likely is someone told you that is why they did not get, when in reality they would not really have known why they did not get in.

farcup77
11th Oct 2002, 01:26
Icarus,

The Freek speaks the truth,I know of one who was interviewed and at the end was told that they(VB) were no longer accepting Aus ATPL's that were issued on the basis of an FAA ATPL,so he was told to go away and finish the theory credits and call back when he has them.Doesn't really constitute a knock back.

If you take a look at their application form,they have introduced a question which asks if your ATPL was issued on the basis of a foreign qualification,that's there for a reason!!

So in short,VB DO NOT ACCEPT CONVERTED FAA'S,unless you have all 7 OZ theory passes.I cannot speak for QF,but I would imagine they would be in the same boat.

So guys,the loophole has definately been closed,and we are back to a LEVEL playing field,so don't waste your hard earned!!:D

I would imagine these ATP factories in seppo land are feeling the pinch!:eek:

BUSTACLOUD
15th Oct 2002, 17:31
Limited Panel

in answer to your question yes i know people recently employed with SCPL.

LimitedPanel
17th Oct 2002, 23:19
Bustacloud,
Thanks for the info. Now I just have to get the minimum fixed wing command time - the expensive bit.

Turbine
18th Oct 2002, 02:32
Two friends recently got jobs at Virgin. Neither had Aus ATPLs. Both had FAA conversions. Both got the ATP equivalent becasue of time constraints in their Aussie employment at the time. Virgin were happy with this.

I did hear that Virgin have sacked a few whingers from within the ranks lately... apparently not 'team players'. I thought that this was surprising. What do you have to do to upset the Virgin bosses?