View Full Version : JAR Instruments: Last attempt ?

Fly_146
26th Jun 2001, 02:23
How many people out there are on their last attempt with Instruments?

I know of three people who have passed everything but Instruments, and now find themselves in this position. Even having studied the subject weeks on its own, they still can't pass.

I have to say it was the hardest exam for me (and I still havn't passed it either!)

Can who has got through this exam offer advise on how they did it!

Capt Wannabe
26th Jun 2001, 14:08
Well, you need to know the 'classic' stuff inside out. Particularly pitot-static, gyros, and compasses. When I sat it there were three compass questions that were not valid and were complained about.
The difficulty with the glass-cockpit side is knowing where to stop. There does not appear to be a reference aircraft for the subject, but seemingly if there is any confusion the CAA will refer to the 737.
Get as much feedback as you can, but whatever you do, DO NOT rely on other peoples answers, even if they have come from a reputable school. Make sure you find references for answers, and remember that a lot of feedback questions are fed back wrongly. Having said that, we had seen a lot of questions word for word.

Best of luck to all with Instruments, personally it was one of my favourites!

------------------
CW
The original not the imposter!

[This message has been edited by Capt Wannabe (edited 26 June 2001).]

Gear up_flaps up_shut up
26th Jun 2001, 14:23
Fly_146,

Are you telling me you still haven't got out of the asylum near Milton Keynes!

Best of luck with instruments. Perhaps a brush-up at OATS is called for - if you still have the money that is!!

india_bravo
26th Jun 2001, 23:59
Gear Up's right the best you can do is a one day refresher at Oxford for just £100, it's cheaper than having to start all over again.

Fly_146
27th Jun 2001, 02:18
I escaped the 'asylum' three months ago!

Ive been doing some travelling since then, picking up tips from experts in the fields of my last remaining exams.

Ive also found my sunny back garden with a few bottles of bud more conductive for studying than that spaceship library!

exams next week...

Speed Addict
27th Jun 2001, 23:53
Last attempt, Instruments too. Feedback welcome !

Last round, but this one's gonna be right between the eyes !!

;-)

Info on quality of OAT brushups, anyone ? PLEASE ?

[This message has been edited by Speed Addict (edited 27 June 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Speed Addict (edited 02 July 2001).]

Speed Addict
3rd Jul 2001, 03:36
I insist, especially since some will take the exam today !...
Fresh info for somebody in quite a thirst of this... Help !?

:-)

Superfly
3rd Jul 2001, 18:48
Well Chaps,

Just sat Instruments this morning at Gatwick, from the little I can remember here is a glance of what we had :

+ a majority of questions on pressure instruments, DRMC, gyros ... ie: what errors does the machmeter suffer from? - what happens in a descent if pitot tube gets blocked ? .... no surprise he ?!!

+ engine Instruments:

they're quite keen trying to trick you with questions on RPM monitoring / disavantages of float type fuel gauging system ( no capacitance fuel gauge system question surprisingly !)/ what type of pressure sensor is used to measure Inlet compressor pressure ?/ thermocouple.

+ Warning & Recording:
On an aircraft that has GPWS mandatorily installed what signals MUST the system give to crew ? A)aural B)visual C) aural and visual if convenient D) Visual and aural if convenient.
What frequency is used for low altitude Radio altimeter?
for RAltimeter DH is set by pilot: A)as pressure altitude B) as radio-altitude ....
What does indicate RA reading indicates ?: A) true height of A/C over ground B) true height of the Lowest wheel (or gear, I don't remember) over ground ....
For an aircaft registered after 1ST April 98 How long must a VCR and FDR respectively be able to record?
what symbol is used on TCAS display to show traffic that does not cause a treat?
give the different locations/displays where TCAS information can be displayed.
Give the different modes used by GPWS.
Your GPWS says "Don't sink, Don't sink" what does it mean?

+ autoflight:

On which axis is Autotrim used?
What indication does the yaw damper give? A)rudder movement due to rudder pedals moving.../ (don't remember the rest).
A system that proportionally transforms a relatively small input to a large output is called : A) a servo-mechanism.....
How is TO/GA mode engaged?

Well that's about it from me, hope it's gonna help some of my fellow PPRUNERS. If anyone wants to correct me on this or add some information he/She is most welcome as my examples are badly worded, Sorry but Shakespeare's language is not my mother tongue http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
May I finally suggest that we keep the same layout for better reading/emphasys ?

ie: + Warning & Recording:

+ autoflight:

Superfly

3rd Jul 2001, 19:00
Fly_146

I thought you were in Coventry all this time, I don't call that much of a journey!
What happened?
B

essex_boy
3rd Jul 2001, 19:15
i sat instruments today for the second time and i found that 50% of the questions were the good old stuff gyro's pitot's etc. with a lot of ambiguous questions, badly(that my excuse)written. i agree with you that it is one of the hardest papers but i feel you have to know the theory. questions only wont get you through it.

good luck eb

Speed Addict
3rd Jul 2001, 19:57
Superfly,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. That's what I call a nice debrief! Hope you passed, the others as well !.. ;-)

Just curious, what's your mothertongue ?

Let me know in 2 weeks, the Champagne is in the fridge !

All the best.

Fly_146
4th Jul 2001, 21:04
Thanks for all the info superfly!

312928??: Have been in Cov. was on a weeks 'study leave'.

Now off to Ibiza till the results are out! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Superfly
4th Jul 2001, 23:07
No problem, always a pleasure to help my fellow wannabes,

Speed Addict, to answer your question I'm French.
still 3 exams to go tomorrow and I'll take a well deserved break ! will put some champ in the fridge too in case I pass all the papers at first attempt!!

SF