PDA

View Full Version : Take the Bad with the Good...

BravoOne
4th Oct 2002, 14:53
I have just been grounded by HSBC :( :( . They took two weeks to look over my professional studies plan, then called me today to say that they wern't in a position to help me.

The criteria I failed on was:

1. No job offer at the end of my training :confused: . (Of course, I haven't got the relevant qualifications!) and
2. Not enough security, although they did say even if I could provide the rest of the security that I still would not have qualified.

They did say though that they have, in the past, funded students who were self sponsored and had secured employment on completion of their training?? Anyone heard of this before?

Not going to give up that easy unfortuately, so, has anyone else found any alternative routes for funding modular training courses other than saving as you work or robbing banks/wealthy relatives etc.

I plan to work full-time for the majority of my training so if anyone has any thoughts I would greatly appreciate them.

Regards,
B1.

BravoOne
4th Oct 2002, 16:42
Anyone out there experience the same as myself? How did you over come it?

redsnail
4th Oct 2002, 17:50
Did every thing part time. Worked full time whilst studying and when I wasn't studying I worked part time as well. Got the various licences in stages. Used my annual leave to do the flying in blocks. Work was flexible so I could adjust the hours.
Took a long time.
(This was in Australia).

I dare say save up and get the PPL.
Do the ATPL theory distance learning.
Then find some more money to do the CPL/IR. Note* watch the time limit on exam validity for the CPL/IR.

Limit your financial exposure at each stage. I wouldn't worry, there aren't many jobs out there for low houred pilots yet. I'd be aiming to complete 2004 or later.

BravoOne
4th Oct 2002, 20:02
Thanks for that RedSnail.

My intentions are to carry out the PPL/NR Locally at the nearby flight school. I was then planning some hour building in Florida and to follow the ATPL's distance learning.

After that it was then onto the CPL/IR/MCC etc Phew!

Thanks and I hope your hard earned licences have paid off.

Regards,
B1.

redsnail
5th Oct 2002, 03:33
Yep, the Oz one did.
Now the JAR ATPL is about to pay off too. :D
Phew.

Daifly
5th Oct 2002, 14:54
Or get a mate with a PC to type out a letter from Big Airways and take that giving their direct dial number should they wish to confirm the above.

I suppose, technically, that's fraud, but I'm sure it's not the first time...

BravoOne
5th Oct 2002, 16:56
I think the only way to obtain a flying carrier now is to form your own FTO and carry out your own training, then on completion of your training start your own damn airline! At least that's what is expected from us!

Do we have to resort to crime to feed our addiction because as far as I'm concerned...flying is an addiction too!

B1.