View Full Version : ATPL theory exam costs £718 ??!!!

Deputy Dog
8th Aug 2001, 14:48
Hi Guys,

Why oh why does the ATPL theory exam cost £718 ???????? Is this daylight robbery or what !!!!

Anyone seen that program on telly recently about con artists, where they advertise for movie wannabes, charge them for portfolios, union fees etc, etc, £££+++, but there never was a film in the first place !!!!

How easy would that be to con flying wannabes out of thousands like this !!!

mad_jock
8th Aug 2001, 15:44
I actually think it is quite reasonable for 4 days of professional exams.

medics, engineers, accountants etc all have to pay something similar for 1 exam. And the exams for a Dentist when they are a sen house officer are 3K. So i don't think we do to bad.

Even Micro Sh*te to get there MCSE qualification is the same amount if you don't pass the free upgrade exam.

MJ

rodolphe
8th Aug 2001, 16:06
wel what a good offer. yes take it now at this low low price, you wont find better. after all the computer which marks tests is only on the minium wage.

what a SCAM! well doctors and accountants do not have to pay 50,000 for there training. it is this mentality that has got you wannabes in so much trouble. instead of rufusing to pay you are more than happy to pay without question.

do you have to pay for a desk and chair at the caa, i heard they have some good reasoable rates for hire of £50 per day. but on top of that you need to take into account the air you will breath in while at the caa- that'll set u bak another £100. look at all these hidden costs involved with taking your ATPL exams. not cheap. OUCH

Delta Wun-Wun
8th Aug 2001, 17:29
And when you have spent your £718 and £25000+ on all your flying training, you will have a f/ATPL,which according to Tony`s lot is not a recognised qualification....appparently....so you can`t have tax relief. :eek: :D :eek:

EGDR
8th Aug 2001, 19:49
Yup, keep stumping that dosh up !! Just had the pleasure of the Nav & Met exams. I love it when they squeeze a 1.5 hr exam into 2.5 hrs !! :rolleyes:

[ 08 August 2001: Message edited by: EGDR ]

boxjockey99
8th Aug 2001, 23:44
ANd don't forget the other daylight robbery schemes the Campaign Against Aviation have up their sleeves....
£400 for an initial class 1
£35 per re-sit
£718 again if you stuff up the writtens more than 4 times etc
£172 for license issue
£63 per rating addition for your PPL

Here's an interesting fact the NIGHT rating on the PPL costs £13 per letter if you think about it and the multi the same!!

Bar stewards!!!

BJ :mad: :mad: :mad:

FatFlyer
9th Aug 2001, 00:52
having just taken them at gatwick, one cannot fail to be inpressed by the glass elevators, plush interior furnishings and indoor plants, top quality cars in the directors parking spaces etc at aviation house. The restauraunt is good quality and good value ( obviousley subsidised by the fees). perhaps this is where the money goes ?

TooHotToFly
9th Aug 2001, 03:27
Exactly - If you ever get the privilege of going down to Aviation House, do take advantage of the subsidised canteen - it's our licence fees that help pay for it.

Incidently, its 178 for CPL licence issue and 64 to add a rating on a PPL, 128 to add on to a CPL.

skymarshal 1
10th Aug 2001, 00:36
In my opinion the exam costs were the
cheaper part of the licence compared to
the GFT and IR examiner fees which if
failed need to be payed out fully again.

Unfortunately the CAA is a self funded
organisation run like any other business
which I think is unfair on student pilots

AirScream
10th Aug 2001, 01:03
Having just sat the VFR Communications and IFR communications exams today I cannot understand why they do not merge the exams and charge for just one. They were indistinguishable from each other! We even had the same question appear in both exams!!!

If they merged the 2 exams they could call the new exam "Comminications"!

They could reduce the initial fee accordingly and reduce the probability of a resit.

Both papers were a piece of pi$$. One guy was finished after 8 minutes :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Who else was at Gatwick this week?? Heard anything yet :D

EGDR
10th Aug 2001, 14:29
Heard anything yet ? They only finished yesterday !! SOP is 7-10 days

CentrifugalBaby
10th Aug 2001, 14:43
I waz at gatwick this week for the pepsi challenge, I probably said hi to u all and hope that we dont meet again in 3 weeks time!
How did everybody find the exams? heard horror stories about them but found most of them not to bad bar the exception of PofF and Perf!!Will be retaking them in 3 weeks for sure!
SAFETY IS NO ACCIDENT! :D :D :D

msrogerson
10th Aug 2001, 19:57
As I understand it, to sit the JAA exams in France you pay a fraction of the price. unfortunately i've already parted with my £718 and my French isn't too hot.
Regardless of this, by my calculations the CAA are making a 90% profit.
THE B@STARDS SHOULD BE WEARING MASKS!!! :mad: :mad:

huverluver
10th Aug 2001, 20:13
I luv the CAA!!
The exam costs are cheap if you think about what they are letting you achieve. The CAA are always helpful when I phone up. eg. only 1 minute and 12 seconds to speak to someone this very morning. I don't see what all the complaints are about!
Good on ya CAA and don't worry what people think.
No I don't work for the CAA, I am a pilot too. :D

[ 10 August 2001: Message edited by: frozen chod end ]

AirScream
11th Aug 2001, 14:22
EGDR - Look to the right of "Anyone heard anything?" There is a little grinning green b@stard. This is code for sarcasm
Here is some more:

Fish-head tw@t

EGDR
11th Aug 2001, 15:49
Airscream

I would'nt P$@# on a fishhead if he was on fire.

AirScream
11th Aug 2001, 18:57
EGDR - thats nice to know. So where did you sit your exams this week?

XX514
11th Aug 2001, 21:40
I think what the officer meant to say is that, if you are going to resort to personal abuse, it's often wise to make sure that you're abusing the right person with the right abuse.

Best of luck with the results CU

Dolphin 124.

EGDR
11th Aug 2001, 22:01
Airscream - I had the pleasure in Glasgow. Which was great because the college where they were at was also hosting several bagpipe bands practising for a big competition !!

Nothing helps you focus more than a pipe band !! :mad:

All skimmers are just targets as far as I'm concerned :D

[ 11 August 2001: Message edited by: EGDR ]

Deputy Dog
13th Aug 2001, 20:24
msrogerson,

How much are they in France then??
Are they (exams)in english ??
What other places can you do them ??

I still would like to know why they have to charge so much for a few tests. What are they charging for ????

Regards

DD
:confused: null :eek: