PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Shanghai

Grafter
4th Oct 2002, 11:56
I wonder if anyone could help me with some information, to start with, i would like to apologise if i am in the wrong forum!

Anyway, i may be moving to Shanghai in the very near future with work and things like that (the other half is going, i'm just following!!). I am trying to find information about flying schools in the Shanghai area.

Are there many or any schools there that i could use for further training or hour building? I am a PPL with night rating.

Any information that you could give will be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Grafter

Le Pilot
5th Oct 2002, 06:24
Grafter

Sorry to disappoint you but there are no flying schools in the Shanghai area. Just to fly into the City airport or the new Pudong out south west requires strict tracking due to the Military owning the airways.
Nearly all Chinese trained Civilian Pilots did their time in Chengdu, Sichuan Province. Not sure if it's open to foreigners.
email me at [email protected] if you need more info.

Cheers

daifei
5th Oct 2002, 12:53
I have read a year ago in an expat magazine in China about a flying school recently set up in Shanghai, I was living in Beijing at that time and I am not very familiar with Shanghai so I dont remember the exact field. They were interviewing a few expats flying there, so I guess it wont be hard to find. Since then I have also read about another one in Chengdu (Sichuan), abit far for you but if anyone is interested.

It is true that it has been the local policy in China not to allow foreigners flying (private) over the country for military, defence issues, I guess it has changed, may be they realized that satellites were flying over their heads and taking pictures for a long time now.

However, I also remember something which you may want to be aware of...the price, 2000 RMB/Hr!!!!!! (about 250 Us$) for a basic private club mono aircraft, not a beechcraft neither a citation (for which it would be cheap anyway).

Zhu ni hao feixing!

kwika
5th Oct 2002, 13:17
Grafter, there is a flying school in Shanghai.

It has Cessna 172s. You can learn to fly and be tested/examined for an FAA Private Licence.

There are restrictions / limitations on where you may fly. These may or may not be acceptable to you but this is their train set.

The people involved are all locals. Also they are enthusiastic and professional.

Language is always a problem unless you have already become fluent in either Shanghainese or Mandarin (Putong Wha).

A designated flying area has been set aside for use by the club and encompasses three or four satellite airports. Approved cross-country routes north, south and west total over 1000 kilometres.

If you wish to check this out please feel free to contact me when you arrive and I shall point you in the right direction.

Le Pilot
6th Oct 2002, 01:33
Grafter & Kwika
I stand corrected.
When I asked the Chinese Pilots (military) They passed on the above information.
Keeping me as a mushroom in Haikou... Easy to grow with all the moisture down here...let alone the BS.

Grafter
7th Oct 2002, 13:30
I would just like to thank you all for replying to my question, it is good to get the local knowledge. I spent quite a while searching the net and the only information i came up with was about flying model aircraft! Oh well there you go........

Thanks again,

Grafter