PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Doors...Kinda

Ace Rimmer
4th Oct 2002, 07:33
I can't believe this hasn't been posted already... Last night the crew of a certain airline famed for fast turns and crap service (you pays yer money and takes yer choice bhegorrah) managed to lock themselves out of the flight deck in front of an audience of about 50 assorted aviation types and PPRuNers (which is why I can't believe it hasn't been posted earlier). All very comical watching them blagging a high lift and going in through the side window.

POL.777
4th Oct 2002, 07:46
:D LOL :D

packsonflite
4th Oct 2002, 08:21
Was it just a coincidence?

When I read this thread for the first time, what advert was flashing away at the top of the screen....................?

..............you guessed it, Ryanair!

:) :) :) :)

PaxmanwithInfo
4th Oct 2002, 08:37
Close this rubbish! Posted by children.

All of you guys really are acting like ars*holes - de ye know?

Tell me you've never locked your keys in the car or that you in fact have never lived in a glasshouse ocassionally?

That's just nasty and unprofessional rubbish.

What age are ye? 12 or something?

I say you wouldn't happen to be English chappies by any chance?

The " begorrah" comment is so unecessary.

Patent racism and jealousy can never be defended...

I'm getting pretty sick of the colonial and anti-Irish bias on PPRUNE.

Ace Rimmer
4th Oct 2002, 08:53
Paxmanwithinfo
Either you are a wind up mechant or you are in dire need of a chill pill. Have you never laughed at either yourself for locking yourself out of your house or car or more likely somebody else - anyway from the sounds of the PAs one was of nordic origin and the other an anglo.

outofsynch
4th Oct 2002, 08:57
why not just shutdown apu and let door unlock itself... with a lot more dignity for all involved!

Devils Advocate
4th Oct 2002, 10:33
Now let me see...... DA reaches into his bag of jokes......ah this one might serve my purpose......

There’s this fella conducting a survey in the street on what people believe is the worlds greatest invention.

First off he interviews a Danish guy who is walking down the street,

“Excuse me sir, but what do you believe is the worlds greatest invention ?”.

The Dane replies, “Ah that’s easy, it’s the Space Shuttle !”

“And why’s that ?” asks the interviewer.

To which the Dane replies, “Well it’s full of technology, is somewhat reusable, and has loads of spin-offs for human kind and the planet”

The interviewer thanks the Dane for his viewpoint and the Dane wanders off.

A few minutes later a woman from Kenya is walking down the street and our interviewer asks her the same question, to which the lady replies, “Uhm,........ It’s modern medicine !”

“And why’s that ?” asks the interviewer.

To which the Kenyan lady replies, “Well it makes people better and helps people with pain”.

The interviewer thanks the Kenyan for her viewpoint and the Kenyan wanders off.

A few minutes later an chap from Ireland is walking down the street and our intrepid interviewer asks him the same question, to which the Irishman replies, “Uhm, ...... give me a minute now, err, got it - It’s the Thermos Flask !”

“What ?!” says the interviewer, “So far I’ve had the space shuttle for all the technology it contains, modern medicine for all the good it does for human-kind, and you’re telling me that the worlds greatest invention is the Thermos Flask – when all it does is to keep things hot and keep things cold.”

To which the Irishman replies, “Ahh, but how does it know ?!”

So, PaxmanwithInfo, would you say that the above is an un-PC / racist / Irish bashing joke ?

And what’s with all the ‘de ye’, and ‘Ye see’, you sound like my mum fecks sake, you’ll be havin’ us all guilty of saying top-o-d’mornin’ next !

PS. Not sure if this is relevant to any answer(s), but my family herald from a small village called Mooncoin - which you’ll find just outside Waterford in the south of Ireland – albeit that many are now scattered to all four ( err, or is it five ? ;) ) corners of the globe.

PaxmanwithInfo
4th Oct 2002, 10:48
It would appear that I'm a wind-up merchant. The joke was sh*te by the way and offensive because it was sh*te more than anything else. Betraying your roots... tut tut.

Ask your mum for help with the answers.

Laughing at others misfortune is fun - if that's you bag.

When ethnicity is linked with an act of stupidity - I cry foul.

I think I'm entitled to my view - d'y'know?

If I wish to post phonetically - I shall - okay?

Relax boys. Take a chill pill yersels and less of the stereotyping for fun.

Lucifer
4th Oct 2002, 10:51
Nobody said the pilots were Irish above - they could be from anywhere. Not sure where you draw jealousy from either.

Ace Rimmer
4th Oct 2002, 10:57
Indeed. In fact I pointed out that they wern't but yer man appers to be a tad on the sensitive side. Still it was funny, head down arse up legs kicking in the breeze.

PaxmanwithInfo
4th Oct 2002, 11:10
Sensitive I am. Bladdy hell mateys! I really should not have poked my head up from steerage.

More commercially sensitive than "emotionally" sensitive actually.

Anyways, it does sound like a funny incident - it's simply a matter of how it was reported publically on a British forum.

That's all.

AMEX
4th Oct 2002, 11:22
British Forum ?? Dam ! Where does it say that PaxmanwithInfo ? I mean I have never really read all the fine print so I may never have realised I wasn't allowed here. I ll get my coat then....

Thought the thread was about Flight Deck Doors...Kinda not about the country who has created the best beverage ever.

Is it because Ryanair's name was mentioned ??? Hard to find a more cosmopolitan airline really whether it is wrt its bases or crew origins.

Chill Pill double dose:D (i ll have one too. It's for equal opportunities that one :D)

denachtenmai
4th Oct 2002, 11:29
paxmanwithinfo.
I think that you are probably funnier than the joke, please, more communications, you have covered humour, point us in the "correct" direction regarding other points of view; as a relative newcomer to PPrune I would advise you not to access the archives, you could have a serious sense of humour failure.
denachtenmai.

FlyingV
4th Oct 2002, 12:16
Where did the "50 assorted aviation types and PPRuNers" come from?

Was it a queue to join the company?

Rgds,
V.

Ace Rimmer
4th Oct 2002, 13:05
In order to protect the innocent (or in this case guilty we wouldn't want MOL finding out who the crew were do we?) I can reveal only that they'd been at an airline related conf and I did say that they were an assorted bunch. Of those qualified to do I doubt if many of em would be joining a queue to join MOLs happy breed anytime soon. Anyway, FAR more interesting was the huge number of Red Bull promo girls who also happened to be on the same flight.

DamienB
4th Oct 2002, 13:13
Paxmaninfo - you surely can't be really offended by the use of 'begorrah', I've never known any Irishman to be offended by an Irish joke or derogatory reference of any kind unless they were a humourless Irish wannabe (e.g. Grandad once looked at a brochure for a holiday chalet in Donegal).

All a bit PC this... from another Irishman (who is secure in the knowledge we come from the Greatest Nation on Earth and therefore are clearly a target for jokes from Lesser Nations).

sugarbird
4th Oct 2002, 14:27
I'd have posted something about this incident if it hadn't been out so late last night - I've only just woken up.
My initial reaction is similar to Ace Rimmer's but not so much on this board but in the general media - don't they know yet? I'm pretty sure that MOL will soon know about it then and the whole world will LOL.

brabazon
4th Oct 2002, 15:36
I was on that flight too - I'm surprised no one took a photo as the First Officer clambered through the window - or did they?

Perhaps there needs to be a switch linked to the nose-wheel which de-activates the cabin door locking mechanism when the aircraft is on the deck. There apparently is a door stop, but it wasn't put in place before the door slammed shut.

So how many other PPRUNERs were on board?

GS-Alpha
4th Oct 2002, 15:54
I have heard of it happening at least three times within my company. Didn't really think it was news though. I think it is a case of "there are those that have, and those that will"... and sometimes those that fit into both of the above...

FlapsOne
4th Oct 2002, 23:22
If you're not on the flight deck the only way to shut down the APU is by using the Fire handle in the wheel well - you then need an engineer to re-set it (or some hasty advice on the phone!).

There should really be no need to climb in through the window as any piece of kit about 3 feet long would have been able to reach the button.

Now who carries round something 3 feet long?

Mowgli
5th Oct 2002, 11:56
To add to the post about the thermos flask on page one, a certain footballer called David Peckum saw one in a shop and was so amazed by its capabilities he decided to buy it.

At training the next day he was showing it to his mates when his boss Sir Alick Farquarson asked him what he was doing.

David explains to his boss how clever this thermos fing is cos it keeps hot things hot and cold fings cold.

"Very good son" says Sir Alick, "And what have you got in it today?"

David replied "A cup of tea and an ice cream boss"

Ace Rimmer
5th Oct 2002, 12:22
Brabazon: I'd guestimate a good 7 or 8 I'd just blown the last few frames so I didn't get one but somebody else might have.

747FOCAL
6th Oct 2002, 10:45
Who really cares about the door. Any fool knows that the bulkhead between the biffy and the flightdeck is paper. On a 747 the first class area is ripe for shots through the floor.

Shoot out a window and the door will open anyway.

What you want is people that remember the 11th and attack the terrorists and over power them. Without help from the people on board relying on that door to save the plane is a sucker bet.