PDA

View Full Version : Study on Pilot Min Requirements

DMcK
4th Oct 2002, 06:11
GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY RESEARCH PROJECT
TOPIC
MINIMUM PILOT REQUIREMENTS.

Dear Fellow Aviator,
I am currently studying a Bachelor of Aviation at Griffith University; in the 3rd year of this degree we are asked to undertake a research project on a topic of interest that is related to aviation. My chosen topic relates to the minimum pilot requirements and industry requirements with regard to, the current CAO’s 82.1 & 3 and proposed rule makings (NPRM’s) 121B.960 of CASA. Could you please assist me with my research, by taking a few moments of your time to answer a short questionnaire in relation to this topic?

Objective
Is to survey various members of the industry in the form of, Operators, Chief Pilots, Training organisations, Pilots, Insurance Companies, Student Pilots and members of aviation related organisations, to obtain feedback and comments on the possibilities of a shortage of experienced pilots to fulfil positions. Also to open up to discussion the possibility of developing a syllabus of training directly orientated to the Public Air Transport industry, which may make it possible for some exemptions or lower minimum requirements due to the more advanced training.

Background
Under CASAs new proposed CASR 121B, Charter Operations and Regular Public Transport will be encompassed under new regulations for Air Transport Operations. CAO 82.1 and 82.3 will be replaced by CASR 121B.960. This will greatly impact charter operations and specifically single pilot multi-engine < 5700kg with maximum passenger capacity of nine.
New pilots are having great difficult in obtaining positions, that allow them to develop the experience required to enter Regional and National air carriers, quite often the minimum experience requirements of small charter operators are far in excess of the minimums required under CAO 82.1 (charter) and 82.3 (RPT).

CAO 82.1 Para 4 (Charter Operations)
Obligation in Relation to Flight Crew Requirements
Each operator who holds a certificate authorising charter operations must ensure that a person does not act as pilot in command of multi-engine aeroplanes not exceeding 5700kg MTOW that are engaged in charter operations unless that pilot satisfies the following requirements:
(a) in the case of VFR operations, the pilot must, unless he or she has at least 100 hours experience as pilot in command of multi-engine aeroplanes, have, in addition to endorsement time, at least 5 hours experience as pilot in command of the aircraft type; and
(b) in the case of IFR operations, the pilot must have at least 10 hours experience as pilot in command of the aircraft type which may include flight time accrued as pilot acting in command under supervision.
(c)
CAO 82.3 Appendix 4 (RPT Operations <5700kg)
Qualifications of Pilots in Command
CategorySingle pilot aeroplanes- normal category QualificationsCommercial pilot (aeroplanes) licence or air transport pilot (aeroplane) licence.Command (multi-engine aeroplane) instrument rating. Minimum aeronautical experience700hours total experience as a pilot that include:150hours as a pilot-in-command (or acting as pilot-in-command) on multi-engine aeroplanes under the instrument flight rules; and 10 hours as pilot-in-command (or acting as pilot-in-command) on the aeroplane type; and 50 hours experience as pilot on night operations.
CASR 121B.960 Pilots in command and second pilots – Instrument rating, licence and experience requirements
(a) An operator must ensure that a CPL holder does not act as pilot in command of an aeroplane unless the aeroplane is certificated for single pilot operations and, if one or more passengers are carried, the pilot has the following minimum experience and qualifications:
Type of Operation IFR or night under 121B.201(b)(1) AeroplaneMulti-engine aeroplanes Minimum Pilot in Command Experience Requirements700 hrs (500 hrs in the case of and aeroplane having an MAPSC not exceeding 9) as a pilot of registered or recognised aeroplanes, including 300 hrs (150 hrs in the case of an aeroplane having MAPSC not exceeding 9) as PIC under IFR which includes 40 hrs multi-engine of which 20 hrs must be on the type or class of aeroplane concerned, all of which may be ICUS, plus a valid, appropriate I/R plus, if operating at night, 50 hrs as a pilot at night.

Concerns
As it stands at the present, not withstanding insurance and company requirements, a recently qualified commercial pilot with 10 hrs on type and an instrument rating, is able to get a position that enables him to use his qualifications. Under the proposed 121B.960 this will not be possible. Currently aviation has a reasonable spread of pilots capable of filling most positions with the exception of some Grade 1 instructors and CFI’s, however it may be possible after the implementation of these new regulations that most junior pilots will not be able to find positions that will allow them to improve their skills. This has the potential of broadening the gap between newly qualified pilots and positions with companies under the new Air Transport Operations rule.

Please free to add comment. Anonymity is assured and I request that you only include your position within aviation to the nearest category.

Thank you for your time in anticipation,
Griffith University Questionnaire.

Do you feel under the current CPL training syllabus that there is a lack of industry specific knowledge and experience passed on to the prospective student?
 Agree  Disagree
Comment…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………………………………………………………

Under the proposed new CASR’s, is there the possibility of pilots being unable to gain the necessary experience to evolve in the aviation system?
 Agree  Disagree
Comment…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………… ……………………………………………………………………………

Universities have been offering degrees in aviation for some time now, Is a pilot with a University Degree better prepared to meet the industry requirement?
 Agree  Disagree

Many charter operators have for a long time been the breeding ground of airline pilots, allowing them to obtain industry experience, the minimum’s for these operations now exceed the minimum requirements for airlines. In your opinion are these requirements set for the purpose of:
 To meet the requirements of contract customers?
 To alleviate the continuous applications of pilots looking for employment?
 To meet insurance requirements?

Insurance companies offer a variety of rates dependant on pilot experience, is this having a major impact on the decision of operators not to hire pilots with low hours?
 Agree  Disagree

Could these companies reconsider their requirements relative to an advanced type of training received?
 Agree  Disagree

Which of the models of training and experience do you think meets the future requirements of industry?
A-Current CPL SyllabusSelf funded ratings and endorsements(including M/E CIR and ATPL)Non remuneration for ICUS time B-Modified Syllabus including CIR, ATPL with and extension of hours required,Self sponsored positions within organisations to accrue the necessary requirements C-A specifically structured syllabus that provides;Multi-engine NVFR150 hours of IF90 hours multi-engine50 hours PIC multi-engine IF250 hours plus total timeUniversity Degree (incl. ATPL and CRM)
 A B C

Consider the proposal of a Air Transport Operations syllabus of training for Commercial students, that allows them to conduct operations as pilot in command of multi-engine aeroplanes with a maximum seating capacity of 9, under IFR by day in conditions of VMC at the departure and destination aerodromes. An example of such a syllabus:
45hrs PPL style of training
10hrs NVFR
10hrs Multi-engine endorsement
5hrs Multi-engine NVFR Dual
5hrs Multi-engine NVFR solo
20hrs Multi-engine IFR (plus 20hrs simulator)
20hrs VFR cross country
70hrs IFR cross country
50hrs Multi-engine IFR cross-country solo

Please rate this proposal on a scale of 1 – 5;
 1 Excellent  2  3  4  5

Please indicate your position within aviation;

Operator/Chief Pilot
 Insurance organisation
 Training organisation
 Commercial Pilot
 Student Pilot
 Other

If you have any further comments regarding the topic please feel free to express your opinion.
Comment:……………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Pls cut and paste the questionaire and email to [email protected]

DMcK
5th Oct 2002, 08:23
Unless people put forward their oppinions the minority that control will always get their way! I t might seem a waste of time helping, but with enough responses then I might be able to submit this project to CASA as a response from industry. please take the few minutes to giv it a go.

DMcK
10th Oct 2002, 10:13
I belive Casa is reconsidering even though they don't know what you are thinking pls respond

redsnail
10th Oct 2002, 13:04
DMck
All very laudable but at this time of year especially in the northern parts of Oz, the CP and Ops people are still very busy. The smaller organisations just don't have the person power to sit down and wade through your document.
It's a great start but it's too long for most people/operators to devote the time to it.

High Altitude
11th Oct 2002, 00:36
Didn't read all of your post but in summary.

We look for pilots that will fit in first regardless of experience. They must be able to fit into the team and that means be able to have a beer with the boys, help each other out, i.e. loading an aircraft, support peers and fellow employees and generally have a good attitude preferably with some life experience.

This year we have empoyed:-
a 210 hr pilot,
350 hr pilot,
2300 hr pilot,
2500 hr pilot,
1500 hr pilot,
700 hr pilot,
etc, as can be seen a broad mix.

Its all about what the company requirements are at the time. In a perfect world you start a pilot with 200-500 hours (unfortunatley our minimum has changed to 500hrs) and they fly the C210/C206 out bush and do it tough and enjoy life at the same time. They learn living out bush about life, business as a rule as they all have input and how to fly a plane in difficult and remote locations, then they will promote onto a twin at the remote base where they are, now they will either move on from there or if required move into the big smoke to fly. This all hinges on the airlines employing as if the airline do not employ then there is no upwards movement for employees without company expansion - which for us has happened giving guys opportunities.

Now to be realistic the quality of pilot put out by some schools is nothing short of disgusting, some pilots would not know how to tie there own shoelace let alone captain a bug basher, and some of these have multi engine instrument ratings???

I have also mentioned in the past that the guys/gals that have worked for their own flying seem to appreciate it more and do generally turn out to be a better employee, yes it is a generalisation however it is the basic fact.

With the proposed new rules it will disadvantage the majority. We would love to employ newbies and train them our way, after all how else do you get a start? Northern Air Charter turns 7 this year, I was given my start with 230 hrs in a 182 which is something I will never forget.

All I can say to the upcoming pilot of the future is never give up, if you want it bad enough you will get it. TRUST ME...

HA,
MD
NACERED,
Northern
Air
Charter
Every
Reason
Every
Day...

p.s. Yes the insurance companies prefer more hours.