PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Calculator for ATPLs?

JetMouse
3rd Oct 2002, 13:24
I'm looking for a calculator for the ATPL studies (non-programmable as I want to be able to use it in the exams) is there one that can be recommended?

I had a look back through the archives and found that the Casio FX-991 MS and the Casio FX-570W were the calculators of choice. However the later is no longer made and I can't tell if the former can calculate time...

Thanks
JM

redsnail
3rd Oct 2002, 14:17
I am not exactly sure by what you mean "calculate time".
Any scientific calculator will do but look for one that has deg/min/sec selection because that is useful when changing from decimal time to minutes/seconds.
Just make sure you are 100% comfortable with it and know how the memory works. In Gen Nav you don't have the time to be mucking around with it.
Make sure the batteries are good too.

Rote 8
3rd Oct 2002, 15:06
I used an fx991 MS for my Gen Nav - It has been recommended here in the past because it has the facility to do conversions e.g m - nautical miles, and that type of thing. It does not have ant time conversions (that I am aware of) - that said it probably does a million and one things that I dont know about.

Nice calculator but fairly pricey compared to some of the GCSE level scientific calculators which are more than adequate.

So long as it has sin,cos and tan you are in business mate.
(deg/min/sec conversion would come in handy).

oxford blue
4th Oct 2002, 07:38
Oxford recommend (and issue as standard equipment to all our residential students) the Casio fx-85WA. It does everything you need, complies with JAA regulations, and is not expensive.

You can convert time using the DMS function. Distance conversions are best done on the CRP-5, anyway.

Rote 8
4th Oct 2002, 08:31
Agree with Oxford Blue with regard to the distance conversions, although the calculator has them I did not find myself using them at all.
At the end of the day it really is not an issue which calculator you use - damn plastic brains should be banned from the exams anyway - (apparently)

Sky Goose
4th Oct 2002, 10:47
I used the CASIO fx-83WA, has all the functions including time conversions and only costs 7 quid.:D

deza
4th Oct 2002, 14:51
TRY CARROL VORDAMAN?
CHEERS

DEZA

Stu Bigzorst
5th Oct 2002, 10:42
I would suggest a BIG one.

You can write more on the back.

Stu

Propellerhead
5th Oct 2002, 14:02
Get one that does conversions. CAA still have a question that asks you to convert litres to gallons. takes a bit of time on the CRP-5 but is one function on the fx-570w.